Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 7/5/2012 4:33:36 PM EDT
What spare parts are necessary to have for your AR? I know sooner or later I'm going to make a trip to the range and have to turn back because I didn't think ahead.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:37:29 PM EDT
Bolt assembly in the grip for the long haul BCG complete,LPK complete,charging handle,spare firingpin,campin..retaining pins..springs for BCG and FCG.Iwould just start by getting a second rifle or even identical upper and then some spares that will be a good start.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:39:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By pun:
Bolt assembly in the grip for the long haul BCG complete,LPK complete,charging handle,spare firingpin,campin..retaining pins..springs for BCG and FCG.Iwould just start by getting a second rifle or even identical upper and then some spares that will be a good start.

This is also perfect reasoning to just keep building ARs.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:40:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LAKings22:
What spare parts are necessary to have for your AR? I know sooner or later I'm going to make a trip to the range and have to turn back because I didn't think ahead.

In my option, if Palmetto still has their free shipping deal, just get a LPK without the fire control group (hammer, sear, trigger) and keep that in your bag.  I keep a spare bolt in my grip and that's about it.  Although I rarely go anywahere without at least 2 rifles.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:44:04 PM EDT
Their free shipping ends on the 8th of July according to their site.  They have a bunch of "spare parts" kits and had their complete BCGs for 139 but I think they are out of stock now.   You could always just buy one of their uppers and add the BCG for $100 (save by spending).
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:45:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sjramm:
Their free shipping ends on the 8th of July according to their site.  They have a bunch of "spare parts" kits and had their complete BCGs for 139 but I think they are out of stock now.   You could always just buy one of their uppers and add the BCG for $100 (save by spending).

Take that back, their BCGs are in stock and are $139  and S/H is free right now.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:38:03 PM EDT
Before recommending almost an entire spare rifle, we should ask how much you plan to shoot, and how many rounds per session. Granted, a failure can happen at any time. But some parts fail more often than others, and some failures can be seen coming with regular inspections. I carry a complete bolt assembly, and two sighting systems. The sights aren't really as spares so much as I like to practice with irons and an ACOG. I typically shoot almost every day, but seldom more than 50 rounds per session. I think it's very unlikely that anything will break that I didn't see coming. You can buy an awful lot of practice ammo for the price of an upper or a spare rifle. On the other hand, if you get to the range once a month, it takes an hour to get to the range,  and you want to shoot hundreds of rounds at a time, then more spares, even a second firearm,  would make sense. Based on the 2000 rounds I've shot so far, I don't see any evidence of an impending failure of any kind, so I don't worry about it too much.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:42:41 PM EDT
2nd rifle sounds good to me. I'll start in August. Wish someone told me how addicting this was going to be
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:04:09 PM EDT
I never go to the range without 3-4 rifles and a few handguns.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:39:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2012 6:39:43 PM EDT by Colsrob]
Originally Posted By LAKings22:
2nd rifle sounds good to me. I'll start in August. Wish someone told me how addicting this was going to be

You should have visited the site before your first purchase. There is hardly a thread that someone doesn't mention that you/they/everyone will want more than just 1....or 2....or 10.

Me, I studied and learned about the BRD. I didn't really believe though. One is enough for me. That's why I already have parts on their way for my first build. I just didn't see it coming...even with the early warning.

In the end though, is it really a bad thing to have multiples?

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:41:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dhgeyer:
Before recommending almost an entire spare rifle, we should ask how much you plan to shoot, and how many rounds per session. Granted, a failure can happen at any time. But some parts fail more often than others, and some failures can be seen coming with regular inspections. I carry a complete bolt assembly, and two sighting systems. The sights aren't really as spares so much as I like to practice with irons and an ACOG. I typically shoot almost every day, but seldom more than 50 rounds per session. I think it's very unlikely that anything will break that I didn't see coming. You can buy an awful lot of practice ammo for the price of an upper or a spare rifle. On the other hand, if you get to the range once a month, it takes an hour to get to the range,  and you want to shoot hundreds of rounds at a time, then more spares, even a second firearm,  would make sense. Based on the 2000 rounds I've shot so far, I don't see any evidence of an impending failure of any kind, so I don't worry about it too much.

If he can afford it, why not have a some extra complete AR's? It's win-win. He starts having a nice collection, to which, the others have parts to get him by if needed. :)
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:08:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By iNeXile556:
I never go to the range without 3-4 rifles and a few handguns.

Since]I got my rifle, I've been to the range 5 or 6 times. I usually take 2 handguns with me and never get the chance to take them out the bag. This weekend I was going to practice only with my handguns but it's looking like the rifle is going to come out and play again.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:22:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Colsrob:

If he can afford it, why not have a some extra complete AR's? It's win-win. He starts having a nice collection, to which, the others have parts to get him by if needed. :)

I can't disagree with that with one caveat. You/I/he want to have lots of money left over for ammunition. They used to have a saying in the old West: "Beware the man with one gun - he knows how to use it.". I'd rather have one gun and put a few thousand rounds downrange in a variety of practical (and fun) exercises at different ranges, than have 5 guns that I have only put a few hundred rounds each through. I'll be a lot better shooter, and more effective with my firearm if it comes to that. Ammunition is the most important accessory, and often overlooked in the mad lust for bigger and shiner toys. If you can afford lots of toys and the ammunition to get good with them, then more power to you! My opinion of course.

I'm going to duck now.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:20:36 AM EDT
Better to have a spare rifle.  Over the years my spare parts was become eight spare rifles.  I do like a keep a bolt parts kit and LPK in the range bag.  When I go shooting I take six or more fire arms and hundreds of rounds of ammo.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:07:13 AM EDT
You should have spare parts for every firearm you own. For your AR i'd buy spare firing pins & retainer, extractor w/spring, insert and pin, ejector w/spring & pin, gas rings, cam pin, at least one complete set of all springs and detents and fire control parts. If you run it things will wear out or can break and it's best to have the spare parts on hand to fix it. A complete bolt is not a bad idea but i'd buy the individual parts first. I don't believe in the have a spare rifle instead of parts . When i buy another AR i buy spare parts, mags & ammo just for that firearm.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:11:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dhgeyer:
Originally Posted By Colsrob:

I can't disagree with that with one caveat. You/I/he want to have lots of money left over for ammunition. They used to have a saying in the old West: "Beware the man with one gun - he knows how to use it.". I'd rather have one gun and put a few thousand rounds downrange in a variety of practical (and fun) exercises at different ranges, than have 5 guns that I have only put a few hundred rounds each through. I'll be a lot better shooter, and more effective with my firearm if it comes to that. Ammunition is the most important accessory, and often overlooked in the mad lust for bigger and shiner toys. If you can afford lots of toys and the ammunition to get good with them, then more power to you! My opinion of course.

I'm going to duck now.

No way to disagree with that either.
Top Top