Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2012 4:27:17 PM EDT
After seeing the post and pics of loaded magazines,  Do you load all of your mags?   Do you rotate your loaded and unloaded to give the springs a rest?  On a 30 rd mag, how many rounds are you loading?  and lastly, is there any lube in the magazine or rounds?
Mag up !
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't load all of my magazines, some of them are for long term storage, just in case... but then I have about 150 or so AR magazines. I load PMags and Lancers with 30 rounds, USGI style with 28, and leave them loaded until I shoot them. There is no need to rotate them out to give the springs a rest, this actually does more harm than good. There is also no need for any kind of lube in the magazines, this too would do more harm than good.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Springs wear due to cycling, not compression. Storing loaded is fine.

PMAGs have 30 rds, USGI mags have 28.

I don't lube the rounds or mags, but I keep my guns lightly oiled.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]

I keep some loaded but here in Ohio we can't have loaded rifle mags in our cars so they have to be unloaded to get to the range.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I keep some loaded but here in Ohio we can't have loaded rifle mags in our cars so they have to be unloaded to get to the range.

Not true. You can't carry a loaded firearm(unless you have a (CCW) in your car.  You can carry unloaded in several ways.  Magazines do not need to be empty, but can't be inserted into the firearm.

ORC 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

Link Posted: 5/2/2012 5:45:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true. You can't carry a loaded firearm(unless you have a (CCW) in your car.  You can carry unloaded in several ways.  Magazines do not need to be empty, but can't be inserted into the firearm.

ORC 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

You better dig around some more because they passed a law that makes it an felony to carry loaded mags in your vehicle. You can have your ccw loaded and extra mags but that's it. Below is just one part. There's another part i can't find at this time which states it's a felony.

Under ;  2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

(b) With respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.

Link Posted: 5/2/2012 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#6]
You're right.  I didn't catch the definition of "unloaded" way down at the bottom.  My bad.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top