Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
9/16/2019 10:09:13 PM
Posted: 12/29/2011 8:11:55 AM EDT
I want to use my 5.45 AR (S&W upper) for some classes this year, so I want to have a complete spare bolt and a second, loose extractor. Even if I do have a complete spare rifle, I like to have whatever parts I need to fix my primary rifle, should it go down. Smith prices on parts are ridiculous and I don't think they will sell a bolt loose. So who else sell quality 5.45 bolts and extractors? I know Model 1 does, but their parts don't have a good reputation. I sent an e-mail to Ballistic Advantage to get his price on a complete bolt and loose extractor. Anyone else? Would a bolt and or extractor from a Colt 7.62x39 rifle work?

Thanks, Andy
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 9:44:13 AM EDT
Spikes and Ballistic Advantage...but I think BAs won't be back in stock for a little while but they did e-mail me back right away albeit on my second attempt.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 6:29:53 PM EDT
You can get a complete Spikes 5.45 BCG from AIM for $99
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:32:22 PM EDT
I couldn't help myself, I had to go for the NiB BCG. Thanks for the lead!

Originally Posted By mgcook:
You can get a complete Spikes 5.45 BCG from AIM for $99

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:09:19 AM EDT
Make sure you check headspacing...

I am using the original Alexander Arms bolt. That bolt has the face bored deeper than a standard 5.56 bolt. This is so you can use standard 5.56 extractors. Spikes copied the dimensions off my bolt and used those to have their bolts made. I'm not sure how deep the bolt face is on a SW bolt. I know Model one is not deeper and so they require special extractor and headspace differently.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:52:18 AM EDT
I bought Model 1 spare parts specific to 5.45 and none of it worked in my S&W. The model 1 extractor would grab the spent casing and not let go which is not good. S&W has a lifetime warranty so that is why they tell me they can't sell spare parts to me. I agree I would love to have extra extractors becuase the only problem I've had is with bad extractors.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:02:07 AM EDT
Well I got my Spike's NiB BCG yesterday and I wasn't all that impressed. I expected the finish to be super slick, it wasn't. It also seemed to have some sort of adhesive on it, even after I cleaned that off, it still felt like an epoxy that was soft because it had not fully cured. It was also dirty from firing, more than 1 or 2 test rounds too. I sent AIM, where I bopught it, an e-mail, asking if it might be used. I haven't heard back yet. All in all, I wish I had just gone with the standard BCG.
Top Top