Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 3:46:49 AM EDT
In one of my lowers the safety detent sticks so the safety can freely rotate back & forth.

Is the hole for the detent supposed to be completely open (same diameter all the way thru) and if so I think there may be some restriction inside that hole.

What size bit should I use to clean out that hole so the detent can engage the safety cleanly?

Any other ideas?

Thanks, FH
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
get a drill bit the size of or a hair bigger than the detent and by hand run it through to make sure there isnt any burs
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:23:58 AM EDT
[#2]
That hole is not the same diameter the whole way through.  I initially installed the wrong spring in my safety detent, and it was impossible to move between safe and fire.  Double check that you haven't doen this.  Also, you may try trimming the spring if the selector is too hard to move.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:29:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you using and aftermarket grip?  The hole for the detent spring may not be drilled properly in it.  
My Ergo grip came that way and I used the drill bit method to ream it out.  Do not over tighten the
grip screw.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Right!  The hole is smaller further up. This keeps the detent in place when the safety selector is removed.

Check that you have not crimped the spring between the grip and the lower receiver when the grip was installed.  This is very common.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#5]
OK, lets say in a moment of brain-fartedness, that I reamed out the hole to the same diameter all the way thru....not saying I did, mind you, but IF I did (wink, wink) would that cause the detent to hang up and not engage the safety???

Thanks, FH
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top