Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 8:01:00 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a top quality spotting scope. I'm looking at the Kowa 821/1 (with a 27X LER) and the 661/2  (with a 25X LER) series scopes. I don't currently compete in High Power competitions. I can't decide which type of eyepeice will serve me best.

If you have any comments or suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. I would especially like to hear for anyone who has experience using both types.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I like straight.  45 degree eye piece is for bench shooters, I don't shoot from a bench.  It's also easier to align the scope to the target when you're not looking down as you would with an angled eye piece.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#2]
A 45 degree eyepiece makes it easier to see the scope while in position.  The straight models are more useful in the field, where you're more concerned with acquiring and tracking your subject.  With a 45 degree setup, you can usually set it up so that a slight turn of the head, or even a movement of your eyes, puts you on the scope.  Almost all Highpower shooters use a 45 degree eyepiece, and theose that don't usually switch as soon as they can afford it.  I prefer the 661 as it's lighter, smaller and less expensive, but provides the same high-quality image as the 821.  You do give up some light-gathering capability with the 661, but it's more than adequate for any conditions that a match would be fired in.  If you get the larger scope, be sure to get the 821M which has improved weather sealing compared to the older 821; the 661 is good as is - it was introduced in the same time frame as the 821M.  Be sore to stay with the LER eyepieces as they're the only ones on the market that let you see the full field of view while wearing glasses.  The latest eyepieces are the LER/WA models with a larger field of view than the standard LER; they let you see more targets which can be useful at longer ranges (600-1000 yards) to catch a change in conditions by letting the other shooters find it for you.  The best source for buying a Kowa is Jim Owens (http://www.jarheadtop.com/) - his prices include the padded cover and shipping.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top