Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2008 6:56:27 PM EDT
Hello all. I'm a new member here although I've visited from time to time over the years. Unfortunately I live in California so I have to live with the gun laws against evil black rifles and other scary firearms. Fortunately I do have a registered "assault weapon" or two and I am building a California legal AR. This leads to the reason for my post.

I just bought a Stag 2HT upper assembly. It is actually the second one. I bought one and after getting it home, noticed that the barrel or front sight was canted to the right. I also noticed that the included Samson handguard was a little lower than the rail on the top of the receiver. I returned that example and got a replacement. All looked okay in the store but I was pressed for time so I had to leave. The store happens to be an hour each way drive away from home too.

This second 2HT had the same issue with the Samson rail being lower than the rail on the receiver. The result is pictured below. The rails do not sit flush. The first picture shows it pretty clearly. The second picture shows the gap under a straight edge. The problem that causes is that my EOTech will not mount properly. I would like, and should be able to mount it so that the front sits at or just over where the delta ring would be. The height difference with the rails prevents that from being possible. The EOTech rails do not sit properly due to the height difference. I can mount it all the way on the handguard but I do not like that position. I cannot mount it all the way to the rear because the ARMS BUIS doesn't give enough room for the EOTech to be locked in the rail. If the EOTech is all the way forward, it cannot slide back farther than where the receiver begins. It butts up against the height difference. Likewise for aft to front.

Bottom line is that I am really unhappy and frustrated. I was really expecting more from Stag after reading so many good things about their products. What's the use of having a continuous rail if I can't mount my optic of choice in the position I want? Is this typical of Stag? Has anyone else seen this? I have now seen it on two 2HT's. Is there a simple fix for this? If I can't get this squared away, I'm returning it and starting over. help
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd280/PNG_x5world/IMG_4093.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd280/PNG_x5world/IMG_4095.jpg
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Might take a look at LMT  MRP Upper

I run aARMS 40 & Eotech 551 on my Back Up LMT M4
I have plenty of room in between
This is a Regular LMT M4 Upper

Good luck
I hope everything will work out
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
id say call stag and work it out, from what i hear there great at taking care of there customers.Ihave the same upper,so decided to check mine and everythings good(ive only had for about 2 months,put one mag through it) so i never looked at it that closely i guess,i got a little worried cause i plan on putting an eotech on mine as well,and would like to keep it back as far as possible too..good luck keep us informed on what you do with it....Tony
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
id say call stag and work it out, from what i hear there great at taking care of there customers.Ihave the same upper,so decided to check mine and everythings good(ive only had for about 2 months,put one mag through it) so i never looked at it that closely i guess,i got a little worried cause i plan on putting an eotech on mine as well,and would like to keep it back as far as possible too..good luck keep us informed on what you do with it....Tony

From what I have learned, this is not an isolated problem. I saw two 2HT's like that and another dealer pulled one out of his stock and it has the same sort of problem. The answers I have found are to 1) use a shorter EOTech like an N series; 2) get a different handguard like a Daniel Defense; 3) get a riser or scout rail from the likes of GG&G or YHM. The last option is the easiest and might prove more functional because it would raise the EOTech about .2" and that would give a clearer view of the sight "donut".

My options are to take it back and start over, which the dealer is willing to work with me on, or get a riser. If a riser will be a clean solution, would you keep the 2HT or just get something else?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I have learned, this is not an isolated problem. I saw two 2HT's like that and another dealer pulled one out of his stock and it has the same sort of problem. The answers I have found are to 1) use a shorter EOTech like an N series; 2) get a different handguard like a Daniel Defense; 3) get a riser or scout rail from the likes of GG&G or YHM. The last option is the easiest and might prove more functional because it would raise the EOTech about .2" and that would give a clearer view of the sight "donut".

My options are to take it back and start over, which the dealer is willing to work with me on, or get a riser. If a riser will be a clean solution, would you keep the 2HT or just get something else?

Is it the rail that's out of spec or the upper?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top