Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 7:33:39 PM EDT
I feel like a n00b asking this, but can anyone give me advice/instructions on how to remove my collapsible stock and install an A2 butt stock? Are there any special tools required? I'm assuming that the buffer tube/spring I currently have with my collapsible stock are incompatible with the fixed A2 stock I want to install. Can I use the same buffer?

Thanks, and apologies for the ignorance.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually good question. I need to know the same thing, but I want to install a collapsable stock on my M4.  What about the DPMS AR-15 multitool? Is that worth getting?

Thanks,

bd
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#2]
All the parts are different. There is a special wrench made for loosening the locking nut on the collapsable stock. It can be done without it but could damage the nut and be a pain. I have a AR15 multitool that has the wrench on the end but I am sure someone will chime in with a way to do it without the wrench. I recommend getting the multitool if you plan to do much work on ARs.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Try here: www.rbprecision.com/rb_precision_ar15_performance_tips_.htm

toward the bottom...
They are doing the opposite of you, but it looks like it's all there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
All the parts are different. There is a special wrench made for loosening the locking nut on the collapsable stock. It can be done without it but could damage the nut and be a pain. I have a AR15 multitool that has the wrench on the end but I am sure someone will chime in with a way to do it without the wrench. I recommend getting the multitool if you plan to do much work on ARs.

Thanks, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but Obird's question got answered as well.

bd
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
can anyone give me advice/instructions on how to remove my collapsible stock and install an A2 butt stock?

Yes

Are there any special tools required?
 You should use the correct wrench to remove the castle nut on the collapsible stock.  The wrench is pretty cheap from most places but you can get by without it if you don't care about scratching up the nut.  Other than that you'll only need an open end wrench (5/8" I think) and a flat-head screwdriver.

I'm assuming that the buffer tube/spring I currently have with my collapsible stock are incompatible with the fixed A2 stock I want to install. Can I use the same buffer?
The full length tube requires the 'rifle' buffer and spring while the collapsible tube requires the 'carbine' buffer and spring.  Using the shorter carbine buffer in a rilfe tube will allow the gas key on top of the bolt carrier to slam into the rear of the receiver and you'll tear shit up inside until the screws on the carrier key shear off and the whole thing locks up tight.  The carbine spring in a rifle tube won't damage anything but the recoil will be stout as the buffer bottoms out harder than it is supposed to and the weapon will be unreliable.

Thanks, and apologies for the ignorance.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
As mentioned above. You will need a wrench to loosen the ring on your buffer tube. As for a step by step, here goes:

1) make sure the magazine is out and the rifle is empty (sorry, this is a mandatory line around here).
2) remove the upper from the lower. Set aside.
3) remove the buffer and spring by pushing the retaining pin down and thus releasing the buffer and spring. Set aside.
4) remove the collapsible stock from the tube by pulling the adjustment lever - straight downward - and sliding the stock off. Set aside.
5) with your wrench, loosen the buffer tube ring and twist it out as far as it will go.

IMPORTANT: Hold on to the plate and slowly move it back as you loosen the ring. THERE IS A SPRING THERE THAT MAY POP OUT if you are not careful. Remove the spring if you are able to already. If not, wait until you have taken the tube out.

4) remove the buffer tube by twisting it off the lower.

IMPORTANT: HOLD ON TO THE BUFFER RETAINING PIN WHILE REMOVING THE BUFFER TUBE! IT MAY FLY OUT! When you are removing the tube from the lower, the plate will rotate with the buffer tube. So if your spring is still inside the lower, be sure it does not get snagged on the plate and get damaged in the process.

5) Set the retaining pin and spring aside. Set the tube aside. Set the buffer plate aside.
6) Take out the spring from the lower. THERE IS A SMALL PIN INSIDE THERE! Gently tap the lower until the pin falls out. Keep it and set aside.

I think that covers everything. I will try to recall how to put in an A2 stock. It's been a while since i did that.

Good luck!   Remember, BE PATIENT! If you do things in a hurry, you may scratch or lose your parts!

[ETA: Check out FALARAKs tacked thread in the Build it Yourself section. It has some great instructions and pics for an easier reference of what I am talking about.
Linky: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782 ]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top