Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/31/2005 8:48:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2005 9:01:56 AM EDT by Gregory_A]
Does anyone have any experience with one or both of these cases ? Unfortunately stores (around here at least) don't carry them,so I can't get a hands on comparison between the two.

My Bushy ban safe (non-collapsible stock)M4gery is just about 35" in length,so it will be a tight fit in the Storm (36 1/2" inside length) There will be planty of room inside the Pelican,but I kind of want the smallest case I can get,unless the larger Pelican case is better in some way.

Price isn't a consideration,they are just about the same (Storm iM3100 and Pelican 1720) These links are for referance,the cheapest place I have found puts the Pelican at $25.00 more than the Storm.

Any pro's and cons between the two brands would be greatly appreciated.I can't check these cases out personally,so I am relying on other peoples experience to help me make up my mind.Come to think of it,I have never even seen one at the range..lol
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:47:57 PM EDT
I prefer the Pelican, it has stronger hinges and is more robust.
Someone will probably be along to post a link to the Storm vs. Pelican test done by Storm. Watch when they hit the Storm with a bat, it gives considerably but doesn't break but wouldn't have protected the contents from damage. The Pelican cracked but didn't give thus it did what it was designed to do " Protect the contents ".
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:23:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 4:24:25 AM EDT by JimmyThompson]
I hope you appreciate MY perspective on this topic. Working in CBP (U.S. Customs and Border Protection), I see many gun cases. Pelican has by FAR fared the best, even better than most aluminum ones. The airlines unfortunately don't take special precautions when handling weapon cases thus damaging many! I would go for the pelican, not only because I own one myself #1750 but because they last.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:31:04 AM EDT
I travel every week repairing equipment. I have to check my tools every time. My Pelican cases have survived airline baggage tossers for 3 years without failure. Other techs have other (cheaper) cases, and replace theirs yearly. Pelicans get gouged and scratched, but I haven't had a broken one yet. BSW
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:34:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 12:34:38 PM EDT by easy610]

Originally Posted By Gregory_A:
Does anyone have any experience with one or both of these cases ? Unfortunately stores (around here at least) don't carry them,so I can't get a hands on comparison between the two.

My Bushy ban safe (non-collapsible stock)M4gery is just about 35" in length,so it will be a tight fit in the Storm (36 1/2" inside length) There will be planty of room inside the Pelican,but I kind of want the smallest case I can get,unless the larger Pelican case is better in some way.

Price isn't a consideration,they are just about the same (Storm iM3100 and Pelican 1720) These links are for referance,the cheapest place I have found puts the Pelican at $25.00 more than the Storm.

Any pro's and cons between the two brands would be greatly appreciated.I can't check these cases out personally,so I am relying on other peoples experience to help me make up my mind.Come to think of it,I have never even seen one at the range..lol

Pelican cases are uber tough, but what about breaking down a CAR-15/M-4gery into the upper and lower? Even smaller dimentions required.....anyone?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:17:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By easy610:

Pelican cases are uber tough, but what about breaking down a CAR-15/M-4gery into the upper and lower? Even smaller dimentions required.....anyone?

How bout this one?

www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/detail_pelican_1490.html
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:16:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Badaim:

How bout this one?

OK, I may be new around here, but with the inside dimensions on that thing, not even an upper alone would fit, unless maybe it's an SBR.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:27:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By no_knock556:

Originally Posted By Badaim:

How bout this one?

OK, I may be new around here, but with the inside dimensions on that thing, not even an upper alone would fit, unless maybe it's an SBR.

Yeah, no kidding!

I would dump the fixed stock, get a VLTOR Mod Stock from Grant at G&R Tactical, and THEN....get a Pelicn 1700 case. You should be able to get them for under $150.00.

If you keep your post ban fixed stock, you need the Pelican 1720.

Tack
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:03:29 PM EDT
Have you considered Starlight Cases? I have a really nice Starlight double rifle case that is huge. Very tough construction.

Jake
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:13:44 PM EDT
I have a pelican and its great. Pelicans also have a lifetime warranty. if it breaks, they replace it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:03:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jmacken37:
Have you considered Starlight Cases? I have a really nice Starlight double rifle case that is huge. Very tough construction.

Jake

Actually,yes I have! I am looking at the smaller 38" one,just trying to find the best price on it.The double is wayyyy to big.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:58:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 5:59:38 PM EDT by mo4040]
I cannot speak about Starlight Cases, but, I can comment on Pelican. Numerous trips w/ my AR and no problems what so ever. I work at an airport and I see first hand what happens to bags once the agent tosses it onto the conveyor and it dissapears into the bowels of the airport.

It is not just the baggage handlers tossing the bags around that poses danger, another big threat is the ride to and from the aircraft. I have witnessed bags falling off the baggage cart trains. Additionally, this happens at night and once in a while, another vehicle following closely will run over said bags.

You spend a lot of money on weapons and optics, DO NOT go cheap on a case.

CPD industries sells Pelican cases w/ pre-cut foam for many different weapon configurations. They will also custom cut foam to your specs. I have purchased from them and have zero regrets and I have zero worries about my weapon when I arrive at my destination
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:32:18 PM EDT
I had great luck posting in the want to buy section. I had my pick of great deals.

Jake
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:34:07 PM EDT
I guess I'll be the guy that says I'm happy with my Storm and will buy another. The auto purge valve and durability / materials stability does it for me. I also prefer the latches.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:46:05 PM EDT
I recently purchased some Starlight cases and really like them give them a look.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:06:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Jmacken37:

Jake

Seconded, everything else might as well be a wet paper bag in comparison. I bet you don't see many other cases that can support an entire HMVEE, or hey, a 17500 pound tank.
Top Top