Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2003 9:16:00 PM EDT
I am in the process of building a new gun and I really like the look of a stainless barrel. However, I want something that can take a little abuse if I decide to go apeshits with the trigger one day. I am stuck between stainless and chrome-lined. What do you think? Thanks...
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok are you talking about a stainless finish on the outside, or the bore?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know they made a barrel with only stainless finish on the outside, since the only thing I like about a stainless barrel is the look. If there's any way I can find a barrel that's got a stainless finish on the outside, while having a chrome-lined bore, please guide me to it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:55:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I didn't know they made a barrel with only stainless finish on the outside, since the only thing I like about a stainless barrel is the look. If there's any way I can find a barrel that's got a stainless finish on the outside, while having a chrome-lined bore, please guide me to it.
View Quote

I dont think there's such a thing as a SS chrome lined barrel, it would be kinda nice tho. I've looked into it b4, zippo results. Oh well, the chrome lining will outlast the SS anyways plus the finish on AR barrel's looks very very nice and it is extremely durable/resistent.
HUNTER.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're really that into it, buy a chrome barrel and have it refinished.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:51:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you're really that into it, buy a chrome barrel and have it refinished.
View Quote

Who does that kind of refinishing?
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Accurate Plating and  Weaponary (spelling?) in Clearwater FL has done my IPSC 1911's. They do a beadblast on the curves and a brushed finish on the flats. The brushed looks just like stainless, though the bead blast looks just like...well, bead blasted stainless.

BTW, I have been shoot ing these pistols for about 6-10 years and the finish shows no wear.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe the Chrome lined barrel only outlasts 20% longer than a bushmaster Stainless steel barrel. SS barrels are also ALOT more accurate.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure how much more resistant a chrome-lined bore is to apeshit than a SS is  but i would suspect that you will have many happy years with a stainless barrel.

FWIW i've never heard of anyone having a gun finished in SS, hard chrome or silver looking finishes yes SS no.  I don't even know that it is possible to plate with SS.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I believe the Chrome lined barrel only outlasts 20% longer than a bushmaster Stainless steel barrel. SS barrels are also ALOT more accurate.
View Quote

I don't want to get into a pissing contest here but under arduous shooting conditions chrome lined should last considerably more than 20% longer than SS.  Finally, SS barrels are no longer "A LOT more accurate than chrome lined."
(The topic title mentions "battle rifle".  Chrome lined will give more than sufficient accuracy, far easier to keep clean and will last much longer than SS under battle conditions.  If you're gonna shoot cheap, filthy, cruddy out-of-spec milspec ammo get chrome.  If you get SS plan on buying good ammunition.)
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you're gonna shoot cheap, filthy, cruddy out-of-spec milspec ammo get chrome.  If you get SS plan on buying good ammunition.)
View Quote

Not meaning to start a fight, but not true at all.
I shoot wolf and other russian steel-cased, dirty ammo all the time out of my Bushmaster SS barrel. No problem whatsoever. I don't know about groups with that type of ammo, but i kill bowling pins at 100yds with each shots.
With 55gr .223 winchester from walmart i get one to sub-MOA at 100 yrds.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]
You can use a stainless barrel ape $hit style just as hard as a Chm. lined barrel. They cost more.
GG
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I think 5subs point was that if you pay extra for the stainless, you are really throwing that money away by shooting cheap ammo.
If I pay the bux for a nice barrel, I'm not ruining it with cheap ammo.
According to bushy's web site, it's about 50 bux extra for the SS.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

..........if you pay extra for the stainless, you are really throwing that money away by shooting cheap ammo.
If I pay the bux for a nice barrel, I'm not ruining it with cheap ammo.
View Quote

Yep !
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're gonna shoot cheap, filthy, cruddy out-of-spec milspec ammo get chrome.  If you get SS plan on buying good ammunition.)
View Quote

Not meaning to start a fight, but not true at all.
I shoot wolf and other russian steel-cased, dirty ammo all the time out of my Bushmaster SS barrel. No problem whatsoever. I don't know about groups with that type of ammo, but i kill bowling pins at 100yds with each shots.
With 55gr .223 winchester from walmart i get one to sub-MOA at 100 yrds.

Just my .02
View Quote

Lockedon, there are some here that can  shoot .5" groups at 3000 yds while holding an M-16 in their teeth.  However, I'm not one of them.  I also don't shoot milsurp out of my stainless steel match barreled rifles.  But that's just me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Thats pretty amazing.

My final advice is, get whatever you like best Womb-Raider. either are good options that have their ups and downs.
And 50 bucks isn't that much more for a stainless steel barrel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#16]
If your talking about a real battle rifle I don't think that you would want a SS finish on it. It would be too shiny and reflect light possibly giving you away. Chrome lined barrels should last longer and SS barrels will be more accurate, but not that big of difference for a battle rifle. If you need every 1/16" for matches you need to have a SS. Chrome lined will be easier to clean also.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top