Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2010 11:53:57 AM EDT
Would/Will it hurt to shoot steel cased ammo out of a gas operated AR?

Why or why not?
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#1]
It will destroy your gun, and any guns nearby.

Seriously, take 5 minutes to look around and you'll find that this topic is covered just about every other day.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Will NOT hurt.  The biggest problem you could encounter would be excessive carbon build up on the chamber walls, causing stuck cases.

Aside from that, a good bit of it is underpowered and may not cycle in some weapons.  So while there can be reliability issues with this ammo, you won't harm your weapon by using it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I plan on raping my spikes middy with a bunch of Brown Bear.

Once complete I'll let the hive know how it went.

I've shot a few mags and zero issues so far.  I've also seen other rifles choke on it, I'd try a little out to see how it runs. If it gobbles it up, buy some more.

my .02
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been shooting Monarch and Brown Bear for years and I've never had an issue. It's dirty and underpowered but steel cased ammo gives me trigger time I wouldn't otherwise get. It would be great if I could plink with Hornady TAP like some here do but I have to make do with what I can afford.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]
just clean ad lube you're rifle properly and it should be fine.  I've run Wolf, brown bear, silver bear, tula, and hornady steel out of my Colt6920 without a single issue.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#6]
FAQ
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I feed my Rock River steel cased ammo from time to time and it has never had any issues with it.  It just smells different and some say it is a bit on the weak side, but the price is right.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
please read faq
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top