Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/28/2006 8:33:17 PM EDT
Finally got to take my AR to the range to sight in and noticed a definite "spring noise" with each shot.
Sounds like the action spring. Is this normal and should I just live with it? Can or should something be done about it, like some lubrication? Appreciate your advice on this.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:35:33 PM EDT
lightly lubricate the spring with clp, and the noise may be less pronounced. However you will find the noise is common with the AR15 design.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:36:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 8:36:37 PM EDT by SelectFire]
That's "SPRONG".....you'll learn
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:47:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 8:48:04 PM EDT by DK-Prof]
It's broken - and not safe to use. Sorry you got a lemon buddy. Just send it to me and I'll dispose of it safely for you.

Seriously. That "SPROING" sound is a trademark AR sound, and they all do it. It wouldn't be an AR if you didn't hear it a little. You can always try to lubricate or grease it a little if it bothers you, but it is completely normal, and after a while you won't notice it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:00:26 PM EDT
^^ LOL

Yeah, it's normal. It lets you know when you are out. If another round loads you get the SPROING! If you fired the last round and the bolt locked open, you get SPR...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 9:12:41 PM EDT by gunz4me]
I like the "sprong" noise because it usually helps me to notice when I have an empty magazine. On one of my ARs that required significant break-in, it also helped me notice when there was a jam to clear. For some reason, a stovepipe generates the oddest "sprong" noise.

Last story: A few weeks back, while at the range with my younger cousin, who is a former ROTC/Louisiana National Guard /soon to be Air Force Pilot, I heard the dreaded sprong noise and upon inspection realized that I had the strangest jam on my AR. I couldn't clear the jam because the casing was too far in to reach without tools. I was one step away from driving the pins out in a desperate attempt to remove the upper from the lower, when my younger cousin took the rifle from me. Wham, one slam of the butt stock to the ground and the jammed casing fell to the floor.

EDIT: Skyssx beat me to the punch because I got too hung up in my "last story".
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:48:15 PM EDT
Call me crazy, but don't you guys count your shots to know how many rounds you have fired/how many shots you have left?

And oh yea, the noise is normal.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:53:19 PM EDT
I wouldn't lube the spring. I put some CLP on mine for S&G and that thing was filthy. This is all from range use too. God knows what it would look like if it were in battle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:14:35 AM EDT
Buy a Magpul M93 stock and instead of a "SPROING" it makes more of a "SHOOSH" noise...kinda of like the door noise on the original Star Trek.

Having said that, it does serve a valuable purpose... after you get a thousand rounds or so downrange, you can tell when the mag is empty just by the different sound.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:19:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:
Buy a Magpul M93 stock and instead of a "SPROING" it makes more of a "SHOOSH" noise...kinda of like the door noise on the original Star Trek.

Having said that, it does serve a valuable purpose... after you get a thousand rounds or so downrange, you can tell when the mag is empty just by the different sound.

maybe you have one of the recalled buffer tubes with the ring marks on the inside? none of mine make that noise.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:21:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:
I wouldn't lube the spring. I put some CLP on mine for S&G and that thing was filthy. This is all from range use too. God knows what it would look like if it were in battle.

+1 on not putting anything on the spring, it works and its normal.

shooting in a dusty enviroment the oil attracts a lot of dirt.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:34:33 AM EDT
As another alternative, you can install one of the Tubb (or another maker's) chrome silicon springs----that will basically do away with the sound you are hearing----and, as an aside, that is a spring that will last the life of the gun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:46:23 AM EDT
That’s just the sound of your AR-15 purring.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:03:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Thuban:
That’s just the sound of your AR-15 purring.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:20:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:48:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:

maybe you have one of the recalled buffer tubes with the ring marks on the inside? none of mine make that noise.

No, mine predates those tubes considerably. It is an original M93 (production version).
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:16:10 AM EDT
Like others have said, it's completely normal. There is a definite difference in the sound on the last shot. Lets you know when you're empty. It's a feature. A harley sounds like a harley, and an AR sounds like an AR.

If you want to deaden the sound a little, my Bushmaster Modular has a neoprene cover of some type on the skeleton stock. I can hardly hear it. A little lube might help too, or one of the other stocks suggested above.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:53:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:
Call me crazy, but don't you guys count your shots to know how many rounds you have fired/how many shots you have left?

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I have too hard of a time remembering which magazines were loaded to full capacity and which ones only got 28 or 29 rounds in there, thus, counting my shots drives me nuts because I keep thinking I am going to run out at 28. That is where the sprong noise comes in handy

I also have a couple of 20 rounders that only let 18 or 19 rounds in there. Same issues with counting.

I leave you with a couple of questions to ponder: If your life depended on it (i.e. you had to use your gun for defensive/offensive purposes to save your butt), do you think counting rounds would be a priority?

When shooting a full-auto, how do you count your rounds? BTW, I love renting full-autos at the various ranges that have them!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:58:48 AM EDT
You can purchase various types of hydraulic buffers that do not have that noise, because they do not use springs.. AWC makes one that is also a rate reducer (for full-auto) as well as a "recoil reducer" for semis.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:15:49 AM EDT

I never count my rounds and never have. To me it is very obvious when my rifle hasn't chambered another round so I know it is either time to change mags, or SPORTS.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:26:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dennysguns:

Keep em dry people. They were designed that way. The noise means it is working

Denny

It's good to see one of these threads without ONE imbecile recommeding a bunch of grease in the buffer tube!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:52:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By demigod:

Originally Posted By dennysguns:

Keep em dry people. They were designed that way. The noise means it is working

Denny

It's good to see one of these threads without ONE imbecile recommeding a bunch of grease in the buffer tube!

Don't worry, I am certain there is at least one fool out there who will end up recommending that we do just that!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:19:01 AM EDT

Nope...., I load a tracer for the 3rd to last round so when I see it fire I know I have only 2 rounds left!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:22:11 AM EDT

Nope...., I load a tracer for the 3rd to last round in my SHTF mags so when I see it fire I know I'm down to 2 rounds!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:25:23 AM EDT

And oh yea, the noise is normal.

Crazy. And that's comming from a Marine. You can't seriously expect to count rounds fired in anger while concentrating on engaging targets.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:52:03 AM EDT
I love the sound of "sprong" in the morning. It sounds like victory.
Top Top