Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 6:39:05 PM EDT
I'm taking Gunsite's 223 class later on this year, and was wondering what in the way of spare parts I should bring with me. I have a forged Olympic Arms lower, and 2 uppers: the one that came with the rifle (carbine handguards, 16" barrel), and my new Bushy Dissipator. I will have 2 different red dot sights (EOTech 552, Aimpoint Comp M2), so extra batteries are obvious.

I'm thinking a spring and pin kit from Brownells, but can anyone recommend anything else that might be obvious?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#1]
A spare bolt and bolt-carrier assembly (properly headspaced) should probably address 95% of potential issues......
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm bringing a spare rifle to Blackwater in June. That should cover everything for me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Bring along spare gas rings or a new McFarland 1 piece gas ring, extra extractor, and springs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
IYAOYAS - I sense a former or current AO in the vacinity. My plan is to use the BM the whole time, unless it breaks. It will have all the extra gear I've got mounted to it. I know the stock upper works just fine, but as we all know, switching gear during class is a no-no.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IYAOYAS - I sense a former or current AO in the vacinity.

So, gas rings, and extractor?

My plan is to use the BM the whole time, unless it breaks. It will have all the extra gear I've got mounted to it. I know the stock upper works just fine, but as we all know, switching gear during class is a no-no.

Howdy shipmate

A former AO2 (AW/NAC) 1980-84
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So, gas rings, and extractor?

No a spare bolt.

You will not have time to dick with gas rings or changing an extractor.  All you'll end up doing is pi$$ing off the instructor & fellow classmates.

With a spare bolt you can swap the bolt in seconds and repair problems with the gas rings, extractor, and/or ejector.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I will have 2 different red dot sights (EOTech 552, Aimpoint Comp M2), so extra batteries are obvious.

Are there back up iron sights installed on both uppers?
Mario_FAMOInc
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Both uppers will have irons. The BM has an ARMS #40, and the Oly upper is a normal carry handle upper, with A2 rear sights.

Question: If I just buy a BM bolt assy, can I trust it to be OK, or should I have the headspace checked anyway?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The best "spare parts kit" for a comprehensive carbine class is a second (or third ) complete rifle. If your one and only rifle goes down you will be wasting a lot of extremely expensive time troubleshooting. Think of past problems and how long they have taken to diagnose and repair in the field. Do you really want to be messing around with gas rings, bolts, and extractor springs while your $1100-$1600 class proceeds without you?

If you have a secondary you can use it to finish out the days instruction, and then troubleshoot your primary on your own time.

If you don't own a second suitable rifle can you borrow one from a friend? I have been pretty fortunate thus far in that I haven't had a major problem in the middle of a class. Inevitably someone else has had a problem though, so my spare pistol/rifle/shotgun usually ended up being loaned to a fellow classmate.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:01:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 2 complete uppers, but only one lower.

I suppose I could convince myself that this is the excuse I need to order another lower. I will have the money, after all, and lowers aren't that expensive.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:25:56 AM EDT
[#11]
spare bolt is #1 in my opinion. Spare takedown detent and spring are always handy in case you have to disassemble the rifle, as well as a selector detent and spring. I had a trigger break once, so I carry a spare. Next on the list is a spare barrel incase you get a bad round.

Screw it, an upper is a GREAT idea.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:31:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I consider this a "must have" spare parts kit for a carbine class.

Bushmaster "Emergency Survival Kit":

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/aremerga1.asp

Another good idea:

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/arpartskit.asp
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I took the Blackwater 5 day Carbine class last year, a real great time. My partner and I had no parts breakage or weapons malfunctions during the class. That being said, I would recomend at minimum a spare bolt,head spaced, one of the bushmaster spare parts kits and extra batteries for the red dots. We had back up rifles if the needed. If weight is not a problem bring extra ammo, we needed it and a LULA loader to save wear and tear on the fingers. If the ammo is in boxes, open them and put in ammo cans, this saves time=more shooting. Be preparedfor a great time.
Scott
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I plan on bringing LOTS of ammo; 1500 rounds, minimum, of .223. All 3131A 55 grn, since it's relatively cheap, and what I plan to run in the rifle should I have to use it for social situations.

I'll pick me up one of those Bushmaster kits, along with a bolt.

I can't wait.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top