Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/8/2010 6:05:43 PM EDT
Recently it looks like everyone is on the spikes bandwagon. Part for part is it better than the M&P? I've got a new M&P that I could sell to get a Spikes if they're that much better.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
yes the Spikes is truly better than an M&P. Would I sell the M&P to buy the Spikes? Probably not worth the trouble, unless you're really making out on the M&P sale.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't sell mine (S&W) but the specs on Spike's barrels and bolts are higher grade than your typical M&P-15.

I see that S&W has new models in the M&P-15 line, and they include features such as 1:7 twist, mid-length gas, a piston option, etc.

Not sure if they have 4150 mil-spec barrel steel available now though.

As I said, I'm not unloading mine, it performs well for me, but I did pick up a Spike's also to add to my collection.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Get both!  duh

Let's say you did sell your M&P and get a spikes...

you probably wouldn't notice the difference

I have a spike's and I also have a M&P lower with an RRA upper.  The frankengun shoots everything I've tried just fine, even brown bear, it also will also stabilize and shoot 77gr bullets and it's only a 1:9 twist.  Neither have given me any trouble whatsoever...the only difference between them is that the spike's is a midlength and seems to shoot softer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#4]
does the spikes shoot softer because of their buffer?   I am torn between a spikes and bravo company for 100 more
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't jump on the band wagon. Stick with the Smith.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Specs wise the Spikes is a better rifle but chances are you'll never notice the difference.   Just save up and get both.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

does the spikes shoot softer because of their buffer?   I am torn between a spikes and bravo company for 100 more

I don't know, I never bothered to swap them to find out.  You could always get the BCM and stick the spike's buffer in it later.  They're only $30 w/ free shipping from AIM.

Tough call though, spike's are HPT tested now and that was the last thing that was really the difference between the two.  BTW, It's not $100 difference, it's only like $50.  Spikes is $480 shipped from AIM and BCM is $520, I think shipping is about $10.  I bought the spike's like two weeks before BCM started their sale.  Had they been on sale when I was ready to make a purchase I would have been having trouble making a decision too.  But I don't regret it, it's nice and I'm happy with it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Id go wit Spikes only because of the CS.

My .02

J
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
yes the Spikes is truly better than an M&P. Would I sell the M&P to buy the Spikes? Probably not worth the trouble, unless you're really making out on the M&P sale.

I own both and the Spike's is a much better bang for the buck than BCM....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know, I never bothered to swap them to find out.  You could always get the BCM and stick the spike's buffer in it later.  They're only $30 w/ free shipping from AIM.

Tough call though, spike's are HPT tested now and that was the last thing that was really the difference between the two.  BTW, It's not $100 difference, it's only like $50.  Spikes is $480 shipped from AIM and BCM is $520, I think shipping is about $10.  I bought the spike's like two weeks before BCM started their sale.  Had they been on sale when I was ready to make a purchase I would have been having trouble making a decision too.  But I don't regret it, it's nice and I'm happy with it.

But with Spike's you get hand guards and a buffer also... I would never buy another BCM over spike's personally.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#11]
only reason I'd sell my M&P to get a Spikes is because of the barrel/BCG and Mid-length options. But I might just buy a Mid-length upper from spikes in the future.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I would still pick BCM.

J
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

either way, get the spikes buffer.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Spikes bandwagon...

I'd keep the Smith just because of that.

I have the M&P 15X and it is just fine.  Why go through the trouble?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:31:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Keep the smith and save for a BCM.  Spikes are great but BCM is the real deal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:30:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

either way, get the spikes buffer.

And the NBC trigger

If you want midlength just to get the extra grip, just get a rail that extends to, or past the FSB.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Recently it looks like everyone is on the spikes bandwagon. Part for part is it better than the M&P? I've got a new M&P that I could sell to get a Spikes if they're that much better.

Buy a Spike's & decide for yourself. All you're going to get in response to your question is personal opinions anyway.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Spikes is the better rifle.  However, are you likely to ever notice a difference?  No.  If it won't cost you much to upgrade, then do it.  If you have to spend much to make the switch, I would stick with the M&P, as it is still a good rifle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would still pick BCM.

J

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would still pick BCM.

J

There is really no advantage of a BCM over a Spikes anymore. Spikes seems to be every bit a good but for less $$. I have a BCM and have a Spikes coming, but I'm totally expecting the Spikes to be every bit as good.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I guess it depends on who you talk to. I like spikes, but I also like S&W. I've owned a couple from both companies, and they have both worked very well. I could see no reason to sell one to get a different one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

not trying to start crap, but in what ways is the Spikes better?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

BCM is better than Spikes, i wish people would stop talking like they're the same.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:45:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Just do it. The only difference you will notice is(Peace Of Mind)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Twist rate, barrel steel, bolt carrier, hp & mp testing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BCM is better than Spikes, i wish people would stop talking like they're the same.

Please explain what makes them better.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

based on what exactly? BCM has been around longer yes, so perhaps that is what you are referring to.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Small differences...

Spike's uses B-11595E barrel steel. S&W uses 4140.

Spike's individually HPT and MPI tests barrels, S&W does batch testing.

Spike's uses 1:7 barrel twist, S&W uses 1:9 barrel twist.

Spike's comes with an ST-T2 buffer, S&W uses a standard carbine buffer.

Spike's uses an M16 bolt carrier. S&W uses an AR15 bolt carrier.

Spike's has double heat shield handguards, S&W uses single heat shield handguards.

Basically, more testing done to ensure quality with a higher grade barrel steel, heavier carrier and buffer for smoother/slower cycling, and 1:7 barrel twist. The handguards don't matter much in my opinion.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Small differences...
Spike's uses B-11595E barrel steel. S&W uses 4140.
Spike's individually HPT and MPI tests barrels, S&W does batch testing.
Spike's uses 1:7 barrel twist, S&W uses 1:9 barrel twist.
Spike's comes with an ST-T2 buffer, S&W uses a standard carbine buffer.
Spike's uses an M16 bolt carrier. S&W uses an AR15 bolt carrier.
Spike's has double heat shield handguards, S&W uses single heat shield handguards.

Basically, more testing done to ensure quality with a higher grade barrel steel, heavier carrier and buffer for smoother/slower cycling, and 1:7 barrel twist. The handguards don't matter much in my opinion.

yeah...i'll agree with that except for twist rate, it really doesn't make a huge difference. my M&P has been flawless, but i upgraded the bcg, buffer, and trigger so i can't really do a fair assessment. the Spikes is a great deal for sure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look up Pat Rogers test & eval BCM called Filthy #14, let me know when a Spikes is put through the same punishment. Last time I read that BCM is still being used in his classes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Does Spikes make a better rifle for the money? Yes.

Is it enough of a difference to sell the M&P you already have to get one? In my opinion no.

Nothing wrong with an M&P. If I were you I would keep it and just buy the Spikes down the road so you can have both.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Well the swap wouldnt cost me anything. And I may even make a couple bucks on it. But the 3 month wait time would suck.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look up Pat Rogers test & eval BCM called Filthy #14, let me know when a Spikes is put through the same punishment. Last time I read that BCM is still being used in his classes.

It doesn't matter, people around here will never acknowledge the proof and expertise of somebody like Pat, all that matters to them is that there rifle has gone 500 rds without a malfunction so it must be just as good as a Colt, BCM, etc.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#34]
I own a Smith now, and would never sell it.  On the other hand I would absolutely buy a Spikes, and look foward to doing so.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't matter, people around here will never acknowledge the proof and expertise of somebody like Pat, all that matters to them is that there rifle has gone 500 rds without a malfunction so it must be just as good as a Colt, BCM, etc.

I asked you to explain the difference and you have not. I personally have a Noveske upper (from BCM) on a Spikes lower and my COLT SP1 that I bought new in 1987. Pat is very knowledgeable
but he isn't what I asked about. It is plan and simple, back up your statement with facts.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#36]
I goofed, double post
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Look up Pat Rogers test & eval BCM called Filthy #14, let me know when a Spikes is put through the same punishment. Last time I read that BCM is still being used in his classes.[/

I asked you to explain the difference and you have not. I personally have a Noveske upper (from BCM) on a Spikes lower and my COLT SP1 that I bought new in 1987. Pat is very knowledgeable
but he isn't what I asked about. It is plan and simple, back up your statement with facts.
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm237/thefryzone/P1010003.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm237/thefryzone/P1010085.jpg

span]

I'd like to hear those facts too. Also read 87GN's testing of the Spikes M4 pretty good rd ct on an uncleaned gun.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#38]
How many Arfcommers does it take to pull a bandwagon?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not sure… how many does it take to poo-poo a great company?
I would guess the 2 numbers were related.
Spikes makes a great product and their prices are the best in the business and you do not have to sacrifice ANY quality to enjoy the savings.

But, I certainly wouldn’t sell my M&P just because Spikes is “all the rage” right now.
S&W makes a great rifle and there is now reason to get rid of it (now if I could sell it and make money and replace it with a Spikes I would probably do that and buy ammo or optics or whatever with the extra)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I am researching my first ar15 purchase and am close to purchasing.  

In my uneducated opinion, when questions like this are asked someone needs to post a link to THE CHART (link below).   THE CHART will clarify the differences in specs and easily communicate a value vs dollar option.  Spikes is not listed on THE CHART but from what I can tell the specs would put them in the left hand (higher end) portion.  

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

=======================

Spikes is not on the chart but should be. tech docs here  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=282&t=194245&page=1&sr=0

======================

In my uneducated opinion, the spikes is technially superior and value vs dollar the one to buy.   But...  I have never seen anything negative on s/w mp15s.   and they are just below the top tier.    The AR15s on THE CHART  being sold today are not Century Arms Galil rebuilds that wont feed any ammo at all.   They are professionslly built weapons (some might not be military grade but will work almost the same).    

Enjoy your SW.   Feel good and have fun shooting.   I might be buying SW optical ready soon.   or a spikes or both.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Kyle Lamb wouldn't have endorsed the M&P if it were a POS.

Spikes is GTG also.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Kyle Lamb wouldn't have endorsed the M&P if it were a POS.

Spikes is GTG also.

Pat Rogers also said the new S&W models were GTG. That's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure… how many does it take to poo-poo a great company?
I would guess the 2 numbers were related.
Spikes makes a great product and their prices are the best in the business and you do not have to sacrifice ANY quality to enjoy the savings.

But, I certainly wouldn’t sell my M&P just because Spikes is “all the rage” right now.
S&W makes a great rifle and there is now reason to get rid of it (now if I could sell it and make money and replace it with a Spikes I would probably do that and buy ammo or optics or whatever with the extra)

You are spot on.  I feel about ARs the same way I feel about handguns.  My preference for them is a Glock and M&P.  Does that mean that Sigs or XDs or any other brand carried by LEO for duty is inferior, NO.  With handguns it is a bit different than an AR, because they feel different, and the two brands I listed fit me great.  However, ARs are more the same feel from brand to brand than a handgun.  This is a debate that is unwinnable by any one person, or any one brand.  I do feel that bandwagoning to "fit in" is kinda weird being that we are all adults.  I don't know about most people on this site, but I don't think we are putting our guns through 25k a year firing routines, and most any brand will hold up just fine.  Just stay away from Vulcan / Hesse / whatever their company name is for the day.  In the end, the old saying goes, "If you are happy, then it was a good deal for you."  I also personally like buying what is at the local fun shop.  I have made some great friends and shooting buddies  there, and we go sit around an old dining room style table and shoot the shit a few times a week.  I am shopping there for the friendships and to keep my money with a local business more than anything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Look up Pat Rogers test & eval BCM called Filthy #14, let me know when a Spikes is put through the same punishment. Last time I read that BCM is still being used in his classes.[/

span]

I'd like to hear those facts too. Also read 87GN's testing of the Spikes M4 pretty good rd ct on an uncleaned gun.

Yep.  No doubt BCM is great, and up until Spikes released their tech docs, they were thought of as the better gun.  Please, as others have asked, provide some facts that show BCM is a better gun than Spikes.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#45]
wow...truth be told none of you will ever notice the difference between a Spikes and a S&W. now it's turning into a BCM vs. Spikes thread. buy from any quality maker and you'll be happy. if you're a mil spec junky...buy a BCM or a Colt. would i trade my M&P for a Spikes? hell no. would i trade it for a BCM? hell no. i'll just buy a Spikes or BCM and have another great AR sitting beside my M&P.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I own an M&P, which is pretty awesome. My plan is to buy a Spikes next, not hopping on the bandwagon though. I read an article in the July (I think) issue of S.W.A.T. Magazine. Now I don't usually believe everything I read but this article was full of facts that prove the Spikes is a great gun. With quality comparable to KAC, LWRCI and Sabre Defense among a few others if my memory serves. This and the fact that I've heard alot of good things about 'em on this site is the reason I decided on Spikes, but either way I guess I'm along for the ride. Don't sell the M&P though. Have Both.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

span]

do your own research, the facts and testimonials are out there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

span]

do your own research, the facts and testimonials are out there.

The facts are that Spike's is every bit as good a gun as BCM.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#49]
All this "my dad can beat up your dad" is making my head spin. My $.02 is from what I have heard the M&P's are a good rifle. But i dont own one. I would'nt sell it if your going to lose $ that could be spent on ammo. I do own a Spikes AR and its my favorite one. IMO keep your M&P and build up a Spikes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I own a Smith now, and would never sell it.  On the other hand I would absolutely buy a Spikes, and look foward to doing so.

Same here.   I've been to Spikes location a few times and found them devoid of "gunshop snobbery".   Great attitude and good products.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top