Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2012 2:23:26 PM EDT
I shot about 140 rounds this weekend, something came up i had to immediatly tend too, i pulled out the BCG and drenched it with CLP, thats it. I wont be able to tend to it until friday, big deal or not?
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 2:27:56 PM EDT
No big deal, unless you shot corrosive ammo.
Originally Posted By DevilPup89:
I shot about 140 rounds this weekend, something came up i had to immediatly tend too, i pulled out the BCG and drenched it with CLP, thats it. I wont be able to tend to it until friday, big deal or not?

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 2:32:11 PM EDT
...i was shooting tula is that bad for this sisuation? They say its not corrosive but i dont know if thats valid
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 2:37:59 PM EDT
Relax you're rifle will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 3:32:26 PM EDT
Devil,

Not a problem. Just clean it when you have time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 3:37:50 PM EDT
Even if you don't touch it for a few months, it's going to be just fine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 4:04:38 PM EDT
All my guns are dirty
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 4:13:13 PM EDT
Your ok if its a week or two, Tula isn't as bad as others.

Originally Posted By DevilPup89:
...i was shooting tula is that bad for this sisuation? They say its not corrosive but i dont know if thats valid

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 2:42:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ToeTag:
All my guns are dirty

This. I didn't clean mine the entire 3gun season last year.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 3:06:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2012 3:07:37 PM EDT by wildearp]

Originally Posted By SeanR:
Even if you don't touch it for a few months, it's going to be just fine.

I fired my AR and stored it in AZ after CA had a couple ban changes. I asked my brother to just punch the bore and keep it in his safe. This is exactly what you should be worried about, he failed to run a couple patches through it. Many months later, maybe almost a year, the copper fouling turned green (verdigris). It was so bad that a bore rod with a patch would not fit in the bore. I expect that firing a round would have made a blowout, or at least bulged the barrel.

Kroil, CLP, brake cleaner, etc, would not touch this stuff. I priced a new barrel and then put a liberal supply of Liquid Wrench in the bore and bagged the barrel for a couple days. I was able to force a worn bore brush through it, and eventually a decent brush through it, resulting in a pile of crap coming out of my barrel. The chrome lined Armalite barrel continues to live today, and is just as accurate as the day it was born.

From this, I would say that you should at least insure the bore is cleaned if you are gonna do some long term storage, say 6 months or longer. I always try to punch the bore, as a bare minimum, before throwing a dirty gun in the safe.

eta: This was PMC ammo, circa late 80s, early 90s.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:34:59 AM EDT
Mine generally gets a re-lube then stuck back in the gun cabinet till I go shooting again. It's lucky to get cleaned every 1000 rounds or so. Runs just fine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:40:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2012 11:50:09 PM EDT by Andrewphillipf]
This is a technical forum. People come here for help. - Andrewphillipf
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:57:25 AM EDT
Most of mine are stored dirty. The pistols I clean every time, but the AR's just get put back dirty.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:01:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LastDefender:
Devil,

Why? I shoot around 180rds per outing 3-4 outings before cleaning my AR, no issues. Most folks overclean their guns.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:12:20 PM EDT
I used to be more "conscientious" about cleaning my ARs. I shoot Silver Bear all the time and frankly, if ammo is really non-corrosive like SB is, my cleaning is mostly wipe the BCG, oil generously, and put it in the safe. I am in Colorado where rust is not common because it's not damp. Corrosive ammo is a whole 'nother story, but little new factory ammo is corrosive. If I am not going to use a gun for many months, I put a patch or two down the barrel (chrome lined), lube BCG, and call it good.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:22:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2012 11:50:20 PM EDT by Andrewphillipf]
This is a technical forum. People come here for help. - Andrewphillipf
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:36:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bigkracka:
Originally Posted By LastDefender:
Devil,

Why? I shoot around 180rds per outing 3-4 outings before cleaning my AR, no issues. Most folks overclean their guns.

Why? Because proper maintenance is important. Dirt debris and carbon can and will cause stoppages over time.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:55:21 AM EDT
If your 140 rounds were fired in a sandy mountain valley deep in the heart of Afghanistan, I'd say you'd best clean it before you go back out on patrol. At least lube the bolt carrier group with CLP and get it good and wet.

But, since you are shooting in a clean environment and the only "dirty" thing about your rifle is the powder fouling then I say not to worry. You can fire quadruple the ammo that you've fired through it before you really need to worry about the fouling getting *that* bad.

If it makes you feel better, jsut put a few drops of CLP in there and go shoot some more.
Top Top