Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 10/26/2006 8:22:04 AM EST
To getting the SOB's out? I've removed plenty of A2's, and they came out with out too much trouble. This is on an FNMI A1 barrel, I've heated it, hit it (really hard). Nothing even budged the damn things. Any of youi guys know a trick that might make this easier? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:03:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:10:37 AM EST
What Dano said, hammer size 2 lb minimum. Good hefty punch. Very good support for the sight base.

Don't be a wuss, knock the hell out of it. Light taps will peen the pin turning it into a rivet, then it is dremmel and drill time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:22:45 AM EST
Take it to an Armorer!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:58:07 AM EST
gonna need a bigger hammer.

kinda like playing "whack-a-mole"
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:08:38 PM EST
I've been using a brass punch, gonna break out the big steel one and 2lb. hammer! I was just wondering as I've never had one this hard to remove.

Originally Posted By markm:
Take it to an Armorer!

No need to, I am or, was an Armorer for the Army. Just never seen a FSB that was this difficult to remove.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:10:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:19:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By CIB:
I've been using a brass punch, gonna break out the big steel one and 2lb. hammer! I was just wondering as I've never had one this hard to remove.

Originally Posted By markm:
Take it to an Armorer!

No need to, I am or, was an Armorer for the Army. Just never seen a FSB that was this difficult to remove.

shit man, get yourself a STEEL punch.

I bent two steel punches trying to drive out Bushmaster pins.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:01:57 PM EST
height=8
Originally Posted By sovereign:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/triuneself/IMG_0609.jpg

Are you supporting the FSB with the socket ??
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:24:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By John1125:

Yes. It is a 4mm socket which is used to surround the pin (I think I got the idea from Troy). I ground it down slightly on one side to match the curve of the FSB. It provides direct support behind the pin. The other key is having a hard unforgiving surface (metal anvil) to support the socket so there is no absorption of energy from the hammer blow. Next, whack the hell out of it with a big hammer using a metal punch (i.e.: ground down nail set with a concave point to center the punch). This is only what I use- there are other methods which I am sure work as well...
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:29:06 AM EST
height=8
height=8
Originally Posted By John1125:
height=8

Yes. It is a 4mm socket which is used to surround the pin (I think I got the idea from Troy). I ground it down slightly on one side to match the curve of the FSB. It provides direct support behind the pin. The other key is having a hard unforgiving surface (metal anvil) to support the socket so there is no absorption of energy from the hammer blow. Next, whack the hell out of it with a big hammer using a metal punch (i.e.: ground down nail set with a concave point to center the punch). This is only what I use- there are other methods which I am sure work as well...

Thank you for the reply , great idea .
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:07:37 PM EST
After soaking with some wd40...my FSB/barrel fits in my universal plastic bench block from brownells. IIRC my taper pins were installed from the ejection side, therefore pound out from the safety side.
Top Top