Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2012 8:38:24 PM EDT
I am looking at the BAR rail from Spikes.  Does anybody have any feedback on the rail?  Is it very stout/robust?  Is it really that big, as in width/height?  How does good is the mounting system?  Thanks in advance for the opions guys, L2B
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking at the BAR rail from Spikes.  Does anybody have any feedback on the rail?  Is it very stout/robust?  Is it really that big, as in width/height?  How does good is the mounting system?  Thanks in advance for the opions guys, L2B

I don't have one to speak for it's sturdiness or quality, but here are some links with some information:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_438/203389_.html
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_282/203631_Differences_between_BAR_and_SAR_handguard_.html
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have installed the BAR and SAR for others as well as myself. I'm not a fan of rails but prefer the feel of the SAR due to it's narrow profile. The BAR is very sturdy. The rail mounts to the large barrel nut with six T25 screws. Two screws at four points around the circumference of the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I just used the BAR on my pistol/SBR build and pretty happy with it. Seems to be very sturdy and has not play whatsoever. As far as size its about the same as standard MI rail with Magpul XTC panels attached. Personally I prefer the larger purchase on the rail, feels more comfortable for me, and i think better control.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#4]
i have the 12" bar rail... it took some time to get it installed right... the barrel nut has to be torqued on just right, if it is a hair off, it will throw your sights off.. its a really nice rail and easy on the hands. i will probably not buy another one though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have installed a couple for people and they are a bitch to align perfectly with the upper due to their indexing relying solely on attachment to the barrel nut. They do not do a very good job of retaining the dust cover pin either and they are really fat. However, if you want to run a can inside the rail, it may be a decent and fairly inexpensive option.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I would rather have a Troy extreme TRX or DD omega on my 14.5" Spikes M4.  The 12" BAR is good quality, sturdy, and does a good job but weighs 17oz. and I won't be SBRing this rifle  with a suppressor.  However, I have another on a DMR type 18" and I like it on that rifle.  The weight is not a factor since I shoot that one with a 1-4x24 usually at 100m+ and the rest of the rifle is heavy anyway so it doesn't negatively affect balance (LW50 barrel, PRS stock etc).

What kind of AR do you want to put it on?
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think mounting systems can get much more solid than the BAR. It does take time to get it aligned correctly, but the supplied shims and a little patience go a long way.

I'm doing the "can-inside-the-rail" thing for my 300 BLK/5.56 SBR uppers, so the BAR fits perfectly in that niche. It is pretty wide, though. It's about the same diameter as a YHM railed forend, but the edges are MUCH smoother. You could run it without covers and not have to worry about chewing up your hands.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll let you know as soon as my 13.2 SAR gets here......should be any day now..........
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure if the masses here have noticed, but things are going in a more modular direction. Do I really need rails all of the way down 4 sides of the handguard just so I can put covers on them? No. I prefer a nore narrow handguard and recently swapped out a bunch of DD Literails for Troy XTR Alpha Battlerails on every AR except one (it has and Aero Precision C.O.P.). The Troy Alpha units are very light, some can be had with a built in BUIS, the user is allowed to put rails only where needed, and they mount to a milspec barrel nut. They are too narrow to slip a can inside, but other than that, they exceed the needs of most users. I have a few of them and have had no problems thus far.... and no need to cover up a bunch of rails where they are not used or needed. Just a suggestion....
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Can be a bitch to get on right. That barrel Nutt had better be fucking straight. When you slide/hammer it on there are rail lips that wrap around the upper. If your barrel nutt is on crooked you won't be able to get the screws in.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top