Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2006 2:37:26 PM EDT
Does anybody know how the airlines would react to somebody with a stripped lower?  Do you have to declare & check it in like other firearms or would you be allowed to carry it on yourself?  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If the BATFE consider's it a firearm, I would suggest you go the extra mile and have it declared. Just my $.02....

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#3]
TECHNICALLY, the lower receiver of an AR - the part carrying the serial number - is considered a firearm and, given the severe penalties for packing an undeclared firearm in your bag, I'd just go ahead & declare the thing and be done with it.  I fly a great deal with a firearm in my suitcase & generally I have no problems.  I just deal with it quietly and professionally and I seldom have issues.  

One final word: If they don't want to give you the firearms declaration and tell you to just go ahead through TSA security, MAKE SURE that you have the ticket agents name.  If TSA gives you problems - sorry, most of them are little better than idiots - you'll be able to refer them back to the ticket agent who gave you the bum steer!

Oh, and have it in a hard, lockable case with a padlock!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does anybody know how the airlines would react to somebody with a stripped lower?  Do you have to declare & check it in like other firearms or would you be allowed to carry it on yourself?  

If you take it carry on there is chance that the TSA guys won't even know what it is.  On the other hand, if one does, you better have a good supply of vasoline for your stay in prison.  Treat it just like you would a fully assembled & functioning firearm, or risk the consequences.  (sp?)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top