Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 9:13:38 AM EDT
Those of you who have a Sportsmans Warehouse near you, how are they?  Do they have good stuff and decent prices?  I am asking because they are opening one up in Las Cruces, NM and that is only 40 miles from where I live.  El Paso has crappy sporting good stores and I am wondering if it is worth the drive over to Las Cruces to check them out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Best prices on .223 (federal  ae)$4 and black hills55 grain $10.99.  Also for .357 sig and 9mm. Liked them so much I got  a part time job with them.
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#2]
My opinion is that Sportsmans Warehouse has decent but not great prices. For instance, they offer the Glock 19 for $499 but my local gun shop sells them for $459. On the other hand, they sell Federal American Eagle .223 for 3.99 per box with a 5% discount on case prices. This matches the best prices on the web(1k rounds for $205 out the door).  They have a pretty good selection. I have one a few miles from work and I go there all the time.  I would say you should check it out and decide for yourself if it is worth the trip. They do have nice sales when they first open up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The one in my area has good prices on guns and ammo. For instance they had a price of $859.00 on a Bushy Varmither then put  a sale price of $759.00 on it. The clothes are kinda high end, high quality. Black Hills 52gr 50round box was I think $16.00. Wolf poly 62gr was $3.00 for 20rounds.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#4]
We  have all the "big box" sporting goods stores relatively close by up  here in Northern Colorado.  Of all of them (Gander Moutain, Cabelas, Pro Bass, Dicks, Big 5)  it seems to me the Sportsmans Warehouse stores have the best consistant pricing followed by Cabelas. The rest , unless they have a sale, are usually pretty pricy. I would think it would be worth a 40-50 mile trip to Las Cruces for some shopping.  Plus. then you have an excuse to eat  at La Posta in Old Mesilla.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I really like the one here in Texas.  They had, with the emphasis on 'had', great prices on black hills ammo but recently raised the prices $3.00 a box.  I'm semi-over-it now.  Anyway they are pretty reasonably priced on their goods.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#6]
We got one 2-3 years ago. Prices aren't that great on loaded ammo and reloading stuff. Firearm prices aren't too bad and they have a good selection.

When they first opened they had some spectacular prices but slowly they jacked prices up beyond the competition but the sheeple still go there like moths to the flame !

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
We  have all the "big box" sporting goods stores relatively close by up  here in Northern Colorado.  Of all of them (Gander Moutain, Cabelas, Pro Bass, Dicks, Big 5)  it seems to me the Sportsmans Warehouse stores have the best consistant pricing followed by Cabelas. The rest , unless they have a sale, are usually pretty pricy. I would think it would be worth a 40-50 mile trip to Las Cruces for some shopping.  Plus. then you have an excuse to eat  at La Posta in Old Mesilla.h.gif  

Yeah La Posta kicks ass, and I can play with the Pirahna fish they have.  It doesn't open until August but from what I have heard it should be good.  And Las Cruces tax is less than El Paso.  Thanks for all the replys guys.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my sportsmans warehouse! 10.99 blue box
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think they are that great.  Although 2 weeks ago I did pick up 6-50 round blue boxes of Black Hills Ammo 68 grain .223 for $15.99 a box.  A week later, they realized the mistake and marked them$18.99 a box
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I love them!

Great deals on reloading gear - awesome selection of powder, bullets, brass.  Decent prices.  Very fair prices on ammo and guns

More than you can expect from a chain store.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Well hopefully this one in Las Cruces will be good.  5 more months untill I find out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I like them, and shop there weekly.  No frills, decent prices, and they carry a good selection of firearms and ammo.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I have purchased several thousands of dollars worth of stuff from them in the past few years.

HOWEVER,

I liked them, until the last experience my buddy and I had there.  After a 2 hour drive (we arrived 1/2 hour prior to their closing time) my buddy picked out his new Bushy within 5 minutes of our entering the store.  The kid behind the counter told us that CBI's background checks were taking a long time and we would need to come back.  The store didn't close for 25 minutes, and this kid refused to call in the background check.  I asked him if they could call it in, lock the front door if the check took over 25 minutes, and we would really appreciate it.  Nope.  

I spoke with the manager within a few days and he said he would rectify the situation.  He called back saying he would give my buddy 5% off the cost of the rifle.  Fuck that, it cost us $60 in fuel and a wasted 4 hour round trip--and to have to go all the way back???  Honestly, I will never shop there again.  I will never send anyone in their direction again as a result of their customer service practices.  From now on I'll drive down to Eagle Firearms.

YMMV

--VT
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I just went to the SW in PHX for the first time.
My first impression is it's a great place for selection(!), they've got it all esp. when it comes to ammo. A very spacious, organized store and a pleasure to shop there.
Friendly and helpful staff too.
Prices were , as others said, okay. Nothing great, but okay.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#15]
There's one in Phoenix?  The one in Gilbert/Mesa is ok.  Prices are decent but not great.  I am NOT over the $3/box increas in the BH Blue Box however.

If you reload they have a great selection of powder and primers at excellent prices.   Die selection is poor (I only use LEE).  Bullet selection is pretty good and prices are comparable to Midway.  Brass selection is fair, Win/Rem only, no nickle plated, nothing too exotic.  

Ammunition selection is hit/miss.  For example, they have been out of the FAE .223 for at least two weeks now.  They were out of the BH BB for several months.  Have a decent selection of Wolf ammo, but none of the Wolf Shotgun ammo (ended up buying Federal Tactical double-0 instead).

Some pretty nice camping gear.  About a quarter to a third of the store is relegated to the arcane art of tormenting fish.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have purchased several thousands of dollars worth of stuff from them in the past few years.

HOWEVER,

I liked them, until the last experience my buddy and I had there.  After a 2 hour drive (we arrived 1/2 hour prior to their closing time) my buddy picked out his new Bushy within 5 minutes of our entering the store.  The kid behind the counter told us that CBI's background checks were taking a long time and we would need to come back.  The store didn't close for 25 minutes, and this kid refused to call in the background check.  I asked him if they could call it in, lock the front door if the check took over 25 minutes, and we would really appreciate it.  Nope.  

I spoke with the manager within a few days and he said he would rectify the situation.  He called back saying he would give my buddy 5% off the cost of the rifle.  Fuck that, it cost us $60 in fuel and a wasted 4 hour round trip--and to have to go all the way back???  Honestly, I will never shop there again.  I will never send anyone in their direction again as a result of their customer service practices.  From now on I'll drive down to Eagle Firearms.

YMMV

--VT

Seems like it was the worker that was the dick not the store or the manager itself. Giving a discount on any firearm from any retail chain seems like pretty good customer service to me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There's one in Phoenix?  The one in Gilbert/Mesa is ok.  .

Or was it Glendale...?
Anyway, it's on 39th Ave 1 block S of the 101
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Mil ID card also gets you an add'l 5% at the register. They'll never tell you that, but it IS their policy.
Also don't hesitate to haggle with a dept manager if you want something that's either the last one, or a diplay model....I got my Dillion RL 550B for $225, and the manager threw in 1 conversion plate set, because I waited til they only had one left.

sigadvantage could most likely tell us more about discounts there????Hmmm?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Mil ID card also gets you an add'l 5% at the register. They'll never tell you that, but it IS their policy.

Active duty or just any .mil ID?

I have Guard and DoD civilian ID cards.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:55:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure, but if you go get a new Guard ID it just says Army, like the AD ones.  They changed it a few months ago.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOWEVER,

YMMV

--VT

Seems like it was the worker that was the dick not the store or the manager itself. Giving a discount on any firearm from any retail chain seems like pretty good customer service to me.

Yeah, taking 5% off retail firearm purchase like that is a great deal.  He did his best to rectify the situation.  Loosen up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure, but if you go get a new Guard ID it just says Army, like the AD ones.  They changed it a few months about 2 years ago.

Fixt

I think it's any Mil ID, but I don't know if that includes DoD civvie or not. My guess would be that it only applies to those wearing uniforms, part time or full.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Boise store isn't too high on prices when compared to internet prices, but they are hit or miss on inventory.  Some prices are even cheaper, AE is $3.99/box.  Local Idaho merchants have always gouged Idahoans on prices, so Sportsmans is usually cheaper than the small gun shops.  We're getting a Cabelas this summer and Im hoping they will actually have what we're looking for.

You guys paying $10.99 for Blue Box are getting off about $3 bucks cheaper than us here for 55gr.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I went to the Tucson store with a bunch of bonus money and a gift card to buy a gun on a day they weren't very busy.  I could not hold the attention of two counter clerks who only needed to find a gun in inventory to make a $1000 sale.  They stopped for every non-purchasing idiot to answer stupid questions and could not place a gun in my hands in an hour.  I emailed the store manager and goe exactly ZERO response.  

Fuck them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I went to the Tucson store with a bunch of bonus money and a gift card to buy a gun on a day they weren't very busy.  I could not hold the attention of two counter clerks who only needed to find a gun in inventory to make a $1000 sale.  They stopped for every non-purchasing idiot to answer stupid questions and could not place a gun in my hands in an hour.  I emailed the store manager and goe exactly ZERO response.  

Fuck them.

For every person who walks in the store ready to make a "$1,000.00" purchase there are more than a few "non-purchasing idiots" at the counter.  I have one question for you though, how in the world did you determine the other persons at the counter weren't going to purchase a firearm?    Did you mean to say they were not purchasing one at that particular time, or did you mean they would never puchase a firearm?  The reason I ask is I currently work part-time at a Sportsman's Warehouse and I would love to know how to weed out the "non-purchasing idiots" from the more desirable paying customers such as yourself so I could devote all of my time to customers such as you.

On the other hand, I suppose you have never been at a gun counter to just look over several weapons or even to just ask questions so you can make an informed weapon purhase at a later date.  You must be the one-in-a million person who just blows into the store and buys a gun right off the rack with no questions at all.

Geez, I wish we had more customers like you at my store!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or was it Glendale...?
Anyway, it's on 39th Ave 1 block S of the 101

Ohh didn't know about that one, just the one out in Litchfield (on Dysart) and in Mesa (on Greenfield South of the 60.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Used to work at the Fargo ND store.  Have no real complaints about them.

Today I went into the St Cloud MN store and ordered 4000 rounds of Rem UMC 9mm 250 round boxes.  Just about walked out with nothing until 3 of the assistant hunting managers got involved along with the Hunting Manager.

Wanted an Armalite AR-15A3 with collapsible stock, 16" barrel.  All they had were Bushmasters.  Instead, I made arrangements to get a Stag Arms Preban delivered to the store.

As to the military ID,  ANY military ID will get you the discount.  You should go to the Customer service counter to have less of a hassle with it though.

Just got word though this week, they changed company policy to no longer allow the CCW classes be held in the stores corporate wide.

As to prices, I found I get better prices on the rest of the stuff with my C&R FFL and ordering the stuff on-line in quantity.  Powder and primers will get you a better price as you don't have to pay haz-mat fees.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#28]
.mil discount, awesome.

Their prices on most things seems pretty good, but some of their ammo prices are just a little higher than Academy & Wal Mart.

But I love SW.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or was it Glendale...?
Anyway, it's on 27th Ave 1 block S of the 101

Ohh didn't know about that one, just the one out in Litchfield (on Dysart) and in Mesa (on Greenfield South of the 60.

Fixed it for you...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top