Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 7:03:32 PM EST
So I finally got out to sight in my Holosun Rest Dot. I was using the 10 / 50 yard target. Point of impact 1.9" below point of aim. After 6 5 round groups the red dot was sighted. I decided to shoot 1 more 5 round group at ten yards before moving back to 50 to verify. Only 1 round impacted the target. I hung another target above the original and fired 5 more rounds. The rounds were impacting 1' above point of aim at 10 yards.

Would you suspect something with the rifle causing the point of impact to shift or something with the red dot. I did pull the red dot and re-seat it and point of impact was still high. I don't believe the red dot has enough adjustment to lower the point of impact 1' at 10 yards.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:18:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/21/2017 7:19:29 PM EST by HighpowerRifleBrony]
Windage is still correct and the last groups are the same size as the first?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:38:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/21/2017 7:39:35 PM EST by 2chesapeakes]
Windage shifted a little. I got quite frustrated so the fundamentals went weren't what they should have been but the groups did open up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:44:37 PM EST
How is the weapon supported when sighting it in? You need a consistent and stable shooting position. Also, where is the HOLOSUN positioned on the receiver? Which AR? What ammo?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:59:56 PM EST
PWA lower with surplus ammo 1:8 upper.
Red dot located on the back 1/3 of the receiver.
62 grain 5.56 federal on stripper clips
I had a sparc on the rifle before and did not have an issue with it holding zero but that was only 400 rounds.
Rifle had a good solid rest
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:00:35 PM EST
I had a sparc on the rifle before and did not have an issue with it holding zero but that was only 400 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:15:28 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 2chesapeakes:

View Quote
I am curious about why you have the red-dot on the rear 1/3rd of the receiver and not on the front half or 1/3rd. For example.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:22:36 PM EST
Mine was just a little further towards the stock than that. Not sure I had a reason why I put it there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:24:54 PM EST
I think you have a broken red dot sight.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:05:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
I think you have a broken red dot sight.
View Quote
This. 1 MOA is 0.1047" at 10yds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:37:37 AM EST
You might double check the mount and make sure the sight is secured to the mount. I had an issue like that with a PA red dot until I realized the optic was not tightly secured to the mount.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:54:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2017 8:58:30 AM EST by familyman357]
Originally Posted By jrs93accord:

I am curious about why you have the red-dot on the rear 1/3rd of the receiver and not on the front half or 1/3rd. For example.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/001-286872.JPG
View Quote
The better question is, why would you want your red dot forward?

I've tried having the red dot forward. It does nothing for me. Head position must be more consistent to see the dot (less forgiving of a hasty mount), you see the entire sight body, and it's more susceptible to glare when the sun is behind me.

I have my red dot as far to the rear as possible. It's slightly more forgiving of an inconsistent head position (such as when assumed hastily), the sight body ghosts out, and my head blocks glare-producing sunlight if the sun is behind me.

ETA: +1 on double checking the mount's connection to the sight and to the rifle. If you haven't already, put blue Loctite on the screw threads connecting the sight to the mount. Sometimes those screws will vibrate loose and you'll go chasing the zero.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:15:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By familyman357:

I've tried having the red dot forward. It does nothing for me. Head position must be more consistent to see the dot (less forgiving of a hasty mount), you see the entire sight body, and it's more susceptible to glare when the sun is behind me.

I have my red dot as far to the rear as possible. It's slightly more forgiving of an inconsistent head position (such as when assumed hastily), the sight body ghosts out, and my head blocks glare-producing sunlight if the sun is behind me.

ETA: +1 on double checking the mount's connection to the sight and to the rifle. If you haven't already, put blue Loctite on the screw threads connecting the sight to the mount. Sometimes those screws will vibrate loose and you'll go chasing the zero.
View Quote
Yep, I run my aimpoint fully rearward.

Also check not only the mount, but the optic mounting screws that put it on the mount.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:54:02 AM EST
The mount was verified in the field when the change in point of impact occurred. The mount felt tight but I pulled it and put it back on and impact was the same. I just checked the screws that hold the sight to the mount and they are tight also.

I called and emailed Holosun yesterday afternoon explaining in detail what I had experienced and filled out the RMA form. I checked my email this morning and was surprised to see a tracking number for replacement red dot. They are including a box and return label for the one sitting on my desk.

We will see what happens with the replacement red dot. Not that is what I call great customer service.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:01:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By familyman357:

View Quote
Well two reasons that might not apply to you. Astigmatism causes the dot to be irregular-starburst like. Moving it forward cuts way down on that effect.

Running something else like a back up rear sight.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:35:52 AM EST
I'd guess a defective red dot.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:00:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2017 12:01:07 PM EST by JJREA]
Parallax? Why is everyone sighting in so close? I would just move to 50 and sight it in. But yeah, I would suspect some kind of hardware movement.

I really don't get this trend of zeroing at such close range. 25 meters would be the closest I ever sight in. If I'm starting cold and think the optic is going to be really far off, I put a few into a berm and see where the impacts are in comparison to my POA. Then you can adjust from there. But heck with an RDS you can get close by lining it up with irons, if you have them. If not, then do the berm thing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:47:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2017 12:47:35 PM EST by Lancelot]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:57:16 PM EST
Received the replacement red dot. Mounted it on the gun and was able to sight in without any issues. Fired an additional 40 rounds and it held its zero.
Top Top