Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2011 2:56:57 PM EDT
So, I see this 11.5" Stag barrel today. It is a 1:7 twist, 4150 steel, chrome lined. 5.56 NATO for $199.99. I'm thinking with tax that's about $20 cheaper than a BCM 11.5" shipped to me. What is the real difference between the two? I'm looking at a BCM standard barrel to finish my pistol build. Will accuracy, longevity, etc. really be that much improved with the BCM? Just trying to get a handle on what I'm really paying for here.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking 2.5 MOA at 100 yards/meters? I don't know that I've pushed my 11.5" BCM out to 100 yards seriously yet. The indoor range I sometimes frequent only goes to 100 yards, and I usually shoot at 25-50. Every now and then I'll push it out to 75, but I'm never satisfied with my performance. I have a feeling that has more to do with me than the barrel. Lately, I've been standing up when I shoot - unsupported.

I guess one can't really expect precision from an 11.5" barrel, but it puts rounds on paper at any distance so I guess that's acceptable. I've put probably only half as many rounds through mine as you've put through yours.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are you talking 2.5 MOA at 100 yards/meters?

2.5 MOA is 2.5 MOA.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you talking 2.5 MOA at 100 yards/meters? I don't know that I've pushed my 11.5" BCM out to 100 yards seriously yet. The indoor range I sometimes frequent only goes to 100 yards, and I usually shoot at 25-50. Every now and then I'll push it out to 75, but I'm never satisfied with my performance. I have a feeling that has more to do with me than the barrel. Lately, I've been standing up when I shoot - unsupported.

I guess one can't really expect precision from an 11.5" barrel, but it puts rounds on paper at any distance so I guess that's acceptable. I've put probably only half as many rounds through mine as you've put through yours.

Barrel length shouldn't really affect accuracy, especially in the ranges you stated.  If you're happy with the bcm you currently have I would think $20 would be worth getting something you know and like..

FWIW I have a 11.5" bcm and its always done everything I've asked of it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I like BCM, I own 2, but I wouldn't have any problems with the Stag with it being 4150 and 1/7.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, at this point, which one is in-stock?  Barrel market is cleared out right now.

I'm sure that Stag can build a good barrel.  Everything that I've seen in their new LEO line is pretty nice.  Always have had good experience with stag.  However, BCM has a reputation, and in particular, a reputation for excellent SBR reliability.

I'd save a few bucks for the BCM unless you gotta have it now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#8]
BCM is normally $229 plus shipping but is out of stock. Stag is in stock and local for $199 plus sales tax. The DD barrel is online at ADCO and available right now. I'm in no particular hurry and for the price being so close I will probably wait out the BCM. There really needs to be a significant discount on the Stag over the BCM for me to move on it. I was just curious and maybe feeling a little impulsive.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
BCM is normally $229 plus shipping but is out of stock. Stag is in stock and local for $199 plus sales tax. The DD barrel is online at ADCO and available right now. I'm in no particular hurry and for the price being so close I will probably wait out the BCM. There really needs to be a significant discount on the Stag over the BCM for me to move on it. I was just curious and maybe feeling a little impulsive.

If the DD is CHFed then I'd go DD.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#10]
The DD is available in both 11.5" and 10.3" lengths. I built the last pistol with a 11.5" barrel and am inclined to do the same with this one. DD's price is about $30 less than the BCM BFH model.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#11]
BCM BHF 11.5 is in stock....just fyi
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh, I know!

I keep looking to see when the standard will be back in stock which isn't a good thing because I don't have any money for it right now. I just splurged on a rail for the build, but the barrel and a muzzle device are the last two components I need and then off to GDS!
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I know!

I keep looking to see when the standard will be back in stock which isn't a good thing because I don't have any money for it right now. I just splurged on a rail for the build, but the barrel and a muzzle device are the last two components I need and then off to GDS!

just sign up for the notification and hang in there....it will show up one of these days...probably late afternoon on a Sunday
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Snagged a brand new, unfired BCM 11.5" BFH barrel the other day.It should be here by Tuesday! I've also got an AAC FH on the way, too. It should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. This could mean that I drop off all the parts at GDS on Thursday which of course means that I could be picking up an assembled upper this Friday!!!

I'm going to go ahead and order some LaRue Tactical index clips & handstops in OD green on Monday. My pistol could be complete by this weekend!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top