Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 6:08:33 PM EDT
Ok, i tried to get pictures of this but the camera doesnt focus well enough so I'll have to try and explain it the best I can. It's a brand new Bushmaster A2 type 20". It seems to me that specks are forming all over the receiver, the finish still appears to be there though. They form in small little patches no larger than the size of a pencil eraser and are visibly lower then the finish around it and it's kinda bothering me. Is this normal or a problem I need to fix ASAP. Also, oily spots appear on the side of the receiver that is facing down when stored. I just wipe them off but they always come back. Sorry if this isn't a good enough discription, but it's starting to bother me. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
anyone? wanna know so I can fall asleep :/
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you keeping it in a case with the eggshell type padding? That will cause the spots.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably just the lube/cleaner that you used on the internals.  How are you storing them?  In the stock case?  Not the best idea since the foam absorbs then leaves it on your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes it's in a case with egg-shell padding, I will remove it and see if they go away. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Be sure to wipe with a dark rag rather than paper towells.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are you keeping it in a case with the eggshell type padding? That will cause the spots.

First thing I thought of, too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a pic, clear as I can get it.

The spots dont wipe off, it's like something is rubbing little shallow chunks out of the receiver... is it the egg-shell padding for sure?

(to the left of the magazine release and on the magazine slot)
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#8]
just oil the whole thing for an even finish and call it a day.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I think my question would be, does that happen with wear and use of the rifle? If so, I could care less because I keep good care of my rifles. But if the finish isn't supposed to have little indentations in it, I'd like to know :/
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think my question would be, does that happen with wear and use of the rifle? If so, I could care less because I keep good care of my rifles. But if the finish isn't supposed to have little indentations in it, I'd like to know :/

The egg shell padding should not be affecting the anodizing, as the finish is very hard.  If your anodizing is comming off, then the reciever was not properly finished.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#11]
should i contact bushmaster and try to send it back if this is the case?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Try the oil and a patch and see what happens.

it not the the eggshell hurts the finish, but pulls the oil off the metal which causes the blotchs.

those dark specs wont be caused by the eggshell.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#13]
If it was me I wouldn't worry about it. It isn't going to affect the function & almost every receiver I have seen has one or two minor flaws. Even Colts.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#14]
How heavily do you oil the carrier?  I noticed that if I oil mine up nice and good, and cycle the action with the ejction door open, the oil splashes out when the bolt slams home.  It leaves specs of CLP all over the magwell and around the ejection port.  Maybe that is what they are.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top