Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/27/2003 11:46:31 AM EDT
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse guys.  Itried a search.  But I'm trying to decide between a complete upper from Bushmaster(chrome-lined) or RRA(stainless).  What are the advantages/disadvantages of the chrome-lined vs. stainless?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:56:49 AM EDT
Chrome lined barrels will last longer and clean up easier. They are also a lot easier to break in. All you have to do to break in a chrome lined barrel is shoot 200 rounds.

Non chrome lined barrels are said to be more accurate.

I would recommend a chromed barrel to anyone but a competitive shooter. I have a chromed Bushy barrel and am VERY pleased with it.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:12:51 PM EDT
Stainless also overheat & don't cool off as fast as chrome lined. SO, they won't sustain a military rate of fire.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:44:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2003 12:47:41 PM EDT by jem375]
Just get what you want, the difference between Stainless and chrome is hardly worth mentioning
and I doubt if I will live long enough to shoot my stainless steel barrel out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 2:36:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2003 5:24:09 PM EDT by Mike7111]
Roger that jem375, I can't argue any of the points in this thread, they'er all valid.  I own a BM 20" SS and get great groups off the bench.  Depending on who you talk to, SS is suppossed to have a specific break-in period.  I can't quantify that, but I can say this...I feel as competent with a gun as any average shooter, and from what I have gleaned from this site, either will suit most persons needs.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:10:01 PM EDT
UTPABRONICS,
you don't mention what type of shooting you intened to do ??

For an all purpose type weapon, get chrome lined.  If you're gonna shoot dirty, cruddy out-of-spec mil-spec ammunition, get chrome.

For max accuracy get SS.

Hard to say much more.

5sub
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:31:05 PM EDT
It is my understand through some research before I bought my chromy, that SS wear similar to that of a standard Chrome-oly.  Only the SS has superior corrosion protection (naturally)

The chrome lined barrel is great because it last app. twice as long as the SS or chrome-oly barrel, and has corrosion protection like SS.

Few things I hadn't seen mentioned yet.

Gundraw
Top Top