Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/2/2005 6:13:10 AM EDT
I searched (including the archive server) but didn't find much in the way of specifics.

I understand that Streamlight's warranty is misleading whereas SureFire has a pretty straightforward warranty. Other than that, I know of no significant differences between the two variants.

Is it possible to purchade directlty from Insight Technologies?

So how about it guys, what say you?

Thanks.

-Justin
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:28:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:29:19 AM EDT
IIRC it was 2 decades ago I bought my first Surefire. It was a 9P and it is still carried in my briefcase setting here by my desk today.

I bought an extra bulb for it when purchased, which I still have, as it has never been installed.

It has allowed me to direct traffic during a traffic accident on a busy freeway here in Houston by "blinding" folks into slowing down to avoid the wreck once and been my "go-to" tool for light on many an occassion. It's hard not to like a product built so well.

I have since purchased many of the newer type 6Ps and G2s and given them for gifts and have never been disappointed or let down by any of their products.

I know plenty guys which have the Steamlights, but for some reason I remain loyal to the "originators" of lights that can be used as a weapon and with the impressive blinding capability that Surefire products place in your hand.

Much like my loyalty to ARMS products I will always choose Surefire over the other choices, I think their tops and fully expect to will my 9P to one of my twin boys when I'm dead and gone.

It's hard nowdays to find a product that ya can say that about.

Mike

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:17:50 AM EDT
Thanks Tex and Grant. I appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:21:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:29:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2005 7:30:03 AM EDT by HardShell]
I have several of each ( [FreePlug] many bought from Grant [FreePlug] ).

While I have had very very good service out of my various Streamlight products & believe they are a good, affordable alternative, I am convinced that my Surefire products are superior in almost every way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:53:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2005 9:54:46 AM EDT by akajimmy]
This might be slightly OT, but, If you want a good LED handheld light the Gladius is the way to go. I was so impressed with the first one, I purchased a second one for a dedicated weapons light (from grant ). THe first I bought goes with me just about everywhere. In my bag to work or with me when I carry concealed. I also like to use it around the house, if I just need a little light, or strobe my kids when they are being bad.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:53:02 PM EDT
Surefire X200 all the way.

I've mentioned the following before, but it bares repeating.

One of my guys dropped an M3 and broke one of the tabs off the switch. I call Streamlight and do the "John Hollister, Armorer for 'XYZ' Police Department. One of our guys accidently dropped an M3 and broke a tab off the switch. What do I have to do to get a replacement?"

"How long have yo had it?" he asks

"I don't know, about a year" I estimate

"Buy one"

"OK, how much?" I ask

'You can't get one from us" he says

Long story short, we were going to have to order the switch from a distributor and it was going to cost like $75 . . . . no shit

The same day I called Surefire.

"Two of my SWAT Monkeys got hold of wrenches . . . I try to keep tools locked up so they can't find them . . . and cross threaded the head on to an MP5 foreend. Complete neglagence. They completely screwed it up"

"We'll send you a new one" he says

"Maybe you didn't hear he . . . they friggin cross threaded the head on . . . . it was damn near 'Criminal Mischief'. We'll pay for it, no problem, I just need to know how much" I say

"No charge." he says. "You brake it and we'll fix or replace it, that's pretty much our warranty"

Buy right, buy only once. Screw Streamlight.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:50:43 AM EDT
Boughht a Streamlight M3 back when I couldn;t afford the Surefire gunmount (before the Nitrolon series). But, next one will be Surefire. I have owned several Surefire products, 6P, Z2, M3 Combatlight and now a G2. I have the KL3 Led conversion on my G2 and it is amazing. Just the right amount of light, still fairly blinding at close range and burns forever and a day. I have a set of batteries in it that have been in there for a month and still look as bright as new. the light quality is nice and gives great detail even up close without blooming. Nice for vehicle and building searches (evidence). It also works well with lighting up for digital photos.

My M3 combatlight is a power hungry bitch but, nothing says "fuck you blind you" like this thing.

I will never buy anything else but Surefire. They have never ever failed me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:32:25 PM EDT
I kinda hate to say it - but I use Surefires on my long guns, and Streamlight M3's on my pistol (have had it for about 4-5 years). I have abused both, and am completely happy with both. Never have had to replace the bulb on the Streamlight, but have on the Surefires. Luckily, I just go to supply and steal batteries and lamps for the Surefires when I need them. The surefire stuff is in the inventory, the streamlight lamps are not (even though many of our officers use them, they are not issued like the Surefire).
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:20:03 AM EDT
I used a M3 for a while until the rocker switch went bad. Your right about the cost I paid some 60 bucks to get it fixed. I now have 2 M6's one for my Wilson Combat and Glock 17 and one is on my M4 colt with a pressure pad to the vertical foregrip. I could not pass these up as I picked them up for 175 each. I would like a surefire 200 but their so much more I can't justify it. Plus no standard holsters are designed for them. I can find all kinds of duty rigs for the M3 and M6.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:20:55 PM EDT
i'm a surefire fan as well.

work has surefire fore ends on our 870's, vertical fore grip light on ump sub guns, and personal handhelds are 6p or 6z. on our glock 22's we have m3s or m3 leds mounted. the surefires are great, m3's on our 1st night qualification were giving a few of us (me included trouble w/ the rocker switch/battery cover). under recoil, the cover would get out of it's locked position and the light would stop working. great, now i have to fiddle w/ it.

personnal lights: 870 fore end, 9 volt w/ barrel mount on my AR, 6z off duty, 8n on duty back up for dept issue streamlight full size light.
just got a nitrolin that i'm going to mount on a 1911 here asap. i haven't shot w/ it mounted yet, but it is a seriously solid feeling light.

haven't experienced streamlight customer service.
however, surefire is phenominal.
when i first got my 8n, the two bulbs died within a month. i called them up and asked if this is what i could expect in the future. the rep said i got some bad bulbs and i had two new ones within a week. i still haven't used the second one yet. that was about 8 years ago. also, one of the rechargable batteries wouldn't hold a charge. this was after about 4 years. called again and they sent me two new batteries, again no charge. and mind you that batteries and bulbs are technically NOT warranty items.

if you haven't guessed. surefire has my business.
Top Top