Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2005 11:35:36 AM EDT
Jesse @ Stag just emailed me a cost for the holy Certificate of Un-Assembly so I can build my AR pistol - $20.  That's 20% of the original cost of the reciever.  And I have to buy one for my brother for xmas as well :(

Gig 'em,

PO2 backbencher USNR
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Waste of $$.  Simply have the yellow form noted as "stripped receiver" or the like.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You have lost me, just tell them that you want it as a pistol when you buy it and fill out the form at your FFLs....
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Bowhunter, et al:

Stag is only charging $20 for a single certificate w/ both SNs.  Their website charges $7 shipping on a $40 order - glad I called & complained when I realized it wasn't secure.

It might not be needed - but down the line when the rogue FedEx team that was placing stocks on receivers in the dead of night comes to light, @ least I'll have proof of my good intentions... :)

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Waste of $$.  Simply have the yellow form noted as "stripped receiver" or the like.  

Its actually a white form now
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Mega makes lowers with "PISTOL" engraved in it.

Just have the white form (the form formerly known as the yellow form) read 'pistol receiver'.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

ditto. and even this is unnecessary.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:17:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its actually a white form now

Well I guess I'll have to go buy another firearm to see if you are right...  
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:23:54 AM EDT
[#8]
noticed that there are dealers charging extra to write "lower" on the 4473.

if anyone cares to read big-bore's tacked thread in the pistol forum you will see that all this extra stuff is unnecessary.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#9]
eklik,

http://www.jcweaponry.com/images/ar15/BB.JPG

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=245366

You'll see our friendly BATFE does recommend certification from the manufacturer.

"Therefore you should obtain certification from the manufacturer of the receivers verifying that they have never been completed in a rifle configuration."

I wonder why they don't require certification from FedEx or UPS?  :)

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#10]
actually the atf letter that big-bore got states that as long as the lower started as a virgin lower it was ok to build into either rifle or pistol. but if built into rifle first it can not be rebuilt into a pistol.

the letter states that, make sure you have your dealer not mark the lower on the 4473 as a rifle. nothing about have a certificate from the manu. or what not.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=245366
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#11]
my dealer doesnt take advantage of the situation and charge extra for writing the description of the lowers on the 4473 as "lower" instead of  "rifle" like most i have seen at gunshows and manu.

northwest houston tactical
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Got my cert w/ 2 S/N's stamped on it.  Now I wonder, can I get FedEx to certify they didn't pull 'em out of the bags & put shoulder stocks on 'em?  : )

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top