Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2003 10:41:52 AM EDT
Greetings from Cape Town, South Africa!

I'm glad you guys like our ammo so much! (You should come experience the rest of the country - you will really be pleasantly surprised.)

It seems most of this ammo is going to you - I have to pay R52.00 ($6.00) for a box of 30 over here...[>(]

I've noticed a few posts saying it is becoming scarce in the U.S. This is not good.

If someone can let me know who actually imports it into the U.S., I could perhaps trace the South African exporter and let them know that they must (1) never quit exporting it and (2) export even more of it. (South Africa can use the $ revenue.)

One more question: Do the cases of this ammo in the U.S. have "Denel" on the headstamp?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Capeboer,
Greetings and a BIG Bie Dankie!!!

I'll see if I can trace down the importer of the ammo in battle packs,but I suspect someone here already knows who it is.

The PMP stuff is coming in just fine it would seem though.

The ammo in the battle packs does not have Denel indicated on the headstamp from what I have seen.

I have visited the RSA and will be going back in 04'.
Nicest bunch of people I have ever had the privelige to meet anywhere.

Have a couple tall Lion lagers for me!
The stuff isn't imported here.

There is another area you guys could make a mint!
Your Beer is some of the finest on the planet, and hardly anyone here has ever had a taste.What a shame!

Keep safe!
S-28
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
[:D][:D][:D]

What a pleasant surprise! And in perfect Afrikaans! (I assume "Boknaai" is not your usual signature... LOL)

Is the PMP stuff packaged as hunting ammo? Maybe called ProAmm or such? (I would personally not use it for hunting when you guys have such excellent brands over there.)

Well, did you know that South African Breweries now owns Miller? So we're slowly getting there...

Many thanks for your kind remarks. You and your countrymen are welcome over here, anytime! And your troops are especially welcome to stop by on their way to certain, ehm, destinations that are closer to us than to you...

Really a pleasant surprise, S-28. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]
capeboer, saw some of your guys today at a gunshow in Dallas, Texas.  There are several hundred SA folks in town for the Dallas Safari Club Convention next weekend.  My friend and outfitter Coenraad Vermaak will have his crew here.  And your post reminds me to renew my subscription to Magnum this week.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
capeboer, greetings from Mississippi, USA!

South African 5,56x45 ammunition: Let's keep it flowing!
View Quote

Here, here!

Thats an awefully nice offer capeboer, thanks!

I love your surplus 5.56, it's my favorite ammo to shoot with my AR-180B.

It's a nice thought that by buying it, I'm also doing a little something to help your great country. [:D]

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#5]
capeboer,

The ammo which is getting scarce is the SA battlepack ammo.  It comes packed 30 to a box and 10 boxes in a brown plastic battlepack.  The year of manufacture is 1986 and a few other years.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Arock, I would give much to also be in Dallas next weekend! It's good to know our guys are well represented and that the safari trade is growing. It's really such a good deal for you guys to visit S.A. when you have a good outfitter etc. And Magnum magazine, yes - you must sigh often when reading the ads in there and converting rands to dollars...

AndrewB, it's only a pleasure. I have come to know that firearm enthusiasts in the U.S. (especially the guys in the various forums and in the auction sites) are just about all gentlemen of honour, so I'm glad to help where I can.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Capeboer,

If your guy's now own Miller.....
Does that mean Lion,Castle,and Hunters Gold will soon be in the coolers here in the States??

The PMP stuff we get here is NOT the ProAmm stuff.I don't think they had ANY intention of competing against the factory's here in the hunting line.

We get the PMP FMJ ammo with the Impala on the box.Good stuff,and reloadable brass.

If ya get up towards Kwazulu Natal(Winterton) on Holiday,or need hunting concessions, holler first and I'll get ya in touch with a B&B and outfitter for Ultralight tours of the Draks,Upland hunting,and other such fun.

No my Signature line just kinda slipped out there[:D]

Thanks to my Long time friend and Outfitter I spent 16 days toasting with folks by blurting out the line.The confusion on their faces,I was informed,was because they "Were unaccustomed to hearing a yank speak Afrkaans".
He let me in on the gag about 5 days before we finally left.

Like I said.Your people are the most accepting,polite,and wonderful folks I have ever encountered.....not one smacked me upside the head.

Hence,the wife and I Toast using the line here in the States.You would be surprised who comes out of the woodwork afterwards and declares
"Bol es Kak!" and from there it all goes downhill.

Come visit sometime yourself.

Keep safe!
S-28
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Kaapse boer, I have picked up Denel brass marked DNL on the firing ranges here in Arizona, so somebody must have them. I left SA in 1984, and I still miss it, but I love AZ. It's a paradise for a shooter, hunter and camper. I hunt coyotes with a varmint call when I'm not shooting highpower competitions with an AR15 or Garand matches mith an M1 Garand. I was pleasantly surprised when I started seeing the SA ammo here, the 308 Magnus was always a favorite of mine (inside joke). If you ever come visit Arizona, let me know. We also have a huge SA club here in Phoenix, and we have get togethers every 2 months or so.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:14:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Dagsê hagar!

Ek sal dit nou maar nie in Engels sê nie - jy weet seker die VSA goewerment het Denel spesifiek ge-swartlys omdat hulle wapens gesmokkel het in die dae voor 1994. So ek is verbaas dat daai DNL doppe daar lê... (Ek vang jou .308 Magnus grappie - [;)])

I'm glad to hear the Boere trekked as far as Phoenix! I've always wanted to visit AZ and may just do so in the next year or so. I have a friend in Georgia whose cousin lives in Phoenix, so many things become possible in terms of logistics. And I will make a note of your kind offer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:52:35 AM EDT
[#10]
There, now you've done it!  Gotta get to the library and start re-reading all those Wilbur Smith novels!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top