Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/14/2005 2:39:12 PM EDT
Welcome to my rifle upgrade. By the end of all of this... I hope to have a pretty decent weapon.

I am gonna start with the mags.....

I have 26 Steel SAR80 mags. I love the damn things... they are freaking tough as nails. They have survived more bumps and drops and falls... and have yet to even bend a feed lip. I just can't part with them and buy new USGI aluminum.

So I am gonna fix what I have....

The game plan will be to buy brand new ORANGE Gen 2 Magpul followers to replace my old orange followers. (Yes... I have a thing for orange followers... I think they are the best color... highly visible, even in low light... and I am elated that Magpul is doing Gen 2 in orange.)

So I bought 27 followers today... and they are on the way. Now, I have NO idea what to do with the old followers. Any ideas?

While the followers are on their way, I thought about refinishing options. My first attempt at spray paint was a disaster, and luckily I only did 2 in Black Rustoleum….

Bleh…. I am gonna forget that ever happened.

So… first I unloaded all my mags (the Lula is SO freaking useful)

Then I put the ammo in the best place I could think of….

(yes, I know many of you think this is the best place for Wolf ammo ;) . But it IS going back into the mags)

Then I disassembled all the mags… and cleaned them… the HARD WAY….

Now I have the following…..

(yes, I live by myself…. So it can stay that way for a while)

NOW I thought about how to refinish all of these. After pricing a bunch of processes, I am going with what everyone told me to do in the first place…. Norrell’s Moly in flat black. Five bucks a mag isn’t bad at all… and I don’t have the ability to spray and cure all these by myself. So I have sent Norrell’s an email… and I am waiting to hear back from them. (there was no number to call on the web site).

So, the goal will be an ultra tough, ultra reliable, long lasting, mag… for less than a new H&K mag.

I will let you know how it all turns out.

Have a good one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:52:36 PM EDT
Ugh, it's even unlacqured Wolf.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:01:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:
Ugh, it's even unlacqured Wolf.

HEHE... sure is... i actually like the Polymer Wolf for blasting/bump firing.

There is a small pile of brass ammo, in between the ammo can and the garbage can, on the table, in the last pic
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:01:58 PM EDT
Five bucks a mag! Thats half the price of a new USGI mag! I think you ought to liberally apply spray paint and touch up as needed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:04:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Five bucks a mag! Thats half the price of a new USGI mag! I think you ought to liberally apply spray paint and touch up as needed.

+1. It might look nice, but the real function is to prevent rust - spray paint is the most economically sound choice.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:04:41 PM EDT

hummmmm.... seriously?

(no sarcasm intended)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:29:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 3:29:42 PM EDT by Sniper_Wolfe]

Originally Posted By Stainless:

hummmmm.... seriously?

(no sarcasm intended)

Seriously.

www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DH30G

Never dealt with them, so it's not a recommendation, but rather just an example of what the going price is.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:18:40 PM EDT
Buy the Norrells, spray it yourself.......
Top Top