Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2005 6:47:34 PM EDT
I was at the gun show today. I went past one of the streamlight dealers and saw all sorts of new items.
The Tl series of lights now has a shock isolated bulb assembly. I told the dealer too bad they don't make pressure switches. He corrected me and pointed to a display full of pressure switches for them. He said they had them for both long and short switch lengths ($34.95 I thought was a little high). He showed me several mounts for pictany rails. Finally he showed me a kit for the Ar-15. It included an
short pictany rail mount for Ar-15 handguards, a mount for the light, a TL-3, and pressure switch. It had a retail price of $179. He also stated that the shock isolated bulbs will fit the previous TL series of lights.  Considering that you can usually get stramlight products cheaper than list this makes it even more attractive.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 4:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
LApolicegear had the Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle Illumination set on sale for around $85 this weekend.  It includes the new "Shock-Proof" TL-3, green filter, rail mount with AR-15 handguard adapter, lanyard and pocket clip, and an instructional  DVD by Clint Smith.

Given that normal TL-3's are running about $50, it seems very reasonable.  I've been running a TL-3 LED on my "SPR Lite" for a while now, and am very happy with how it has held up.  The new Streamlight mount has a clamp that mates with the grooves in the flashlight body to prevent movement.  The Botach mount must be tightened very well to prevent slippage, so the new style should be an improvement, which will also allow dismounting the light without tools for handheld use.

I have 10(!) Streamlights (three TL-2 LED, two TL-3 LED, two TL-3 xenon, two 3AA tasklight, and a 3C twintask) and all have provided great service.  One TL-3 xenon did have a defective spot weld on the lamp holder "out of the box", for which Streamlight promptly mailed me a replacement part.  HTH.

Paladin

Link Posted: 10/24/2005 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Dang that was not a deal..that was a steal. I wish I would of known. Of course I really dont need one..but??
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine shipped today!  Here's the link:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/stthraurriil.html

Shipping was a little high ($8.75) but the vendor is reliable and prompt about shipping.  They also have the regular TL-3's at $49.99 still.   Getting the mount, green cover, etc. for only $35 more is insane!  HTH.

Paladin

ETA:sent wrong item, although invoiced correctly!
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
What outer dia. is the body of the TL-3? Can it be mounted with a standard 1” Weaver ring?
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What outer dia. is the body of the TL-3?

Per Streamlight and verified with my calipers, 0.900 in. is the body diameter.

A very sweet combo is the TL-2 LED (42 lumens) for EDC, with a TL-3 xenon (200 lumen) for longer throw.  I was trying to write down some tag numbers at 0300 Sunday, and when I shined the TL-3 at my notepad I got a self inflicted "white out" momentarily.  Using the edge of the beam on the paper worked OK, but I am now a much firmer believer in always carrying TWO lights when attending "social events" late at night.  One is none...

The new Streamlight mount should allow scaling the light produced to the current operational requirement  by swapping lights in just moments.  Indoors IMO a TL-2 LED is sufficient, except for blinding power.  In a dead dark house, with dark adapted vision, 42 lumens is pretty darn bright.  If I need to "step outside into the dark", a TL-3 could be mounted in place of the TL-2 LED.  The one not mounted on the weapon will ride in a back pocket readily available for hand held use instead of "lighting up" things by pointing the muzzle at them.

Paladin

EDC= every day carry
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 5:12:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys on the responses on the TL-3 dia. Reason I ask is, to me the included mount in the TL-3 Rifle Tac Package above seems a bit bulky. Plus I’m not a fan of mounting my light to the vent holes below the hand guards.

The TL-3 light it self with the shock feature does sound interesting. And if the possibility exists that I can simply mount a section of Weaver rail to my CAR HG’s at the 11 o’clock position and attach the light via a 1” Weaver ring, I’ll go this route.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Murphy strikes.  The Urban Rifle kit shows up, except they sent the normal Thunder Ranch light set with the key chain light.  NOT the Urban Rifle set with mount.  So no pictures of the new Streamlight mount today...

Paladin

ETA:  they said send back the wrong item, and I will get a credit for the return postage.  the correct item has been pulled and reserved for me.  customer service was very responsive to my problem.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Paladin,

Anxious to see a pic of the TR light mounted on a carbine when you get yours.

Thanks,
Aubrey
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Does the "shock-proof" TL-3 have a shock-isolated body with the shoulder to prevent batteries from slamming into the light assembly or does it have the spring setup like Pentagon lights?  Any pics of the light, both disassembled and mounted, would be great to see.

JSR
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 1:26:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Streamlight could have the headlamp market if they made their Argo HP w/ more optional output settings and able to take a 18650 li-ion cell..
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 5:58:56 AM EDT
[#12]
The new TL-3 "shock proof" model  has an extra spring between the base of the lamp holder and the batteries.  The lamp holder itself looks more substantial, with a thick spacer or buffer in the center.  Beam wise I could not get as good a spot as either of two older TL-3's on hand.

No physical battery isolation was noted.

The Streamlight AR-15 handguard adapter took about 5 minutes to get mounted at 11 oclock on my handguard.  When the light is removed, the small base remaining is very unobtrusive.  The light is mounted high enough to clear a side mounted sling swivel.  For a KISS carbine, this worked out great.

The light clamp mount, a bit bulky, seems really strong.  After viewing Clint Smith effortlessly swap lights several times, I felt vindicated about having wanted the ability to change from a TL-2 LED to TL-3 LED to TL-3 Xenon as conditions warranted.   Having two(or 3) lights is essential, and being able to use them interchangeably in moments can't hurt.

Regardless of what the system cost, I am really happy.  The handguard I chose for drilling DID seem a little flimsy/flexible, but once mounted the light seemed very secure.   IIRC a local dealer had some of the AR handguard mounts, so I can score a few more for modifying a couple more sets of handguards.

Paladin
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The new TL-3 "shock proof" model  has an extra spring between the base of the lamp holder and the batteries.  The lamp holder itself looks more substantial, with a thick spacer or buffer in the center.  Beam wise I could not get as good a spot as either of two older TL-3's on hand.

No physical battery isolation was noted.

The Streamlight AR-15 handguard adapter took about 5 minutes to get mounted at 11 oclock on my handguard.  When the light is removed, the small base remaining is very unobtrusive.  The light is mounted high enough to clear a side mounted sling swivel.  For a KISS carbine, this worked out great.

The light clamp mount, a bit bulky, seems really strong.  After viewing Clint Smith effortlessly swap lights several times, I felt vindicated about having wanted the ability to change from a TL-2 LED to TL-3 LED to TL-3 Xenon as conditions warranted.   Having two(or 3) lights is essential, and being able to use them interchangeably in moments can't hurt.

Regardless of what the system cost, I am really happy.  The handguard I chose for drilling DID seem a little flimsy/flexible, but once mounted the light seemed very secure.   IIRC a local dealer had some of the AR handguard mounts, so I can score a few more for modifying a couple more sets of handguards.

Paladin

Can this be mounted at 1:00 for lefties?  Does putting this mount on require drilling into the handguard?  I like the idea of putting this mount on and being able to change between real bright as hell, or not so bright, depending on the situation...  Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag, Anyone know the answer to Tominators Question, or better yet, have close up pictures of the mount, well, mounted.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got a TL3 for work, and I accidently drove over it the same day at work, still works fine and now has character marks. 59.99 at Jacks uniform sales- Sioux City NE. I will say it is the brightest light of this size I have.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Mine shipped today!  Here's the link:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/stthraurriil.html

Shipping was a little high ($8.75) but the vendor is reliable and prompt about shipping.  They also have the regular TL-3's at $49.99 still.   Getting the mount, green cover, etc. for only $35 more is insane!  HTH.

Paladin

ETA:sent wrong item, although invoiced correctly!

If you ever have to return anything to lapolicegear.com plan on 2 to 3 weeks for your refund.  (I believe that is their definition of "prompt."
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top