Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2006 3:44:12 AM EDT
I bought a few Streamlight scorpions months ago and want to mount one on my new AR. I had no luck using the search function and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. My AR is an A4 flat top and has the original handguards and front sight post.  
This weapon is my third home defense choice and the first two (glock 22, and Benelli 12ga) have lights. It is not paramount that my AR have a light but I figured if I have extras, why not?
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:56:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought a Streamlight NF-2 would make a nice weapons light for my latest CAR build. I used two standard 1” Weaver rings and a piece of black rubber at the ring base to make up for the difference in size between the rings and light body. Second time out on the range the light bulb vibrated out of the socket. Seems the bulb only uses pins as contacts and the bulb pins vibrated out. I knew I should have purchased a second Surefire G2 instead!

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I, too have been a fan of the Scorpians for some time.
They make great night stand lights.
 I found a quick release mount made by a NC company
called "Quik-2-See", or something like that. This mount
has a flashlight mount that has a release button built in.
The other component is a matching aluminum part that
mounts on the weapon of choice. It's not a mill spec
set up, but here's why it works for me. As stated by
Quib, the bulb will walk out of position under recoil
after about 30 -40 rounds on a .223/5.56 AR, however,
with the convenience of being able to readily remove the
light, I simply don't leave it on the gun, unless it's dark
& I need it. In other words, I don't need the light at the range
during daylight hours, so why beat it up. I did the same thing
at a carbine class & only put it on during the night shoot.
It wasn't as Gucci as some of the high dollar milspec lights
there, but it worked just fine for the 20 rounds of so that I
shot that night. I did check the bulb later that night & I could
tell that it wasn't fully seated, but it worked. I always  keep
looking for an affordable shock bezel light, but for now this
set up works me. It  would be just fine if I had to do a walk
around my house some night if required.   I used to buy these
mounts at a local gun show, but when I asked that dealer
about them the last time (2 years ago?) he said that they
had been bought out by a big company & he didn't make/carry
them any more. I did a google some time back & I did find
them on some sites. I will post pic's if interested if my
non team status will allow...  LMK.

My other add on is/was Ramline scope covers that you
can change the lens. I added red gels that allow me
to use the light discretely & save my night vision. A flip
of the thumb takes me to white light.

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the input,
my scorpion is also a night stand light. I am working in the direction of a removable mount as well. My intentions will be in that manner too, put it on when in the safe and remove it for any daytime shooting or range time. It is too bad streamlight hasn't mastered that yet, I'm sure we aren't the only ones who want to make their lights more useful. Still I dont see myself paying hundreds of dollars more for another light when I have 3 of these. I'll just figure out a way to make them work.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had my Scorpion light for at least 4 years now.  It's pretty tough.  I think the rubber housing helps alot.  I've used but not quite abused it.  It's only recently that I decided to mount it on my AR.  I'm using a Viking offset mount with it.  I'll take it to the range and see how it holds up sometime soon.  I know it's not the ideal flashlight to use, but i'll stick with it for now.  

http://members.aol.com/boonsht/mount1

http://members.aol.com/boonsht/mount2

http://members.aol.com/boonsht/myar1

I'll upgrade the light and get an optic as funds permit.

Maybe you could get one of those handguard rails that you attach to the bottom of the handguard and possibly mount it there at 6 o'clock.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:16:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am working in the direction of a removable mount as well. My intentions will be in that manner too, put it on when in the safe and remove it for any daytime shooting or range time. It is too bad streamlight hasn't mastered that yet, I'm sure we aren't the only ones who want to make their lights more useful.

I'm glad you guys are liking the Scorpion, as I had read some unflattering comments about them recently.  A pair of Scorpions (one Xenon, one LED) will arrive TODAY.  I had planned on using them as "glove box" lights for long term storage in my vehicles.

BTW, Streamlight is now marketing a QD light mounting system that is compatible with their TL series lights.  As shown, it is QD capable, can be mounted when needed, and leaves a very small footprint (note the small bit of rail on the handguard) when not in use.  They HAVE mastered a light system that is unique, practical, and relatively inexpensive.

Paladin
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:41:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm glad you guys are liking the Scorpion, as I had read some unflattering comments about them recently.  A pair of Scorpions (one Xenon, one LED) will arrive TODAY.  I had planned on using them as "glove box" lights for long term storage in my vehicles.

The Scorpion lights are excellent glove box lights.  I don't care for them on my guns, however.  The beam is crappy.  If these guys are going to invest in light mount gear, I'd recommend that they do so with another light format.

I use insight M3 and/or the surefires for my weapon mounted lights, but a scorpion beats the hell out of no light at all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:17:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I got some time to play with them last night.  Beam quality is not quite up to the Surefire level, but is decent.

The Scorpion LED is a cheap way to get a nice throwing 1 watt LED that is Regulated.  Quite a bit brighter "hot spot" than the older TL-2 LED's(30 lumens) that I have come to really enjoy using.  The focus is "fixed", and I doubt it could be any better.  Nice output, very good side spill, and a pure "white" output.  Botach had them for $35 on sale, BTW.

The LED version is considerably larger than the older TL-2's, in fact it is almost the length of a TL-3 nine volt light.  The Streamlight 2L3W model is only slightly larger, and performs MUCH better while providing regulation and two light levels (100% and 25%).

The Scorpion Xenon ($25 on sale) model is about like a 6P in performance, with maybe a little more output.  But the rear clickie I find a pain to depress thru the rubber covering.  It seems like eventually the rubber would stretch and tear.  Even the wife thought it was an awkward switching arrangement, but we both agreed the "momentary" operation was pretty good.

I do NOT care for the stickiness of the rubber covering when trying to carry the light in my back pocket.  In extreme cold weather, it would be great, but my AO is warm almost year round.

NOT SUITABLE for weapon mounting, IMO.  The Xenon uses the older, non-Shockproof lamp holder.  And having to remove the bezel for battery changes yields an opportunity to lose something vital.

At a DELIVERED price just under $60 for the pair, I feel they are a good value.  At normal retail pricing, I would have passed.  The Streamlight TL series that cost a little more are better values IMO.  The LED version is a winner in most regards.  The Xenon is "just another 6 volt light" that while functional and fairly well made, is not exceptional in any area.  HTH.

Paladin
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top