Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2006 3:39:47 AM EDT
I have a 20" HBAR barrel that I bought 15 or more years ago (I thought I bought it from Bushmaster), but the barrel markings are a little strange. It is marked "E MP 5.56 NATO 1/9". I am surprised that it doesn't say "HBAR" on it and I am also confused by the "E" not "B". That front sight base is forged and the barrel has a "C" and a "9" stamped just behind the front sight base in 2 different places. It is chrome lined. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember a message about the 'E' marked barrels a while back, not sure of the manufacturer but there was a batch of them shipped to the Army that had unpolished and scratched chambers.  It was not a mandatory changeout if you had an ‘E’ marked barrel, just a recurring inspection.

If the weapon had problems with stuck/ruptured cartridges you could change the barrel even if new because of the scratched chambers.

We had one Reserve unit that was getting ready to deploy to Iraq and the Commander wanted all of his barrels changed.  We tried to tell him that the message was not a mandatory change out but he didn’t want to hear it.  He got his way, and we had to change out 135 barrels in less than a week.  Overtime paid!

I just can’t remember the manufacturer anymore, although I am sure someone here can supply the info.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:55:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember that as well, but those were 1/7 government profile barrels made for a military contract by Emco (I think). This is a 1/9 HBAR and I am sure the military never bought any of these.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:02:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Isn't that the Philipine AR licensee?  Elisco or something like that.  They seem to have done everything Colt-style, including their markings (and the testing they did before marking) on barrels.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I remember that as well, but those were 1/7 government profile barrels made for a military contract by Emco (I think). This is a 1/9 HBAR and I am sure the military never bought any of these.

My memory banks are corrupted!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:52:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Tweak,

Thanks for the info about the E marked barrels, but the ones they are talking about are 1/7 government profile M16A2 barrels. The one I have is a 1/9 HBAR. Did Emco make 1/9 HBAR also?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:25:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Isn't that the Philipine AR licensee?  Elisco or something like that.  They seem to have done everything Colt-style, including their markings (and the testing they did before marking) on barrels.

Nope. I don't think Elisco ever manufactured 1/9 twist barrels.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top