Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 3:24:22 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Just got my Stag Model 4 (20" A3) and took it out today for some range time. Put in 3 rounds into my clip, fired the gun and noticed it didn't cycle the next round. Dropped the clip and attempted to pull the bolt back... nothing.

Took the upper off the lower and through force got the case to eject. OK, lets try it again... HAPPENED AGAIN!!! This time I couldn't get the bolt back (it was almost all the way forward, about .20" from being "closed") no matter what I tried. So I shot a few rounds through my Bushmaster M4 and it was FINE.

Got the Stag home and had to put a cleaning rod in the muzzle and bounce it up and down a few times to get the bolt to retract back so the casing could come out....

What the hell is going on??? Its a brand new rifle and it could only be shot twice!! Ammo i'm using is Wolf 55gr FMJ (drab-greenish ammo).

please HELP!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't recommend taking your maiden shots with crappy ammo like Wolf.  I'd blame it on the ammo until you try something different.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude,

I read the title and new it was Wolf ammo...

Try some more ammo then if it does it again you may have a QC problem with your stag...

Let us know

Mike
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dude,

I read the title and new it was Wolf ammo...

Try some more ammo then if it does it again you may have a QC problem with your stag...

Let us know

Mike

Actually guys, it has gotta be the upper reciever... I have a Bushy M4 and the Stag A3 and I swapped the bolts and the Bushy still cycles fine. Even went as far as switching the mags, lower recievers and bolts in various combos.. Each time the Stag is still pretty rough when I pull on the charging handle to eject the round it just is NOT smooth compared to the Bushy..

So I doubt its the ammo, it's gotta be in the upper reciever.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Mike

Actually guys, it has gotta be the upper reciever... I have a Bushy M4 and the Stag A3 and I swapped the bolts and the Bushy still cycles fine. Even went as far as switching the mags, lower recievers and bolts in various combos.. Each time the Stag is still pretty rough when I pull on the charging handle to eject the round it just is NOT smooth compared to the Bushy..

I know everyone likes to jump on the bash Wolf bandwagon. But I shoot mostly at an indoor range that requires HP or SP ammo. Yes Wolf is a little underpowered but I have broken all seven of my AR's and two I assembled for others on Wolf. No ammo related issues with any of them. If you are having problems, it is most likely the upper. Send it back to Stag and have them look at it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Out of all the factory ammo I  have ever personally witnessed have a malfunction, WOLF takes the #1 spot . Thats in AR rifles.  Do your rifle a favor and shoot quality brass. IMO WarDawg
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey guys,

Just got my Stag Model 4 (20" A3) and took it out today for some range time. Put in 3 rounds into my clip, fired the gun and noticed it didn't cycle the next round. Dropped the clip and attempted to pull the bolt back... nothing.

Took the upper off the lower and through force got the case to eject. OK, lets try it again... HAPPENED AGAIN!!! This time I couldn't get the bolt back (it was almost all the way forward, about .20" from being "closed") no matter what I tried. So I shot a few rounds through my Bushmaster M4 and it was FINE.

Got the Stag home and had to put a cleaning rod in the muzzle and bounce it up and down a few times to get the bolt to retract back so the casing could come out....

What the hell is going on??? Its a brand new rifle and it could only be shot twice!! Ammo i'm using is Wolf 55gr FMJ (drab-greenish ammo).

please HELP!!!

Doubt its the ammo. I had the same troubles with OLD lacquer Wolf and a multitude of other ammos. Before going nuts and sending it back to Stag try a few different ammo brands. I recommend Federal and Winchester.

I had a similar problem with my gun, increasing the tension on the extractor with a #60(?) O-ring solved the problem, but I could have used a better spring or a D-Fender. But who knows it could be a multitute of problems. Could be an out of spec chamber, bad bolt, bad headspace, who knows.

But try the other ammo and check out your extractor before you go nuts, if that dont work then send it back.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#9]
For christ sake, it isn't the ammo.  Granted, Wolf is under powered, so it will amplify short stroking.  However, in this guys case, he has already fired the ammo in another gun.  Plus, he has isolated the problem to the gas port/FSB/gas tube or he might have an improperly reamed chamber.  Try cleaning the chamber really well with your chamber brush, then visually inspect it.  Verify the gas tube isn't obstructed.  Try blowing down the muzzle with your finger over the breach to verify the flow path from the gas port to the end of the gas tube.  

I agree you should try breaking in the gun with a full powered, brass cased ammo.  If it still doesn't work, send it back to Stag.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mike

I know everyone likes to jump on the bash Wolf bandwagon. But I shoot mostly at an indoor range that requires HP or SP ammo. Yes Wolf is a little underpowered but I have broken all seven of my AR's and two I assembled for others on Wolf. No ammo related issues with any of them. If you are having problems, it is most likely the upper. Send it back to Stag and have them look at it.

You have broke all 7 or did you mean you have broken in all 7?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top