Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 8:53:31 PM EDT
I recently had the chance to use a Springfield 4x14-40 mounted on a Bushmaster varmint rifle, I really liked this optic a lot.  Where is a good place to purchase Springfield optics, and is there any other scopes out there that are equal to this optic?  Also, I was told that there are 2 models one standard and one that is equiped with the 5.56 bullet drop, will either work on a .223/5.56 rifle?  Help, I don't want to order the wrong scope.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay away from SA scopes. They're terrible. I had 3 of them, and they all 3 took a dump on me. They're nothing but eye candy. If you're gonna spend that kind of money, get something like a Weaver or Nikon, or even a VX-3 Leupold. The glass is MUCH better, and they won't crap out on you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Agreed, the Springfield looks nice, and the bangwhiz rangefinding reticle is nice, but that thing was just not great. It is a BIG scope. The real problem I had with it was that it was dark. Not great glass for light transmission.

I switched to a Leupold VX-II Tactical. It is there economy tactical model. It is 3-9x, target knobs, blacked out ring, and the glass is much brighter than the Springfield was.

Just my experience anyway
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:11:43 AM EDT
[#3]
From my personal experience, they are junk.  A lot of other folks feel the same way.

[url]http://www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000409#000017[/url]

[url]http://www.snipershide.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000273[/url]

[url]http://www.snipershide.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000106[/url]

Read those 3 links about the Springfield scopes.  They pretty much sum it up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:16:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I switched to a Leupold VX-II Tactical. It is their economy tactical model. It is 3-9x, target knobs, blacked out ring, and the glass is much brighter than the Springfield was.
View Quote

I have one of these on a bolt gun (CZ527, 222 Rem) and it is perfectly capable of repeatable sub-MOA accuracy.  The target knobs do away with the friction adjustments that were one of the major downsides of the Vari-X II line.

jafager
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, click adjustments are nice. The numbered knobs are nicer. I used a computer sight in at my local range. I set the so that Zero on the knobs is set for 100 yds. Then I ran different distances through the computer, how many clicks for different distances, and whicj number on the turrets corresonds with the clicks. I just keep the list with the rifle, and can adust the scope to the range I need by looking turning it to whatever number I need. Woks well, and I can turn it right back to 100 yd zero. Mine is on a RRA 16" varmint upper, and will give me MOA with no problem.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#6]
If you really want one try:

[url=www.quanticoarms.com]Quantico Arms[/url]

It appeared he had them in stock last time I was in his shop, and he supports the site.

Though I would get a VariXIII for the same money before I EVER bought a SA Scope.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#7]
i may have on for ya...

SA 6-20x56 Mil dot Lit recticle. Not even a year old. I like the scope. I just foudn a great deal on a M1 garand, and i need the cash.

drop me a line if you're interested.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top