Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2014 6:44:14 PM EDT
Do you stake the castle nut and  if so which punch do you prefer?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:12:27 PM EDT
No. No point in staking that particular part.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:28:52 PM EDT
Never felt the need to.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:29:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mook47:
Do you stake the castle nut and  if so which punch do you prefer?
View Quote

Yes, you absolutely stake the castle nut. If you USE your gun they can and will come loose. A center punch works best. There is no need to go all hand of God on it, you just want to displace a little metal. Also, it is no big deal to take the castle nut back off should you need to like it is if you use Loctite instead of staking.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:58:48 PM EDT
Eight ARs in inventory with a carbine tube and not one has the castle nut staked.  Three of them are even commercial tubes .
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:34:35 PM EDT
I sold a rifle to my friend. I had built it. Castle nut came loose. I had tightened pretty good. It was cheap stock kit though. Anyway, I helped him fix and stake.

I have a couple complete lowers that I didn't build. They were not staked. SO, not all manufacturers stake.

Since the incident, I staked most nuts. It doesn't take all that much like other poster has said. But it makes you feel a little better. And yes, it's not that hard to take off if staked. Little bit of cold blue or aluminum black to touch it up. All good.

Loctite may or may not help. Just make sure you clean off the oils from the tube and nut first. sometimes they are coated with manufacturing oil and dry lube. Just don't clean off the dry lube inside tube. (Although I am not really an expert on that.. so perhaps check elsewhere about that).

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:57:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2014 9:14:07 PM EDT by FALARAK]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Parley:
View Quote

I have had plenty come loose over the years.

You should either stake or use ONE drop of blue Loctite.

I use any center punch handy, I have an automatic center punch, or I will sometimes grab a pointed tap (even though those are NOT meant to be used as a punch an can shatter) they work well and you don't have to hit hard to stake.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:16:32 PM EDT
Ive seen my fair share of castle nuts come loose. Stake it but you don't need to smash the shit out of it, just enough to move some metal into the cut out area for staking. If yours doesn't have that, just do it anywhere right on the joint.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:36:54 PM EDT
I recommend the cheap $5 harbour freight center punch. Makes a nice round stake very easily.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:39:54 PM EDT
Yeah I stake them since its really easy to do. I just use any punch with a pointed tip.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:59:27 AM EDT
go to home depot and get a $8 spring loaded center punch, and stake it. it was designed to be staked.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:40:40 AM EDT
I personally don't think you need to. I have not had any come loose. But if you think it will come lose then stake it. Like everyone else said it is not that hard to do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:42:29 AM EDT
You should always stake it especially if you're going to run your AR hard or trust your life with it. I use a Starrett 5/32" center punch or a Starrett Automatic center punch. Stake in two places and it won't come apart until you take it apart.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:55:12 AM EDT
I don’t stake mine, but I do periodically check them.
If it was a duty weapon I would stake.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:10:22 AM EDT
I end up swapping parts around on my AR's way more than I originally expected. Having that nut staked seems like it would not be worth the trouble when even the weakest grade of loctite will keep it in place almost a well as staking would.    

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:30:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

I use any center punch handy, I have an automatic center punch, or I will sometimes grab a pointed tap (even though those are NOT meant to be used as a punch an can shatter) they work well and you don't have to hit hard to stake.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Originally Posted By Parley:

Good advice, F.  The castle nut must be secured or it will eventually work loose from use of the stock.  Staking is the ultimate semi-permanent method, there is even small spot on one of the parts for that purpose.  My son's rifle got the cold chisel to the metal treatment.  A small amount is just right.  Too much staking in multiple spots creates a nut that can't be loosened by ordinary means.  

Later, when it came time to attach my Vltor A5 receiver extension, I put 2 drops of blue thread locker, one on each side of the tube, just before the nut reaches its homestretch, then tightened snugly, no staking.  That way, I know that is won't come loose merely from forces applied in service, but for sure I can break it loose with a proper wrench and a lower receiver block, and not too much torque. - CW
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:40:41 AM EDT
Your gun will function just fine with a loose buffer tube.
Keep it tight and run what you brung.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:49:43 AM EDT
Well,

My personal preference is a dab of locktite on it...after it is all complete and tested...
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:26:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ScoeyAz:
Your gun will function just fine with a loose buffer tube.
Keep it tight and run what you brung.
View Quote

Nope. A loose buffer tube means the buffer retainer could pop out of place. That'll jam up the carrier real quick.
Top Top