Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2007 7:43:13 PM EDT
I have recently started keeping my Bushy carbon 15 inside the cab of my truck. I keep it in a soft case. Is there a chance of rust problems? Anyone keep a long gun in their truck that is not in a case, maybe just tucked under a seat? I have thought about keeping an 870 under the seat in no case but not sure if it would lead to rust problems......
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#1]
if you keep a light coating of oil on it, it should have no problems, just don't forget about it down there or you may find some rust building. I suppose it also depends on your climate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:24:25 AM EDT
[#2]
it will rust if you dont frequently keep it oiled. the light the oil, the more frequent. what would accelerate the rusting process is the constant heating up and cooling down of the cab which can lead to condensation.  oh yeah, lock your truck. vutvut
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:51:50 AM EDT
[#3]
cant do it in vermont in the winter
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:22:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried keeping a Model 94 Winchester in my truck some years ago like that, I lived in NW Colorado at the time.  Rust ate it up.
With an AR and a stainless barrel... what's to rust?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:31:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I tried keeping a Model 94 Winchester in my truck some years ago like that, I lived in NW Colorado at the time.  Rust ate it up.
With an AR and a stainless barrel... what's to rust?

All the fire control parts, bolt, carrier and all their related parts.  Most of the time these are usually coated with oil, but if you forget about them, they will lock your gun up.  

Saw the same thing happen to a friends P-89.  He left it under the seat of his car for probably a year or more.  Took it out the slide was covered in rust and slide would not open.  Dumped the mag and soaked it in a parts washer for 2 days before we could take it apart.  Everything in the weapon that was not aluminum was rusted up tight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:41:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#8]
As others have said, it really depends on the humidity and other environmental conditions that exist where you live. I moved to MA a couple of years ago and kept and remington 870 shotgun (unloaded) in the trunk of my car for a few months in a soft rifle case. When I retrieved it, the gun had a tremendous amount of rust all over it. More than I had ever seen on a weapon before.
If you are going to keep a gun in your vehicle, be sure to take it out periodically (i.e., once every 1-2 weeks) and clean it thoroughly. Don't just throw it in your car and forget about it. You will regret it later on.

Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for 'it depends on the climate'.

I kept two long guns in the truck of a Ford Tempo for about 3 months in NC one year from late Feb. through May.  I tried to get them out and oil them at least 2x/month.  I still ended up with a moisture-damaged finish on the buttstock of a shotgun and a few rust pits on the barrel of .22LR.

A well-oiled rifle in one of those 'gun sock' things would probably be OK so long as you kept it well-oiled.  You don't have to neglect it for long to get rust spots.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I understand how rust can attack the outside of long guns, usually on the barrel. How often does it actually get on the inside of the barrel and firing components?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#11]
It can get pretty bad, Just saw a supervisor of mine take his Dept issued Colt out of his trunk, (some Colt lovers on this site would start crying , get depressd and never recover) , lots of rust , Im trying to get a few pics before its sent out to try to be fixed. Everyones giving you good advise, he left the rifle in his trunk since the  last time the Dept quilified(approx 1 yr ago), his trunk leaked some water and the average temp here is +200 dergrees. If you do store it in your vehicle , please do take it out and give it a quick cleaning , and that's doesnt mean 1 time a year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It can get pretty bad, Just saw a supervisor of mine take his Dept issued Colt out of his trunk, (some Colt lovers on this site would start crying , get depressd and never recover) , lots of rust , Im trying to get a few pics before its sent out to try to be fixed. Everyones giving you good advise, he left the rifle in his trunk since the  last time the Dept quilified(approx 1 yr ago), his trunk leaked some water and the average temp here is +200 dergrees. If you do store it in your vehicle , please do take it out and give it a quick cleaning , and that's doesnt mean 1 time a year.

After riding in its factory hardcase locked in my truck box for a couple of warm months in Mobile, Al. that including my truck going to Gulf Shores and Dauphin Island (humid...humid), I found that my barrel and the screws/adjustment knobs and foward assist all had quite a coating of rust on them, I spent two hours with Blue Wonder and steel wool and still didnt quite get it all off. Make sure you pack a silica gel pack (a big one) in the case, check it often.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I never thought of putting a silica pack in the case, that's a great idea. Where can you buy them? How do you know when its time to change the silica packs?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I keep my G21 in the car inside my BHI BattleBag with a few mags; I live in FL, with plenty of trips down to Tampa and Jax; I keep her well lubed with Tetra Gun Grease and pull her out once a week for a thorough cleaning and inspection.

No sucvh thing as too much PMCS.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I have always kept an AR carbine in my vehicle here in Florida.
I pull it out and wipe it down every two months, so far I have never had any rust.
Pat
0-1-25
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I never had a problem with rifles in my trunk till I left an AK in the trunk for 5 months.  It started rusting when the CLP had worn off.  If you pull it and clean it and coat with CLP every month or two it will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
NO offense but you said Carbon 15 so it wont rust externally cause its made of carbon fiber. Just lube the inside of barrel lightly and dry up the runoff and you will be fine. The 870 would probably rust more.  Is humidity a problem up in ID? Make sure you dont have a round chambered as it sits in your truck to prevent a slam fire.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Store it in a Poly Gun Bag. They're awesome!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
cant do it in vermont in the winter

Any extremely cold area that is heated up, then cools off repeatedly, definitely will lead to condensation and rust.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Soft cases are notorious for rusting firearms. Leave a rifle in one long enough and it will rust, even inside you house.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Idaho= snow on the floor boards. It's going to rust, alot. There was a guy on here awhile back who was a mechanic. A customer had forgoten a 1911 under the seat of his car. It rusted so bad it left a 1911 shaped stain on the carpet and you couldn't even rack the slide.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#22]
height=8
NO offense but you said Carbon 15 so it wont rust externally cause its made of carbon fiber. Just lube the inside of barrel lightly and dry up the runoff and you will be fine. The 870 would probably rust more. Is humidity a problem up in ID? Make sure you dont have a round chambered as it sits in your truck to prevent a slam fire.

LOL, yes I know it is carbon. I was just worried about the outside of the barrel and muzzle brake. The area of Idaho I live in is desert, yes snow in the winter on occassion but during the summer very very dry and hot.

I figured the answer to my question is to really keep it lubed with oil which seems to be the consistent response that is being posted.....
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#23]
The vci stuff is the way to go.  You can either buy some vci bags, or you can buy some vci paper and put it in a cheap case.  If you go the latter route, it is actually an advantage to put it in something nonbreathable, like a cheap gun case.  If you just wrap a couple of sheets of paper around it they would fall off when you took it out if you needed to use it in a hurry.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top