Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/25/2009 2:30:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2009 2:33:02 PM EDT by ali059]
So since I am so new here I have to get some more things clear.

I know some of the stocks now thanks to you guys IE 601-602 and the matte finish 603/604 stocks! But, I have found some stocks as I have been going through them that are quite different. then the rest. They are like the 602 stock with the molloted look and the same feel but are thicker than then the 602 stock where the buffer tube goes in. These are the same as a matte finish 603 604 stock but made of a different material. These stocks are much harder and seem to a lot more shiny then the rest. The have the so called drain hole with the straw. You definitely can tell the difference between one of these shiny molloted 603/604 stock and a 602/601 stock due to the swivel and the thickness near the buffer tube. So I wonder if there is another stock that falls between the 602 and 603/604 matte finish stock. Which of course is still a 603/604 stock variation.

Why is the straw looking thing in front of a 603/604 stock called a drain hole? Seems to me that no water could escape thorough that hole! ITS TO TIGHT!

If I figure out the posting thing tonight I will post some pictures.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:59:07 PM EDT
Type D stocks came mottled too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:09:26 PM EDT
I never understood why that was called a drain hole either. I beleive they put the stock shells on a buffer tube shaped mandrel and injected the foam filler through that hole once the buttpads were glued on. I've pulled plastic tubes or straws out of those holes while drilling them out for 607 conversions.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 5:12:57 PM EDT
Well do you think the the type D should be the molloted stock then type E as the matte finish etc etc or did they come out at the same time and does not matter?


I BET your right on the straw thing! I was thinking that was what held it in pace when it was made. Your idea makes sense
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:42:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ali059:
Well do you think the the type D should be the molloted stock then type E as the matte finish etc etc or did they come out at the same time and does not matter?

The type E stock is the trapdoor A1 stock
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:25:58 AM EDT
As Mark said, Type E is the trapdoor stock and would only be matte. Type D stocks were mottled or just black. I would assume that, as with the grips, mottled stocks were early.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:22:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:45:42 PM EDT
I know pictures would help!!!

I know what each type is and according to the guide a Type E stock has the trap door on the back.

My point here is this......................... (Now this is from my limited knowledge)

601 stocks have two types... (IE A then B) a is diff because of the shape of the front near the buffer tube

602 stocks all have the molloted look ot them. (C and look like a type B 601 stock but black!)

603/604 stocks have to colors to them, Molloted and matte finishes (Type D, is my question, there are two distinct stocks here it seems)

If there are two types of stocks here based on the finish, shine, color......should there be another letter added to accomidate this?

Just curious as I have both types and had no idea what they were until i asked a bunch of people and seems that they should be included in the pictures.....

Just my humble 2cents, not that it matter much

I am bet I am clear as mud here!!
Top Top