Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/28/2007 3:37:37 PM EST
I have been wanting an 18" barrelled upper for about fifteen years now.
My reasoning is its a split between the 16 and the 20.
Better accuracy and less velocity loss than a 16, and less weight and more agility than the 20.
When I first started kicking the idea around, it just wasn't available.
I'm curious as what your take on the 18" barrelled upper is: pros and cons.
Any good manufacturers out their producing 18" barrelled uppers.
Would love to hear feedback from people that have one and really have put some lead down the tube of one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 4:44:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2007 4:45:21 PM EST by bigbore]
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 5:13:17 PM EST
I have a couple of 18" uppers and they are plenty accurate, they both have rifle gas systems but I am in the process of builing a 18" midlenght because the barrel was aquired at a great price(White Oak SS mid for $240) I still preffer to shoot my 16" middy because it does everthing right, It is lighter, has good accuracy(under 1"), and with the brake I use it is quick on targets in 3-gun. I agree with Bigbore that if you build a 16 in middy you will not be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 5:33:29 PM EST
I have a Sabre 18" 1x7 midlength chrome lined SPR barrel. I am very happy with it and it shoots a little better than 1 MOA.

I know a lot of guys who really like the stainless 18" Sabre midlength barrels. They all report excellent accuracy.

www.tacticsllc.com/accessories/18-fluted-mid-length-barrel
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:10:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2007 8:13:46 PM EST by Face_N_The_Crowd]
16 middys - there is a fair amount of data out there to suggest that this is the best all around platform and I tend to believe it. I don't have one (mine are all carbine gas systems as they are stock uppers) but I will get one at some point.

18's - I think you need a reason. The only justifiable reason I can think of is squeezing out a few more meters of effective range. By effective I do not mean puching paper. And to be clear - we are talking about a very few. I base this largely on the MV rates between 20 /18 / 16 / less than 16. In comparing these there is little loss of MV from 20 to 18, a bit with a 16 and less than 16 things begin to drop off pretty quick.

A good 16 and a couple of different optics makes for a do everything pretty well weapon. Any more or any less length you start to define a weapon better suited to one specific thing.

Last thoughts: barrel length relates to MV not accuracy and if your not shooting match ammo why have match barrel? Spend that difference on ammo and training.

Just me

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:25:48 PM EST
I have a 16" middy, Saber defense barrel. Great for what I do (hunt varmints, and paper). Point of aim is point of impact out to 200 meters (gun range limits). It's great, and its not even a match barrel.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:43:20 PM EST
I have both the Sabre 16in mid length and the 18 in mid length. What one will do so will the other. Now haveing said that I really like the 18 in. better, just because of the looks and a few extra fps. It balances well. Although the length has nothing to do with the accuracy, it is highly accurate. Averageing 10 rounds under 3/4 inch @ 100 yds since I put it together.
Top Top