Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2003 5:28:39 PM EDT
Hey guys, I've heard of products such as Gunkote and other spray on finishes. I've also heard of Teflon coating.  Can somebody give me the scoop on these, and if I have an airbrush, where can I find these products.....and ohhh yeah, which one is best?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:31:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Check with www.brownells.com as they have various finishes in liquids and spray cans.  The spray cans are pricey but great in that there is no cleanup as needed with an airbrush.  One can could easily finish a rifle.  I've used most all the various spray on finishes but like Gunkote and Alumahyde II best.  Gunkote needs baking whereas the AH II does not.  Surface prep is the key to a good job; blast with alum oxide for the best appearance and adhersion.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have an airbrush, I would recommend John Norrell's Moly-Resin finishes.  I redid one of my Colt M4's with John Norrell's flat black SOCOM finish and the it has held up very well.  It is very durable.  Prideboss uses it to refinish the rifles he sells on these boards.  For more info, check this link:

[url]www.funsupply.com/firearms/finish.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#3]
[url=www.nouglyguns.com]No Ugly Guns[/url] has do it yourself kits
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used Brownell's teflon moly, Norrell's moly resin, and Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II.

The teflon moly spray cans clog up too fast, you really can't remove overspray or drips/runs, and it goes on kinda thick.

The Aluma-Hyde takes a week to fully cure and still scratches off pretty easily (like with a fingernail).

Norrell's resin goes on in thin coats, can be cleaned with acetone or MEK, and after baking is hard enough to file your fingernails on.  The downside? It requires purchase of a $10 airbrush.  [url]www.molyresin.com[/url]

Haven't used Gunkote but have seen a 1911 frame finished with it, it looked good.  

Gunkote and the Brownell's products are sold at [url]www.brownells.com[/url].

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks sooo much for all the great info guys......once again AR15.COM proves to be my GREATEST resource.

J.D.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget [url=www.lauerweaponry.com]Lauer's Custom Weaponry[/url] Duracoat and Camocoat.

I am in the process of designing camo patterns for 3 of my rifles and plan on using Duracoat on my %80 Lowers when they are finished.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:45:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:54:05 AM EDT
[#8]
This is the topic of much discussion over on [url=http://www.falfiles.com/forums]FALFILES[/url].  You might want to try a search in the gunsmithing forum.  I personally aim to try gunkote in OD on my recent FAL build.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top