Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2003 12:14:02 AM EDT
I was trying to find just a good, just basic light I could mount to my ar.  I don't need anything super tactical, just something that works and is fairly durable.

I saw the streamlight scorpion and Fobus quick release mount.  This seemed PERFECT for just the few occasions I would need it for.  Anyone tried this out??  Is this a good product, or a product TOO cheap??

Another question, I also would like to place this Fobus mount on my 3 rail gas block (from bushmaster).  Does anyone know if this fits.  Is it a bad Idea to mount this to the barrel like that, or is the handguard better( or any difference really).  It's a 24 inch barrel so I don't think it will be to close to the muzzle.  What does everyone think.  I just want something affordable, plain jane, but durable.

Any help suggestions input appreciated

Gundraw
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Scorpion mounted on my AR that's kept by the bed.I use it for target ID but I am hesitant about keeping it on while shooting at the range for fear that the bulb may not hold up.Perhaps someone else has better info on the Scorpion's bulb life when attached to an AR while shooting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Redbone,

I take it that is not good news for my plans.  The lack of any other responces also makes me wonder.  They seem to be able to stand up to recoil, but i would be interested as well.

Anyone fire a weapon with this on it.

ANYONE??????  

Gundraw
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Inexpensive?
Surefire G2 $34
Surefire Z32 anti-shock bezel $22
Fobus Light mount $24

$80 total. You could save $20 by using a cheap 1" scope ring instead of the Fobus mount - but I like the fobus much better (especially if you plan on installing & removing the light often).
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Forest

Is the G2 a better light than the scorpion??  I can get a Fobus mount for either.  Any advantages of one over another.  The price between the scorpion and the G2 (like, actual buying prices I've found) so I'd rather just get the one more suited for my needs.  Any comment Forest, or anything else??  Thanks  

Gundraw

Edited to add:  On that fobus mount, how long is it, basically I want to know if if that will fit on bushmaster's 3-rail accessory gas block.

Edited again to add: I cannot find that anti-shock bezel either, I even searched the surefire sight.  Do you have a link?  Where is it?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Any SureFire Dealer will be able to order a Z32 Shock Isolated Bezel. If you contact them, they'll know what you want.

For a photo, see http://www.surefire.com.hk/accy/ACC.htm

If you would like a photo of the Z32 on the G2, please email me: size15s at ntlworld.com

Best regards

Al
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm also interested in a G2 setup.  Does anyone know if there is a tape switch tailcap that will fit?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is the G2 a better light than the scorpion??  
View Quote

Absolutley!

Any advantages of one over another.
View Quote

Besides the flawless spot of the Surefire?  As pointed out besides being able to get the brighter (P61) lams assembly should you want it - you can also get a pressure pad switcht (which I DON'T recommend as it add potential fail-points).

[i]Edited to add[/i]
Oh the Z32 [b]can not be found on Surefire's Website[/b]  Any of the Surefire Dealers can get it (several offer it on their websites) and if you call Surefire on their 1-800 # you can order it - just ask for the Z32 anti-shock bezel (FYI they have several products that are not on their site or catalog but you can order through their 1-800 phone #).
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone.  After listening to your advice, I think I'll go with that G2, Bezel and Fobus mount.  I appreciate the input and all the help.  Made my decision much easier.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Try this:
shooting from cover?

Thats going to make you raise your weapon and expose more of you when using the light and shooting. Take a look at my setup:
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/pb97d865b5feef4bd41c3ee080ea7afdc/fbe86669.jpg[/img]
Its on the 1:00 Shooters position and you dont need to expose more than before when the light was on the weapon.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought the exact same setup for the exact same reason.  I mounted it on my Bushy with the 3-rail Bushy gas block.  I shot it at night the other evening and WOW.  it lit that target up at 40 yards, perfectly.  I tfired it rapid fire with the light on the whole time and it worked flawlesly.  That is my experioence with it.  It you are right handed and mount it on the left rail you can just press the button on selectively while you hold the fore grip
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#13]
800MTRS.  So it DOES fit.  Great.  I appreciate the info.  That was exactly what I was looking for.  That's good to hear, I was a little worried because I had not heard of anyone doing this, I though it was a great idea.  So thanks again.  I think I'll be going that way.

Gundraw
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top