Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/19/2011 11:50:51 PM EDT
I have 800 rounds of 308 that need to go into ammo cans. I have 10 round stripper clips and I was wondering if there are bandolier made for those?

What's better for storage of 308? 30 cal or 50 cal ammo cans.

Anyways I was wondering if someone has pictures that would help me step by step with storage.

Any help is appreciated

(Ezekiel 25:17)
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:03:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried putting my .308 on the ten round stripper clips. Quality of those (10-20 to a package, made in China) used to be good, but a couple years ago, quality started slipping. The clips would not reliably hold all ten rounds, and loose rounds would slip off.  I would take pliers and "tighten" them up.

Bandoleers for these are a problem. I wound up putting them in the four pocket, new issue bandoleers for M-16's.  There was a thread that ran through the middle of the pockets, and they come out of the factory with 30 rounds on stripper clips in a box. After loading the mags, you pulled the white thread out of place, allowing full use of  pocket, so that you could put the magazines in the pockets.

I eventually gave up on the ten round .308 clips. They can be used for 7.62x39.    I bought five round clips from Sarco in NJ, and bought 100 M-14/M-1 Garand/M-1 Carbine bandoleers.  J&G Sales sells them for 100 for $65, but you can usually find them at a gun show or surplus store.

Certain speed loaders use the 10 round clips.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I store all of my ammo in 50 Cal cans. I either keep em in the box, or in a aftermarket plastic box. I find those silicone packets that come in clothes, electronics ect and I put those in the cans to help keep moisture away. I  learned that here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#3]
The only stripper clips I could find in enough quantities were the 10 rounders, that's why I bought them. I use a string of fishing line tied around them to keep them on the clip. I was wondering how do I best pack the can. Now I do have left over AR15 bandolier pouches and I will try the string thing.

I'm curious about the plastic boxes for storage. How much are they?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#4]
You can fit exactly 400 rounds of .308 into a 30 cal ammo can.  Lighter to carry as well compared to a full 50 cal can.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#5]
So you're advocating for 30 cal ammo cans. I would agree for those reasons you stated. I'm just trying to find out how is best to pack the cans. Any pictures?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#6]
30 cal all the way.  I stack them loose laying them flat in rows along the width of the can with the bullet pointed one direction, then alternating right to left with each row.  It takes a few minutes, but they store very nicely that way.  If you have them packed on the 5 round stripper clips (like the ROR ammo is packed), it goes a lot quicker.  Shouldn't take long with only 800 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I store all of my ammo in 50 Cal cans. I either keep em in the box, or in a aftermarket plastic box. I find those silicone packets that come in clothes, electronics ect and I put those in the cans to help keep moisture away. I  learned that here.

You can also order the silica dehumidifier packets on the internet.   However, someone said that a piece of sheet rock - salvaged from any construction site - can be cut up into playing card sized pieces to accomplish the same effect in an ammo box.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have ten round stripper clips, hmmm I wonder how that would fit.

I don't want to pack mine loose, but sounds like 5 round strippers are better. Damn LOL

I only found 10 round strippers in large quantities.

I'm going to buy 30 cal boxes when I get home. Sounds better. I already got a bunch of Fifties that are full of ammo, very heavy.

I think I'm going to buy Radway Green Bandolier kits for the next 500 I got coming in 2 months from now. I'm going to have to sew and make my own bandoliers. Its going to be a pain in the ass, but I gotta do it. I want to find a bunch of 5 round stripper clips, who sells them in bunches?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can also order the silica dehumidifier packets on the internet.   However, someone said that a piece of sheet rock - salvaged from any construction site - can be cut up into playing card sized pieces to accomplish the same effect in an ammo box.

Pure silica gel kitty litter is relatively cheap and made out of pure silica gel. Use, recharge or throw away, it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have ten round stripper clips, hmmm I wonder how that would fit.

I don't want to pack mine loose, but sounds like 5 round strippers are better. Damn LOL

I only found 10 round strippers in large quantities.

I'm going to buy 30 cal boxes when I get home. Sounds better. I already got a bunch of Fifties that are full of ammo, very heavy.

I think I'm going to buy Radway Green Bandolier kits for the next 500 I got coming in 2 months from now. I'm going to have to sew and make my own bandoliers. Its going to be a pain in the ass, but I gotta do it. I want to find a bunch of 5 round stripper clips, who sells them in bunches?

I went through the same thought process you did a couple of years ago.  

If you can buy 100 bandoleers for 65 cents a piece, from J&G Sales in AZ, why make your own?  The bandoleers worked for M-1 Garand 8 round en bloc clips (1 per pocket), 5 round .30-06/.308 clips (2 per pocket), 10 round M-1 carbine clips (3 per pocket), or two 10 round 5.56mm clips in each pocket. Can you make something so versatile and useful for 65 cents? What is your time worth?  (And you don't have to buy 100, or even get them from J&G Sales....they are so ubiquitous, you can get them anywhere.)

You can spend an evening watching TV and taking a pair of pliers to tighten up your 10 round clips. Having to tie a piece of string seems too time consuming.   SARCO in NJ sells the 5 round clips. Go on line or pick up a copy of Shotgun News and use a magnafying glass to find their section on clips. You can get them for about .25-.35 a piece, depending upon quantity.  Note, Springfield clips are kinda brassy and will fit....but collectors love them and sometimes you have to pay collector prices.  However, 8mm mauser clips will also work.

.308 and .30-06 are withing a half inch in length of each other.  If you insist on your 10 round clips, you can take the lid off a .30 caliber can, stand the can on end, and just lay the rounds on their side and stack them -alternaing direction, until the can is full.   Or, if you go the OD green bandoleer round, you can fit 3 or 4 bandoleers in a .30 caliber can.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually like that idea lol. Just sit back at catch up on some csi lol
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top