Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 12:33:53 PM EDT
I want to rebuild some of my older USGI 20 and 30rd mags and have seen 2 or 3 types of springs... Stainless, CS, and maybe on other one, I'm not sure.  But which is going to be the best in terms of relaibility and last the longest?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
CS is less likely to take a set, which means it should be more reliable, but can rust and needs periodic maintenance.  Stainless is more likely to take a set, but less likely to rust.  Both CS and stainless are less likely to take a set than piano wire, which the standard magazine spring.  I personally think stainless is the best compromise, mostly because of the lack of maintenance and slight performance gain over standard mag springs.

There is a brownells tech article going over the three different types of mag spring material, and their strengths.  They also sell a 10 pack at a nice price.  If you rebuild the mags, get the magpul follower as well.  dsgarms.com sells a enhanced mag which is basically a labelle mag body with a stainless spring and a magpul follower.  That's pretty much the pinnacle of performance and reliability for alluminum bodied magazines.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top