Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2013 10:19:34 AM EDT
Picked up a rifle that's been rattle canned. What is safe to use on the whole rifle? Metal and plastic parts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I found this thread and used Jasco on AlumahydeII which is rattle canned.  Good luck and wear gloves and eye protection.  Also don't breath the vapors.  This stuff is potent.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Picked up a rifle that's been rattle canned. What is safe to use on the whole rifle? Metal and plastic parts.

Chain it to the back of your truck and drag it down the driveway.

...Oh sorry I missed the "Safe" portion.

The correct answer is what the above posters said.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Paint over it again.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Brake fluid and a brillo pad will take care of a rattle can pain job.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Aircraft Stripper from AutoZone.  Beware, that stuff is Satan's snot.
Use chemical proof gloves and eye protection.  

Works best when the part is heated or has been laying in the hot
summer sun.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Lacquer thinner works perfect on all metal and anodized parts. They end up dull, but then just wipe them down with an oil rag, and everything looks new again.

Plastic parts will need to be cleaned with 91% alcohol.  It will take a little elbow grease to get it nice and clean, but you won't harm the plastic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife saw it and liked it so has claimed the rifle as her own. I didn't complain.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:59:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Just did this on an ar. Use Crc brakekleen non chlorinated on the plastic and use a scrub brush. Rinse with water. Use aircraft stripper in the spray can and a soft brass brush on the metal. If any brass is on the finish use hoppes to remove the brass. Or if you can find a brush that will hold up to the stripper go for it. I would spray with stripper let it sit for twenty min then scrub like hell with the brush in the mess sink with the water running. Don't get the stripper on your skin it hurts like hell. After rinsing and all the paint is off dry then wd40  and wipe clean then clp the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 1:02:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Citristrip and a very still brush

I got paint off of everything from optics, to polymer
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:13:40 AM EDT
[#12]
acetone.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top