Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2004 2:18:45 PM EDT
I purchased a Streamlight M-6 laser/light  and the picatinny rail hand guards. Problem is I thought it would mount to the top of the handguards.According to the zero in directions I should look for the beam on the front site.But I cant mount it there because  of the front original site is in the way. If on the bottom(like the pic in the Bushmaster catalog) how will I zero in to hit correctly.I hope im making some kind of since and that some one will set me in the right direction on this.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I purchased a Streamlight M-6 laser/light  and the picatinny rail hand guards. Problem is I thought it would mount to the top of the handguards.According to the zero in directions I should look for the beam on the front site.But I cant mount it there because  of the front original site is in the way. If on the bottom(like the pic in the Bushmaster catalog) how will I zero in to hit correctly.I hope im making some kind of since and that some one will set me in the right direction on this.hinking.gif

No wonder noone replied!!have
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Just some thoughts on that..

You might want to mount the laser on the side of the handguard, or zero differently than the manufacturer recommended.  

The sights are an inch and a half or so above the bore, and the laser, for arguments sake, an inch and a half below.  If you zero at 25m, for example, with the dot sitting on top of the irons, if you shoot at 100m the dot would be waaaaay high, causing your bullets to impact way low.

I would either mount the laser on the bottom of the handguard and zero so the laser is about an inch and a quarter (or however far below the bore it is) below the point of impact, or mount it on the side, and zero with the dot offset to the same side the same distance it is off of the bore line.

That will keep your laser 'close' at all distances, out to about 250m.  That's how the military zeros it's IR lasers and such that are below, beside or otherwise off the bore line.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just some thoughts on that..

You might want to mount the laser on the side of the handguard, or zero differently than the manufacturer recommended.  

The sights are an inch and a half or so above the bore, and the laser, for arguments sake, an inch and a half below.  If you zero at 25m, for example, with the dot sitting on top of the irons, if you shoot at 100m the dot would be waaaaay high, causing your bullets to impact way low.

I would either mount the laser on the bottom of the handguard and zero so the laser is about an inch and a quarter (or however far below the bore it is) below the point of impact, or mount it on the side, and zero with the dot offset to the same side the same distance it is off of the bore line.

That will keep your laser 'close' at all distances, out to about 250m.  That's how the military zeros it's IR lasers and such that are below, beside or otherwise off the bore line.

Hey thnks for the insight!!I assume the 25 m o in is for use with pistols.That seemed to be the intended purpose judging from the pics in the manuel.The handguards I purchased only have the pictinny rail on top and bottom and I paid 85$ for them so Ill have to stick with the bottom mounting for now.I will take into consideration what you have mentioned about the long distance accuracy.Makes perfect sense to me.Thanks a million and happy shooting to ya!! Shane in Louisiana      
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top