Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/12/2003 11:03:06 PM EDT
Has anyone noted any problems w/ using steel magazines in alloy lower receivers (specifically using the Royal Ordnance mags)?  Increased wear to magwell, etc...?

Thanks,

Sam
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You should be fine.  The anodized aluminum surface is harder than steel.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't noticed any problems yet.
I teflon moly coated some royal ordnance mags. Only wear on them was from the mag catch since I refinished them. (Don't think I cured the finish properly though. Direct hard abrasion from sharp objects will flake it off.) But the rest of the mags finish has little or any wear from insertion/ejection.

I suppose if you were really anal you could teflon coat the lower as well, or get a polymer lower.

Since the mag catch appears to be steel and have sharp edges (under tension when inserting/removing), I suppose the wear on the finish of the mags is normal.
According to the directions i can reapply and rebake to touch up spots after sanding them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember the AR10 uses M14 mags that are steel,Sig Sauer pistols steel mags in aluminum lower and dont forget your AR receiver usses steel pins and fire control parts as well as a steel bolt carrier riding in the aluminum upper.Dont worry about it.And dont forget the DSA FAL has an alloy lower that also uses steel mags.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Normal use will not harm the receiver.  I did figure out an upside to USGI's being Aluminum, however.

I fell hiking over river rocks and dropped my rifle (with chamber empty) with a 30 rnd USGI inserted.  It happened to land on the mag base, and the mag absorbed all of the damage/none to the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Increased wear to magwell, etc...?

View Quote

There is no damn way you would ever wear out your mag well from using steel mags.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I heard once that some Mall Ninja split his Cast OLY receiver in two when he did a lightening fast mag change with a steel body mag!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies.  Appreciate the help.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top