Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2012 7:27:57 PM EDT
I have a stuck LC11 reload stuck in my chamber and the bolt is stuck also,any safe idea's other than letting my Gunsmith deal with it? My common sense says to leave it to him!! GT27
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Put the rifle on "safe"
Close the collapsible stock (if you have one).
Grasp the charging handle and smack the buttstock against the ground.
Repeat the smack to the ground as needed to get the bolt to unlock and extract the round.

This procedure is called "mortaring". It allows you to gain enough force to make the bolt unlock and rip out the cartridge from the chamber.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I just tap the charging handle with a rubber mallet
on the right side while unlocking the CH...
Another thing that works is while pointing the rifle
downrange turn it so the ejection port is facing down and
while unlocking the CH just smack it foward on the edge of the table
or the bench you're shooting from...
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
$85.00 to fix, caused by a defective Lee 223 die set,and using cast bullets.The die was not not sizing the case fully and, also the GS made me promise not to shoot anymore cast bullets in it.He spent 1 hour cleaning the lead from the barrel and the locking lugs!!!! The design is made to shoot jacketed only! I knew this , I was just trying to load a round that would cycle the action,decent MOA,and bullets could be cast of wheel weights on the cheap! Not happening with this caliber once you get above 2,000 fps cast turns it into a FUBAR!!! Sticking with jacketed bullets for this platform from now,lesson learned!!! Thanks for the reply's!
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just tap the charging handle with a rubber mallet
on the right side while unlocking the CH...
Another thing that works is while pointing the rifle
downrange turn it so the ejection port is facing down and
while unlocking the CH just smack it foward on the edge of the table
or the bench you're shooting from...

I wouldn't recommend this way because of safety reasons with the free float firing pin.  

The above 'mortar' technique would be easier and safer as a result.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the reply's all,next time "Mortaring" will be the method I use,crossing my fingers for no "next time"!
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Dano523, I'm using a Lee Bator mold drops at .225,average 55 grain bullets,water quenched,GC'ed,IMR4895,trying to work up a functionable,decent accuracy,at least a 4 MOA round to be acceptable. From what I hear it's a lost cause with the Bator,and the RCBS or Saeco was recommended because of the better profile.Few are successful with the lead I guess because I don't see that many praises using them.Right now I have some IMI 62 grn. that have a cannelure.and when I crimp at the cannelure their too long to function in the mag! I tried seating above the cannelure,then using the Lee FC die and had some bullet set back????? This platform is the most finicky with ammo that I have ever used!! The learning curve seems to be the size of Mt. Everest to me,and I've been reloading for 35 years!! Thanks to all for the input, and any more input you may have,my opinion you are never to old to learn! GT27
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top