Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 6:20:14 AM EST
I'm rather new to the scene and don't have any reliable local resources, so forgive my newbish questions. I'd like to keep a few magazines loaded in case TSHTF, but I've heard wildly varying stories about springs taking a set after a period of time.

It seems the most common advice I've heard is to do a 90% load (i.e. 18 rounds in a 20 round magazine) for long-term storage. Is this accurate?

Should I look at getting stronger springs for the magazines I want to keep "ready?" Should I `switch' magazines every couple of months to keep even wear? With a decent LULA, that should only take a couple of minutes.

Additionally, I'm looking at buying a sizable quantity of 30-round DPMS Teflon-coated mags with green followers, but some vendors also have an option to add a "Chrome-Silicon" coated spring replacement. This generally costs between $2.50 and $4.00 per magazine. I'm guessing this is generally a rust-resistant measure. Is that the case? If so, is ~$3.25 a decent price for the upgraded spring? Are these springs generally equivalent to USGI specifications for power?

It seems like it is a decent price for upgrading to a rust-resistant spring. I don't mind spending a few bucks extra for a better quality magazine. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:55:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2004 7:55:19 AM EST by StewartTR]
You need to read this www.ammo-oracle.com your question and many others will be answered there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:03:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:30:04 AM EST
Does everyone else agree that this is not an issue? I could save alot of shelf space if I store all my mags loaded rather than unloaded.

If you do not store your mags loaded, why not? Just wanting to hear multiple points of view.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:45:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By Amric:
Does everyone else agree that this is not an issue? I could save alot of shelf space if I store all my mags loaded rather than unloaded.

If you do not store your mags loaded, why not? Just wanting to hear multiple points of view.

I heard the same thing compression decompression is what's bad, I also read somewhere that they found a loaded mag from the nam war and took it out and fired it and it was flawless, also some 1911 mags from wwII and they fired just fine. I just hate to think of the springs being squashed like that tho, seems like it wouldn't do them any good, but that's not what they say.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:43:13 AM EST
What good are magazines if they are not loaded?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:55:58 PM EST
My range mags I store loaded. The other mags I have are unloaded. Ive never had mag problems and shoot quite a bit.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:29:33 PM EST
I would just load them and forget about it. I keep mine load always, never know when you might need them in a hurry. Just get USGI mags, not those aftermarket elcheapo crap. And you'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:54:48 PM EST
I've read many post pretty much like this one, so far I have two sets of mag, those that are used in the field and range,I've kept them loaded, so far havent had any function problems.
My stand by mags are like new and never loaded,so far I havent had to use any of them.

Had to prove it to myself,but keeping them loaded doesnt hurt them any.

TG
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:08:04 PM EST
keep em loaded
fill up a .30 or .50 ammo can and put it someplace nice and dry

ammo will last forever in those conditions
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:17:01 AM EST
I found three mags for a M1 Carbine that had been loaded since the '50s. The vet next door to us in college and his wife gave alot of his stuff to us when she was cleaning out the shed. They were the 15-rounders with rubber covers on top. The ammo was LC 53 (I think) dated ammo so his wife was probably right about it being stuff that he brought home from the Korean War.

Anyways, we took my Carbine out one day and brought the mags with us and sure enough they shot just like my other mags. No jams or malfunctions.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:26:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By Troy:
Properly designed (and this is key) springs wear out due to compression/decompression cycles, NOT from being left compressed.

Note that cheap aftermarket mags universally use poorly designed and manufactured springs, so the above will not apply to them. USGI mags have very good springs, so leaving mags fully loaded for years or decades is not a problem.

Of course, this doesn't mean the military isn't stupid sometimes. They bought a huge number of aftermarket "CheckPoint" brand Beretta mags ("Hey, we can save a bunch of money if we buy these mags, and mags are mags, right?"), and now they find that their guns are near useless, which is a bad thing to learn in a warzone. But, hey, they saved 80 cents per mag over buying the factory Mec-Gar-made mags, so WOO HOO!

-Troy

I believe you troy, BUT i have to prove a point to a buddy of mine that says storing magazines for along time will make them malfunction, do you have any military sources or any sources that shows a timeline for them?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:30:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By StewartTR:
You need to read this www.ammo-oracle.com your question and many others will be answered there.

MAN! Everytime I read thru the AMMO Oracle I am AMAZED at the volume of info! What a great read!

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:45:25 PM EST
How can I send the Ammo-Oracle cookies?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:40:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:14:05 PM EST
1) One of my Israeli friends had the job of checking the weapons, mags, ammo in "long term storage", test firing, putting all back. He said the mags were loaded, and no functioning problems.

2) When my grandfather passed away I came into possession of a Beretta pistol he had. In the box was the sales receipt for the pistol and box of ammo. The mag had exactly the number of rounds missing from the box of ammo. When I inquired I found out he never fired it.

I cleaned and lubed the pistol, went to the range, and the pistol and mag functioned perfectly. I went through the whole box of ammo. It worked perfectly. The sales slip was dated in the mid '50's. As far as I know, he loaded it, put it away, and it was never touched again.

3) A friend got an old German trunk that his father had brought back from WWII. He dumped out the contents and was going to clean it up, paint it, use it for something. He quickly determined it was shallower inside than out, and could hear something sliding around in the false bottom. He busted out the bottom and found 5 Luger pistols wrapped in that greasy waxy brown paper they used to use. Also, loaded mags, holsters, etc, all packed tightly in that false bottom. Naturally, he cleaned up one, and off to the range. All mags and ammo worked.

So, that is good enough for me.

Top Top