Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2010 2:43:03 PM EDT
Guys (and gals?), I just got a .22LR barrel from Spike's this afternoon. The barrel started it's life, presumably, as an M4-profiled barrel before it was cut down to an OAL of 9.75", re-threaded, re-crowned, and re-profiled "as small as possible, skinny as possible." The barrel looks pretty nice; however, the diameter under the handguard is ~0.690" which doesn't seem like much of an improvement over an M4-profiled bbl under the handguard. (Admittedly, the only other bbl I own, against which I can compare Spike's work, is on an LWRC 10.5" M6A2.) I'd give Spike's a call and ask them if ~0.690" is really the best they can do, but it's pretty late in FL right now; so, I was wondering if anyone with a Spike's lightweight dedicated .22LR upper receiver could tell me the diameter of their bbl under the handguard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know for sure but I believe that's as small as it gets. The entire barrel can't weigh much.
I haven't seen any barrel offered any smaller diameter or I'd sure have one....

SpecOps-13
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The entire barrel can't weigh much.

SpecOps-13

You know, it's surprisingly hefty for its size. (To my, anyway; I'm a wimp.) I guess when I requested them to make it as thin as possible, I expected something different.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#3]
A 16" barrel, .680 taper to .580

I have made many short barrels that are .580 - .700 full length

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice barrel collection Retazdog!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice barrel collection Retazdog!

I need to start another batch as one customer in FL purchased twenty 5" barrels at one time and now the collection is getting low

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm feeling a 5.5" build in the future.
Does the 5" keep High Velocity sub sonic? I know the 5.5 wouldn't for me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm feeling a 5.5" build in the future.
Does the 5" keep High Velocity sub sonic? I know the 5.5 wouldn't for me.

Bore size, chamber size and the temp outside can make some 5.5's go super more
the 5" does a better job with more brands of ammo.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top