Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2009 11:26:30 AM EDT
I currently store most of my ammo in the garage under a workbench.  However, it's in plain sight and not locked away.  I would like to find perhaps a large steel cabinet to store it in that is lockable.  Thin construction is fine.  Just enough so that if my garage door is open, no one can see what I have.

Im thinking about 8 ft tall, 1-2 ft deep, 4ft wide.

Does anyone know of a good place to buy a cabinet like this?  Home Depot really didnt have what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#2]
How about Office Depot.  Do you have one local to you?

72" Cabinet

It says locking doors, but you may want to confirm.  Not sure if that just means it securely closes in 3 places, or if the handle itself locks.  For $279, it's not a bad cabinet...and holds 180lbs per shelf.

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont like to store GOOD AMMO in my garage

it gets very hot here in swfl

Now I would surplus range ammo
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Sears has all kinds of storage lockers!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
truck boxes and old broken chest freezers work
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#6]
my favorite.  http://www.mcmaster.com/#  they have everything you could ever want. (save for guns and ammo).

They have cheap steel ones all the way up to fire proof.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#7]
i say check office depo office max and even lowes and home depo, shop the net for more cabenets like the one linked, if you really want to be thrifty look on craigs list and around town for an office/ individual getting rid of theirs, most lock at the top and bottom of the doors and since you said you dont need a tank that should be good right?
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
my favorite.  http://www.mcmaster.com/#  they have everything you could ever want. (save for guns and ammo).
They have cheap steel ones all the way up to fire proof.

sweet sight by the way
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Oak cabinet, It will get oak doors once I finally move it into the gun room but until then, simple white MDO works. Its nice enough to store anything but built like a brick shithouse with 1.5" shelves. The shelves are 2 pices of 3/4" oak plywood glued together, with a simple solid oak strip on the front, rounded over to get rid of the corners.
Its a upgrade from my other shelf unit plus it holds posters A simple hasp will lock as good as a metal cabinet, both will take seconds to pop with a bar, but keeping it out of sight is the main thing.

old shelf

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oak cabinet, It will get oak doors once I finally move it into the gun room but until then, simple white MDO works. Its nice enough to store anything but built like a brick shithouse with 1.5" shelves. The shelves are 2 pices of 3/4" oak plywood glued together, with a simple solid oak strip on the front, rounded over to get rid of the corners.
Its a upgrade from my other shelf unit plus it holds posters A simple hasp will lock as good as a metal cabinet, both will take seconds to pop with a bar, but keeping it out of sight is the main thing.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/taylorwso/PICT2051.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/taylorwso/PICT2052.jpg

old shelf

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/taylorwso/PICT1939.jpg

Sooo... how much weight ya suppose ya got in that Oak cabinet ?

Nice set-up, I've got something like that, and am always worried its gonna be in parts some day when I walk into to shop.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sooo... how much weight ya suppose ya got in that Oak cabinet ?

Nice set-up, I've got something like that, and am always worried its gonna be in parts some day when I walk into to shop.

The cabinet itself weighs about 300 lbs empty, ammo I'm guessing weighs about 1k-1200, the original 2x10 cabinet had about 1500 lbs in it.

If built correctly it will not fall apart, ie rabbited joints and a glued back to support the weight. If you just use some screws to hold the joints it will fail.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:58:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I went to a used office supply store.Medel  locker was $25 ,keeps stuff out of site.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#13]
How about a construction Job box, You can pick them up at a big box store, they are lockable, secure and will not look out of place in your garage
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#14]
hide it in plain site i got ammo in 2  5 gal paint buckets  filled  and  near paint equipment  i got a old Vac filled with pistol ammo
what thief would look there a tidy burglar
i am also looking for a knaack  box  cheap
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Knaack box.  Come in different sizes.  Can be locked, bolted down or put wheels on it. Home Depot may have them or something along the lines.  Secure storage.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#16]

A friend of mine has several of those KNAACK boxes in his garage, and they are truly the cat's meow!  I give `em a big "Two Thumbs Up".

(and they make all sizes too)
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 2:08:14 AM EDT
[#17]
tag.....
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#18]
COSTCO and Sams club often have the metal office cabinets too.  They will need some reinforcement if your really going to load them up.  Mine has extra angle iron supports riveted in on both ends and the back of the shelves.  It's worked well for years.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:29:05 AM EDT
[#19]
My old Liberty Franklyn safe is now my ammo / mag storage. I went anf got a new (bigger) Liberty safe for the guns.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:58:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1

You are slowly destroying your ammunition.

I keep mine in the nice cool basement. All of it, even the surplus. I keep the gun safe there too.

Even during the hottest days, it is still nice and cool there......

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Does any one use silica gell in their ammo storage boxes...I can get some that changes color when it is no longer able to draw moisture from the air...is this a good idea or waste of $$$
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Hmm, thats a good point about the temperature variations, but how dangerous is it to keep tens of thousands of rounds of ammo in the house?  I don't want the house to catch on fire, and then the insurance company deny any claims because the ammo was in the house causing a fire.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Hmm, thats a good point about the temperature variations, but how dangerous is it to keep tens of thousands of rounds of ammo in the house? I don't want the house to catch on fire, and then the insurance company deny any claims because the ammo was in the house causing a fire.

If the house burns that bad, then everything above the basement will probably already be history anyway. It would make for a 4th of July type event with the firecracker type popping that will come from the hole in the ground.

As long as you store it according the the law (where applicable) then there shouldn't be any issue. Check with the insurance company if you intend to store vast amounts of loaded ammo. You may want a rider of some sort to make sure it is covered if you have that much.

I have about 10k of factory ammo in various calibers, but probably 30k worth of bullets, matching primers and cannisters of powder. My rider covers all the gun stuff for what it should be worth. I may have to up it with ammo prices being what they are right now.

I would be more worried about any black powder you may have around. Smokless powder is a propellant whereas black powder is an explosive. Stored improperly, you could have one helluva bomb on your hands.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

How so?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

How so?

Heat and moisture are never good for anything made of metal, or containing a propellant that generally has to remain dry in order to work.

I'm not saying leaving a box of ammo in the garage means it won't work, because my dad's family has done it for years and every round we've fired that was stored in the garage has gone bang, but you're taking a chance. Better to store it inside where it's 75 degrees and relatively dry.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I use these in my ammo box and gun case. It doesn't only dry your box but also has vapor rust prevention.

Zorbit plus Ci
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

How so?

Heat and moisture are never good for anything made of metal, or containing a propellant that generally has to remain dry in order to work.

I'm not saying leaving a box of ammo in the garage means it won't work, because my dad's family has done it for years and every round we've fired that was stored in the garage has gone bang, but you're taking a chance. Better to store it inside where it's 75 degrees and relatively dry.

Quick... tell me how to get my car inside my house!!!  

Ammo boxes with desicant packs... I'm not going to get too worried about it.  How hot does a garage get... 90-95 degrees?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Does any one use silica gell in their ammo storage boxes...I can get some that changes color when it is no longer able to draw moisture from the air...is this a good idea or waste of $$$

All of my ammo is in ammo cans and every one of them has color change desiccant in the can.
I dont know if its a waste of money or not, but what the heck, it won hurt the ammo.
YMMV
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm glad none of you guys worried about heat in your garage degrading your ammunition have ever seen a field ammunition supply point in the desert or even the very humid, and not climate controlled ammunition supply points at places like Fort Bragg.

I 've shot .45 ACP and .50 BMG caliber that was stored for 30+ years in alternating freezing below-zero cold and humid / hot conditions at Fort Riley,KS.  I've hung WWII era 81mm mortar rounds that had been stored in a hot and humid bunker in NC for 30+ years (and the"cheese charges" were seriously warped by the heat).    Not to mention ammunition that came out of a flooded desert ASP during OPERATION DESERT SHIELD (for example, smoke grenades that had water inside the fiber board tubes because they had already been opened - they worked).

Its not Coors beer (shipped cold from the brewery to the store).and its not Civil War-era paper cartridges..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How about Office Depot.  Do you have one local to you?

72" Cabinet

It says locking doors, but you may want to confirm.  Not sure if that just means it securely closes in 3 places, or if the handle itself locks.  For $279, it's not a bad cabinet...and holds 180lbs per shelf.

This is the type of cabinet that I used.  The shelves it came with can't take being fully loaded with ammo, they started to bend.  

So I took out the built in shelves and got one of those wire Metro rack clones from Home Depot and it just fits inside (my cabinet is 18" deep, the standard 6ft tall metro/clone rack that most people sell is 18" deep, it wouldn't fit and still allow you to close the doors, but Home Depot sells a 6ft tall Metro rack clone that is 16" deep, and that fit perfectly.).  

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top