Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/19/2012 6:15:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 6:26:54 AM EST by Westcyde]
I recently ordered a brand new stag arms model 3L from stag through a firearms dealer in my area. I went with the model 3L because I liked the flat top, and I was told I could put magpul flip up sights on it. I upgraded the handguard to the versa rail drop in system that stag offers. Upon receiving this rifle I noticed there was about an 1/8 of an inch movement in the versa rail hand guard, which cause the sights to not line up. I reached out to stag and they said this is perfectly normal and acceptable, however, the dealer I purchased it from disagreed and said he had never heard of this before.

Stag is telling me to mount the front sight on the gas block but the gas block is lower than the rail on the top so the sights wont line up. When asked what set of sights would actually work on this rifle, I was told I need to have a fixed metal front sight. So my question to them was, why sell a rifle without a fixed front sight if thats what it requires and there are no flip up sights that will work?

Now my only option is to upgrade to a samson free float rail that is going to cost me another $270.

Has anyone else dealt with these problems with stag model 3, and is there any solution? Right now I have a $1,000 rifle with a useless hand guard, useless sights, and I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn on my best day. Would love to hear others takes on this.

Also, I purchased the carry case they had (they no longer sell it) and the shoulder strap broke on the first day.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:03:18 AM EST
sorry to hear your having issues with your Stag, I have a 3L and love it.

I used a MI flip up front sight on mine till I replaced the gas block with a low profile one.
There're are several companies that make a "gas block" height front sight, metal is recommended because that part of the rifle gets quite hot.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:11:17 AM EST

Looks like your 3L has a "drop in" style handguard (not suitable for mounting sights).

Troy makes a gas block front sight.. Its about $120. Or you can put a decent Troy free-float handguard on it, again around $175.

Troy Gas Block front sight

troy 7" rail Bravo
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:12:20 AM EST
Very "un-Stag-like" to get that kind of response. I think I'd try calling them again - or maybe writing - to see if I could get another rep to talk to. I can't believe they won't make it good.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:15:54 AM EST
Yea customer service inst really answering any of my questions. They said the only option is a fixed metal front sight, which made me ask why they would sell it without one to begin with?

I guess I should also be upset with the firearms dealer that sold me on the stag model 3 with the magpul sights that dont work for that rifle...he should have known better.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:18:52 AM EST
is this troy gas block sight a flip up? will it line up with the rear magpul flip up?

Also, will it be the right height since the gas block is lower than the actual rail where the rear sight sits?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:51:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By Westcyde:
is this troy gas block sight a flip up? will it line up with the rear magpul flip up?

Also, will it be the right height since the gas block is lower than the actual rail where the rear sight sits?

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Contact Troy to verify, but it is my understanding that Yes is the answer to all your questions.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:58:11 AM EST
awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I like the magpul sights so maybe its best to go with the free float hand guard.

Eventually I'd like to put a red dot and the vortex vmx3 on there, need to make sure everything will line up properly.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:25:41 AM EST
If it turns out they won't help you, there are several companies that make front sights for railed gas blocks. Brownell's has several: YHM, Midwest Industries, or Brownell's (out of stock). You have to read the descriptions or Q&A to see if they are "receiver height" or "gas block height", but the three I linked are gas block height.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:27:11 PM EST
I recently ordered a brand new stag arms model 3L from stag through a firearms dealer in my area. I went with the model 3L because I liked the flat top, and I was told I could put magpul flip up sights on it. I upgraded the handguard to the versa rail drop in system that stag offers. Upon receiving this rifle I noticed there was about an 1/8 of an inch movement in the versa rail hand guard, which cause the sights to not line up. I reached out to stag and they said this is perfectly normal and acceptable, however, the dealer I purchased it from disagreed and said he had never heard of this before.

Stag is telling me to mount the front sight on the gas block but the gas block is lower than the rail on the top so the sights wont line up. When asked what set of sights would actually work on this rifle, I was told I need to have a fixed metal front sight. So my question to them was, why sell a rifle without a fixed front sight if thats what it requires and there are no flip up sights that will work?

Now my only option is to upgrade to a samson free float rail that is going to cost me another $270.

Has anyone else dealt with these problems with stag model 3, and is there any solution? Right now I have a $1,000 rifle with a useless hand guard, useless sights, and I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn on my best day. Would love to hear others takes on this.

Also, I purchased the carry case they had (they no longer sell it) and the shoulder strap broke on the first day.

I have a Stag 3 and have mounted a Yankee Hill gas block sight. You need a metal sight due to the heat generated on the block; this will melt the plastic Magpuls. You can get this sight from Primary Arms for $59.99.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:01:48 AM EST
Hey, I appreciate the feedback, thanks.

I think at this point ill add a free float hand guard...i really dont like the movement in the drop in.

Anyone want to buy a diamondhead versa rail v-rs, included is one piece of rail. Hand guard sells for $109, and rail sells for $15. Also have a stag arms carry case, the soft tactical one they used to sell and an otis field cleaning kit, all purchased direct from stag. Case was $70, cleaning kit was $35.

Willing to sell it all for...$160...paid $220.

Could use the money towards the new hand guard.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:02:14 AM EST
I picked up a Smith the other day with a quad rail and it was loose also. Its not just the Stag's it seems.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:36:55 AM EST
Drop in rails are not meant to mount sights on even though many are solid enough to do that.
If you really wanted irons on your rifle it is hard to beat a fixed A2 post front sight.
If you really want your sights on the rail you will need to cough up the jack to put a free float on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:37:24 AM EST
So I'm sure I am upgrading to a free float hand guard. I want to keep the magpul flip ups.

I plan on adding a red dot sight as well as the vortex vmx3.

Has anyone tried the vortex vmx3 and what are your thoughts?

Can anyone recommend a good red dot to go along with my magpul flip ups? I dont want to spend crazy money on it either.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:17:16 AM EST
So I'm sure I am upgrading to a free float hand guard. I want to keep the magpul flip ups.

I plan on adding a red dot sight as well as the vortex vmx3.

Has anyone tried the vortex vmx3 and what are your thoughts?

Can anyone recommend a good red dot to go along with my magpul flip ups? I dont want to spend crazy money on it either.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just like the rail...pony up the cash and buy a Aimpoint Pro.
It won't break the bank at around $400 with mount and you
won't have buyers remorse. every time you use it you will
thank yourself for not buying cheap. Cheap AR's are ok
cheap iron sights are fine don't buy cheap optics.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:44:18 AM EST
Thanks for the suggestion! I am looking at the aimpoint pro right now, looks nice.

Do you know if this can be used with the vortex vmx3? I'd like to add something like the vmx3 so I have some magnification power without switching optics.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:34:27 PM EST
The Troy Gas Block height site is the closest one for your Model 3. I went through the same situation about a year ago and after speaking with one of the engineers at Stag and CS at Troy, MI, YHM and etc. I determined that the Troy works best and is only about .010" off from being the exact height of the rear site.

Everyone's Gas Block Height Site has a different centerline of bore to pin height.

Good luck whichever way you go.

fish
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:10:58 PM EST
Thanks for the suggestion! I am looking at the aimpoint pro right now, looks nice.

Do you know if this can be used with the vortex vmx3? I'd like to add something like the vmx3 so I have some magnification power without switching optics.

I have no experiance with magnifiers but I am sure many
here on the board can help.
Top Top