Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/28/2002 3:47:39 PM EST
Did Armalite make and sell steel 20 round Mags?
Are they Pre or Post? How can I tell?

A shop here is sellin' I want to know if I buy.

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 5:52:37 PM EST
I'm instant messanging you now...
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:19:11 PM EST
I'd like to know the answer to this one, too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:28:06 PM EST
If they are waffle bodied, (waffle patten on the magazine body, which you will undoubtibly notice) they are original Armalites. Made in the 60's. They are not realiable, and most were crushed by the military.

Definately preban.

If they do not have a waffle patterned body, and you are sure they are steel, I do not believe them to be Armalites, unless they are identical to USGI mag bodies.

Any magazine is considered preban and legal if they do not have any markings on them, and a or a date code prior to the ban.

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 9:39:22 PM EST
Stevan re ArmaLite mfg and selling 20rd "steel" magazines I am aware that ArmaLite of Costa Mesa, CA offered 20rd parkerized steel mags for the Sterling AR180 back in the late 1970s which would make them preban. The Sterling mags were mfg by Sterling in England. The floorplate of the Sterling 20rd parkerized steel mag is marked "BY STERLING-ENGLAND". The mags have mag catches for the AR18/AR180 and the M16/AR15. Could you tell me exactly what the markings are on the floorplate, the type of finish (blued or parkerized) and the type of mag catches?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:27:04 AM EST
These look like plain vanilla USGI 20 rounders, but steel. Plain bottoms, no markings at all anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 5:50:28 AM EST
Stevan from your description of the 20rd steel mag as being plain with no markings anywhere I would have to say the mag is aftermarket(? USA brand) and is not ArmaLite (Costa Mesa,CA) mfg. Best advice is to forget it and purchase USGI AR15 20rd mags from the equipment exchange on this board. ** If any members of this board should run into any ArmaLite mags, parts, accessories or printed material for the AR18/180 (Costa Mesa, Howa, Sterling) please contact. Thanks, Kobren.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 6:29:35 AM EST

Originally Posted By Stevan:
These look like plain vanilla USGI 20 rounders, but steel. Plain bottoms, no markings at all anywhere.

Then how do you know their armalites?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 7:00:21 AM EST
Good question.

The bags they are in are unquestionably ArmaLite. Big However, they are ziploc style. No way to know if the mags are orig or not.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 8:02:06 AM EST
Got a pic of the bag??

My guess is if they look exactly like USGI 20s, they might be Sterlings with a blank floor plate, or maybe promags?

Or, they could just have a replacement floor plate on them. Check it.. is it a 20 round floor plate, or a 30?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 8:34:00 AM EST
No Pix yet. I'll try over the weekend if there are any left. The bags have labels on them not print on the actual bags themselves. The labels have the light grey ArmaLite logo w/darker UPC and other info. Strange thing, they were dated last month or so.

I'm not sure what the diff is between a 20 vs 30 round floorplate is so all I recall is that they were plain black as were the followers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 9:29:09 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 11:28:46 AM EST

Thanks for the info. I'm certain there is both a book and an artform to buying mags(of all things!). Every newbie must read this stuff. Not only will they save money but actually may have a real weapon if they need it.

It seems that w/ the wrong mags all an AR is is a VERY EXPENSIVE baseball bat for defense.
I'm going to buy one of these pseudo-ArmaLite mags to show you (if they are pro-Mags are they ok for the range?) and to get the parts#'s to ask ArmaLite directly.

Link Posted: 8/29/2002 1:10:30 PM EST
ArmaLite's response...

"ArmaLite sells pre-ban 20 rd pro-mags that are made of steel.

Some early AR-15 magazines were made of steel and have both horizontal and vertical ribs pressed into the sides. Those are called Waffle Mags and are quite a collector's item these days."

So the Steel Pro-Mags seem, but inference, OK.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:10:20 PM EST
Top Top