Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2016 12:25:04 PM EDT
So my wife was gracious enough the other night to purchase me a Noveske chainsaw marked lower (gen 1 forged) from Rainier Arms. I have some parts laying around that I want to use but here is what I am thinking at the moment.

I am going to build out the lower with a Magpul MOE SL stock, Ruger 2 stage trigger assembly, and Strike Industries enhanced small parts with an odin works extended mag release.

I don't have an upper receiver at the moment but am going to try and find a Noveske upper. Should I just get a matching Noveske forged upper? Or should I spring for a Noveske marked MUR1A upper? I would do a chainsaw of either if I can find one since my lower is already a chainsaw.

I already have a Voodoo 14.5" barrel with a pinned manimal flash hider ready to do so I am definitely using this as I have built out 2 rifles with these and have been more than pleased with the results. The final part that I need a suggestion for is the handguard. I really like both the BCM KMR alpha handguards as well as the new seekins slim keymods as I have used both. I was thinking of continuing with the Noveske theme and getting a 13.5" NSR for it, but the cost of these is so much more than my other viable options. Can anybody chime in about the NSR rails and let me know about their opinion on them? I would love to build as much Noveske as possible on this one, but Noveske parts come at a premium price which does not necessary equate to increased performance IMO. For me at this point, the Noveske logo is more of a novelty for me (as I have wanted to build a "noveske" rifle for a while) but don't want to overspend on certain parts that may or may not perform better.

Thanks for the advice. You can also help me fund my new build by buying my parts in the classifieds
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any experience with Noveske but to me it sounds like you should spend the money and get the forend you want.  You have the chance to build your Noveske rifle right now so why wait.  Just build it with the Voodo barrel you have.

When I was building my current AR I bought some parts to cut corners.  I ended up swapping them out for the parts I really wanted so technically the build cost me more in the long run.  One advantage is I have some extra parts laying around for my next build so no big deal.

BTY, Noveske has a Chainsaw Gen 3 stripped Upper on sale for $285 right now ..... Chainsaw Gen 3 Upper .....  I bet if you shop around you could find a chainsaw NSR on sale somewhere else (I'm preferable to M-LOCK over key-mod for the cleaner look), Noveske has them priced at $246 right now.

The nice thing about build your own is you can wait and save.

Stay Cool
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up on the upper but I am going to stick with forged since that is the lower I have.  I think I will just get the nsr.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
You know, I just noticed those are Blem also (they are calling them factory seconds).  I am not a big fan of Blem items since the price difference is not usually significant to the price off the finished rifle. You spends $600-$1000 on parts but you save $15 on the upper and have some defects on the finish or something.  Not worth it.

And I am sure you will not regret getting the NSR.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes the "chainsaws" are all you can find.  In my experience, however, I have bought blem receivers that have looked flawless and have also ended up with non blems that have noticeable imperfections in the finish.  So I really don't mind blems as long as they are in spec and function right.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top