Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/12/2006 5:37:04 AM EDT
This is my first AR-15 stock build but I'm still embarrassed to ask this question. I have a Stag collapsible stock to install so I bought the newer type wrench with the three "points" because everyone says it works better than the old CAR stock wrench. My problem is that the wrench doesn't seem to fit the large notches on the castle nut. When I engage a notch in the nut with the top point, the others don't reach any other notches, they just lay along the side of the nut. So, in effect, this wrench is working just like the old CAR wrench and only engaging one notch. It's as if the diameter of the nut is too large for this wrench. Is that possible and I got the wrong tool for this stock tube? Any help would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:12:00 AM EDT
There are two types on stock nuts out there that I know of. First is the older type with the round holes placed in the center of the ring. Second is newer type with the square holes placed on the outer edge of the ring. If your trying to tighten the older style of ring with the wrench made for the newer style nut I can see where you’d have problems.

Quib
“Scouts-Out!”
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:50:19 AM EDT
My castle nut has the rectangular notches on the outer edge of the nut. There are large notches on one side and small notches on the other side. I'm assumung that I should be trying to fit the wrench to the larger notches?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:53:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sundown:
I'm assumung that I should be trying to fit the wrench to the larger notches?

Your assumptions are correct young Jedi!

Quib
“Scouts-Out!”
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:21:21 AM EDT
Then, why doesn't it fit, oh, Master?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:52:52 AM EDT

Quib
“Scouts-Out!”
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:38:49 PM EDT
BTT.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:15:40 PM EDT
Thanks for the bump, 556Cliff! I figure somebody must know the answer to this question! hinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:24:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 6:25:37 PM EDT by protozo1]
I had the same problem, I could get one notch on the wrench in but the others wouldn't engage the other 2 notches so the dremel came out with a file and I modifyed the wrench so it would fit properly and engage all tree notches. I modifyed the tabs on the "outside" of the wrench, I left the one in the center of the curve alone. Hopefully this will help, I WOULD NOT try to modify the lock nut or any of your stocks parts, just the wrench.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:26:59 PM EDT
Thanks for the advice, protozo1! If it comes to it, I may try that. It just seems odd to me that a wrench that so many rave about doesn't fit some castle nuts!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:26:15 AM EDT
BUSHMASTER

This economical tool will keep the locking nuts tight on our newer type telestocks - both fixed and collapsible. Three lugs accurately engage the indents on the lock nut, and an additional hole fits the end of the receiver extension tube for assembly or disassembly. Stamped steel construction with vinyl coated handle for comfortable use. Will not work on old style locking rings that have holes for spanner wrench.

If you bought a complete Stag but stock kit the locking nut is "mil spec" along the lines of Clot.
This might be your problem.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:15:20 AM EDT
Thanks, KA3B! That's what I was wondering. Yes, it is a stock Stag buttstock and the buffer tube/castle nut are just too large in circumference for that wrench to work. Funny the place that sold it to me didn't point that out at the time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:08:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2006 2:11:32 PM EDT by 556Cliff]
Huh.... I didn't know that there was a difference between Mil-Spec collapsible stock castle nuts and commercial collapsible stock castle nuts.

So what tool does Colt and the Military use to install their collapsible stocks?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:29:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 556Cliff:
Huh.... I didn't know that there was a difference between Mil-Spec collapsible stock castle nuts and commercial collapsible stock castle nuts.

So what tool does Colt and the Military use to install their collapsible stocks?

Sounded good.

I know that the buffer tube for Clot and MilSpec collapsible stocks are different from ones made by Bushmaster et al.
I figured that the size of the nut would be different too.

Perhaps he has some sort of a bastard for a nut then.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:49:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KA3B:

Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

Sounded good.

I know that the buffer tube for Clot and MilSpec collapsible stocks are different from ones made by Bushmaster et al.
I figured that the size of the nut would be different too.

Perhaps he has some sort of a bastard for a nut then.

Or there is a difference between Mil-Spec and commercial castle nuts. Or maybe his wrench is out of spec. Ya know, I don't know, I've never hand a collapsible stock.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:22:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2006 5:23:34 PM EDT by demusn1979]
My no name wrench looks just like the wrench shown and fits both Colt and RRA
castle nuts perfectly!

Without the extention cutout.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:41:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2006 5:45:23 PM EDT by Triple_D]

Originally Posted By Sundown:
My castle nut has the rectangular notches on the outer edge of the nut. There are large notches on one side and small notches on the other side. I'm assumung that I should be trying to fit the wrench to the larger notches?

Uh....you do have the large notches facing the stock, and the small notches against the receiver don't you? You have to slide the wrench in from the rear, engaging all three notches with the wrench at the same time.

Edit: Instructions here
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:55:20 PM EDT
Bingo, Triple_D!!! Yes, I had the nut positioned correctly but was trying to fit the wrench over the nut and onto the notches. I tried sliding it in from behind as they show in those excellent instructions and it worked!! Thanks very much for your help!! (Man, I'll be glad when I've completed this build and I'm not such a newbie anymore! ).
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:21:52 PM EDT
Glad to help.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:30:07 AM EDT
It all makes sense now. Thanks for the link Triple_D!
Top Top